No announcement yet.

building autocross festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, that's what I'm figuring since it would be easier if they did.

and since you asked nicely I took a picture when I got home.

its a 93 that I've had since the summer of 2008. I've got some pictures of it autocross in stock form but I don't remember where I saved them. The explorers is mine too but it doesn't get driven that much since the festiva is getting at least 35 mpg on my commute and it could just get to 20 if I babied it.
    Last edited by blake4591; 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Well I got the Aspire trailing Arm on this weekend end but I didn't have my tie rod ends yet so the front will hopefully get done next weekend.

Comment

Has anyone ever used mk3 front struts?

I know the coil overs for the mk3 vws can be used so shouldn't the factory struts fit with the same modifications. I was just wondering because the golfs have around 150lb front springs. Seems like it could be a very cheap mod with a good balance of handling and ride comfort.

Comment

The factory VW spring seats are to large. The diameter of the spring
          will contact the inner side wall of the tire. Coil over kits would have to
          be added to the factory strut. The knuckle holes need one redrilled and
          camber bolts if you don't get it right. The rio upper bearing plate with a 20mm
          bearing retainer works in the front. The rear will need another inch of
          rubber material added to the spring seat. The top hats in the coil over kits
          are a joke and should reinforced..a giant washer works well. The springs
          in most coil over kits are pretty stiff, lighter ones will feel better on the
          street.
          Last edited by Movin; 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well I figure I should probably update this now.

I have the Aspire swap done except for the front swaybar still waiting to get new ploy bushings for it. I ended up just putting Rio front struts and springs on for now because I might be driving 80 to 100 miles a day all summer and wanted reasonable ride quality, so far I like it a lot (bearing top plates are really nice). Still have to decide what I'm going to do for rear struts and probably work out getting the Falkens to fit for autocrossing, oh and pick up some camber bolts.

Oh if anyone is interested I have the Festiva front hubs that I just rebuilt over the summer with bearings, rotors and brake pads all of it only has between 5 to 8 thousands miles. Will be posting in for sale section.
            Last edited by blake4591; 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X