Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X2 this has got to be stickied! Great write up for sure! Glad to see my alignment set up is similar to yours!

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

^ EXACTLY what I was hoping you would say. Thanks, I'll give it a shot then! I have one set of 150# and one set of 200# springs, I'll probably use the 150 first and see how it feels.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        ^ EXACTLY what I was hoping you would say. Thanks, I'll give it a shot then! I have one set of 150# and one set of 200# springs, I'll probably use the 150 first and see how it feels.
        That sounds like a good range for the aspire since it's a little heavier than the festiva. You should get body roll before slide in a good neutral curve. When you notice traction problems exiting the apex ( with smooth rolling throttle input) then it's time for more spring in the rear. I'm not sure what my rake is at because I don't have a baseline to go off of, but the front seems to be a couple inches lower than the back, this helps put the cars weight on the important wheels.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

How much did all the parts cost you?

Comment

WOW very nice man! look's like fun !

Comment

charlie you are a sick man
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Most of this performance stuff is gobble-dee-gook to me. But seeing pictures of narrowed-down springs is curious. Would allow Aspire/Rio swappers to take advantage of wheel well space when moving on to modern tires.
                13s/14s and 15s are achievable, provided there is room, and in most cases, escaping from the old 145/12s is not that simple.
                It's the diameter of the springs (and location of the spring perch) that are holding most of us back.
                Keep up the good work. And keep us DD and other ordinary folks in mind.

Comment

Thanks, it is a ton fun.

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
                  How much did all the parts cost you?
                  I'll post a parts list with prices and where to get things if I get some time tonight. I don't know off the top of my head what it all cost. It's pricey for what a Festiva was designed to do, but extremely cheap for the performance of the car. This car can dance with cars that use 2 grand worth of tires in a weekend.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

So far I've read the first post, I NEED to find time to finish reading all that great info

Once I get more time, I'll sticky this thread or move it to the article section

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      Most of this performance stuff is gobble-dee-gook to me. But seeing pictures of narrowed-down springs is curious. Would allow Aspire/Rio swappers to take advantage of wheel well space when moving on to modern tires.
                      13s/14s and 15s are achievable, provided there is room, and in most cases, escaping from the old 145/12s is not that simple.
                      It's the diameter of the springs (and location of the spring perch) that are holding most of us back.
                      Keep up the good work. And keep us DD and other ordinary folks in mind.
                      Will do. After all, Tweak gets driven to work almost daily. I also have 2 bone stock festivas, so I can relate. Lol. This setup works great with 185mm tires that are around 21" outer diameter. I have 38mm of offset on 5.5" wide wheels and I use 1/4" spacers on the rear. My tire size is 185/60/13 but these R888 tires have a very wide contact patch for a 185mm tire, it's wider than most 195mm tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        So far I've read the first post, I NEED to find time to finish reading all that great info

Once I get more time, I'll sticky this thread or move it to the article section
                        Thanks Chris, I'm glad to share this stuff with everyone. I apologize for being long winded, but I believe there is more to a car than the sum of it's parts. Glad you enjoy the thread.

Comment

Just so I got this straight....

A Festy pulling 1.5 g's with the only mods being home-made (albeit well engineered) shock/spring assemblies, good tires and alignment tweeks? Almost makes you feel guilty doesn't it? When the high dollar car owners ask what you did, do you feel sorry for them and lie?
                          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

:thumbright:
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                              Just so I got this straight....

A Festy pulling 1.5 g's with the only mods being home-made (albeit well engineered) shock/spring assemblies, good tires and alignment tweeks? Almost makes you feel guilty doesn't it? When the high dollar car owners ask what you did, do you feel sorry for them and lie?
                              Lol, I tell them how little is done to the chassis and they just think that I'm a driving phenomenon. Lol. I'm not at all, this car makes it easy.

Comment

So if I put lowering springs on, should I lenghten or shorten my bump stops? I need new ones anyway, they fell out in pieces when I removed the cover on the shocks.
                                Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM.
                                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                                X