Stretched Rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretched Rubber

Anybody think about stretching rubber (sidewalls) to the rims? It would allow wider rims and deeper dish. Kinda a euro thing but maybe you guys could play with it....

tell me what you think

I think stuff like that should stay on VWVortex... I think it looks retarded personally...
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

damn... not really what i expected but ok, and to tell you the truth over half the people on vortex dont like it either. But I love it!

EDIT: another thing... I'm just making suggestions, broadening peoples horizons... and i think I've seen a few wheels poking in the galleries

Comment

I can't stand that look. It says to me that the person spent all their money on "rimz" and could afford a decent set of tires.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
          I can't stand that look. It says to me that the person spent all their money on "rimz" and could afford a decent set of tires.
          "rimz"? what do you mean by that?

Ill tell you where it originated from. In Germany people are all about deep lips on BBS and "going wide" but there's a law that prevents them from doing so. German law says you cannot have tread outside of the fender, so with that in mind people started to stretch smaller tires over big wheels and keeping the tread within the fenders.

my friend Russ owns a corrado and stretched rubber over a set of 17" BBS rs's (15 sets left in the WORLD) 9.5in wide in the rear and 9in in the front. before he did his wide body the tread stuck out 1/4 inch out of the rear fender. His grandfather (old German dude) came over and saw the tread and said "your out of spec put a 195 on it and you'll be fine". People say its unsafe, ridiculous, and all around stupid but i think its tradition and I'm sorry you cant understand that.

Comment

You're right, I can't understand it.

Aside from how it looks, it really IS unsafe. Just because some people in germany like making their cars unsafe, doesn't mean I have to put up with it here. You asked what we thought, and I told you. You might as well have asked about huge wings, lambo doors, or type R stickers. :roll:

"rimz" is an attempted dig at someone who would spend more for wheels than they do on rent. They are wheels, the rim is the outside edge of the wheel.

I won't say any more in this thread since this isn't the arena.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

i am sorry,

is this the pimp my ride thread?????????????? :roll:

Comment

Stretching isnt unsafe. I know people that stretch and rail in the colorado canyons with no problem, no blow outs and no bent or scratched wheel. In fact i know someone that had poped the sunroof out of the tracks railing without a problem with the tires. Look at some of the D1 drift circuit cars, Stretched sidewalls, DRIFTERS! with stretched sidewalls, 550 hp and think about the strain on their tires. If it wasn't safe why would they do it?

I'm just bringing in new ideas from another group of car guys. I thought you all embraced new ideas and odd opinions. Thought that's why you all decided to build festivas and aspires and not the normal Honda civic or Acura integra.

You are right i did ask for opinions but not complete insults and put downs. You guys suck... i just do a TDI swap in my GTI... :?

by the way the "rimz" above are widened steelies, cost less than the Toyo T1S's that are around them... Jumping to conclusions....

Comment

SOMEBODY'S gotta do a VW TDI in a Festiva.

My Mutt already has VW alloys on it. Hmmmm, if only I had more experience. I'd do it. Then I'd be burning fry grease to get around for almost free, laughing at all the poor suckers paying for (and guzzling) gasoline!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

We just don't see a reason for that because in our country USA we can run whatever width tire we please. For a set of 9" rims you should get the most out of it by running a 9" tire, more traction = better imo.. And the reason drifters do it is to get less traction.. They started out with wide tires and realized it was easier to break the backend loose with a smaller tire. -Kyle
                    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dubkid
                      Stretching isnt unsafe. I know people that stretch and rail in the colorado canyons with no problem, no blow outs and no bent or scratched wheel. In fact i know someone that had poped the sunroof out of the tracks railing without a problem with the tires. Look at some of the D1 drift circuit cars, Stretched sidewalls, DRIFTERS! with stretched sidewalls, 550 hp and think about the strain on their tires. If it wasn't safe why would they do it?

I'm just bringing in new ideas from another group of car guys. I thought you all embraced new ideas and odd opinions. Thought that's why you all decided to build festivas and aspires and not the normal Honda civic or Acura integra.

You are right i did ask for opinions but not complete insults and put downs. You guys suck... i just do a TDI swap in my GTI... :?

by the way the "rimz" above are widened steelies, cost less than the Toyo T1S's that are around them... Jumping to conclusions....
                      I won't and don't like to judge anyone, lest I be judged myself.... Anyway, yes, stretching IS unsafe (please see information published by the Tire Industry of America). So is simply under or overinflating a tire. Just be sure you are willing to accept any consequences that may result from a potential failure, ie., the injury or death of another motorist or pedestrian due to the loss of control of your vehicle, as a direct result of the failure of the wheel/tire assembly. Keep in mind, any professional drifter is doing so on a closed course, with a vehicle specifically prepared for that type of competion, and with the expectation that something could fail, and appropriate emergency responce personnel are available. On a public street, this practice is reckless and irresponsible, just like jacked-up Camaros and Mustangs back in the day. And I think it kinda looks cool!
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

You'll get a ticket around here real quick for that.. It tried to become a fad down here a few years ago.. but if a cop sees it now, he can deem the car unsafe to drive and either you must have it towed away immediately or they call the impound wreckers.. Houston now has a law that says that your car can't be on the side of the highway for more than 30 minutes or it's impounded.

Comment

^ you know Detroit should share some laws with Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                            You'll get a ticket around here real quick for that.. It tried to become a fad down here a few years ago.. but if a cop sees it now, he can deem the car unsafe to drive and either you must have it towed away immediately or they call the impound wreckers.. Houston now has a law that says that your car can't be on the side of the highway for more than 30 minutes or it's impounded.
                            Yea, if your car is broke down its 30 mins, but if you lay dieing in street, its hours.
                            97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
                            92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
                            95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

the scariest thing is I know vdub guys around here who are putting out more than 300whp and trying to race on tires like that....

Comment

Working...
                              X