This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Advanced Suspension Mods

So, if not black magic, what spring can I use. Just need somthing to make it driveable. Right now, the tires rub if I hit a bump with groceries in the trunk. Height is fine with two people, I am guessing 4 will be impossible. So until I can get better setup all together, a nice 150lb progressive 8inch would do... if I could find one!

Help!

Lol
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Your suspension bottoming out when under load could be caused by a few factors.
      What suspension have you got in there at the moment?
      How old is it?
      Is it modified in any way?
      1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
        With the 1 7/8" coilover mod and camber/toe plates the fenders that were intended for those little humble 145/12's can be stuffed with 7" of hoosier at a 4+ inch drop.
        Love your work, mate!!!

I took my gr2 rears to work last week. The guys in engineering are shortening the shafts as I type this.

Will be putting them on along with the aspire rear end shortly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huli View Post
          So, if not black magic, what spring can I use. Just need somthing to make it driveable. Right now, the tires rub if I hit a bump with groceries in the trunk. Height is fine with two people, I am guessing 4 will be impossible. So until I can get better setup all together, a nice 150lb progressive 8inch would do... if I could find one!

Help!
          Gotcha, well that all depends on the questions moz asked. Some people on here have been able to use different combinations of certain oem springs. Civic and Miata ring a bell, but I have no experience with doing these swaps. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

Lol
          Originally posted by moz View Post
          Love your work, mate!!!

I took my gr2 rears to work last week. The guys in engineering are shortening the shafts as I type this.

Will be putting them on along with the aspire rear end shortly.
          Awesome! Glad to hear, keep is posted on your progress.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Please advise on an oem spring that will work until I can get the coilover setup together.
            HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
            "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

In order to give you a better indication of what you need, we need to know what suspension you are running currently (eg. Stock, stock with cut springs, aspire). When the car is empty, does it sit at its normal height? If you were to put weight on the back of the car, does is sink instantly?
              If you can't answer these questions, then for the sake of safety, I can only point you to a suspension shop.

Comment

• Originally posted by moz View Post
                In order to give you a better indication of what you need, we need to know what suspension you are running currently (eg. Stock, stock with cut springs, aspire). When the car is empty, does it sit at its normal height? If you were to put weight on the back of the car, does is sink instantly?
                If you can't answer these questions, then for the sake of safety, I can only point you to a suspension shop.
                Incoming current setup:
                Front - 2004 Kia Rio knuckles with springs cut (1.5 coils as indicated in that swap thread). New Monroe Festiva struts. All other parts new and festiva.
                Rear - Aspire rear beam, stock festiva springs (suck), New Monroe struts.

I like how it rides with just me in it. The rear needs to be about 1/2" higher when sitting empty to look right, and it is way to low when I put stuff in the car. 2 people and six bags of groceries make it bottom out on some road bumps. 4 people is just not going to happen, and I need it to at least have my kids in the back.

Eventually, I am going VW coil overs. Right now, just want to be able to drive it w/o worries of ripping my new tires to shreds.

Thanks!
                Last edited by Huli; 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM.
                "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Perhaps get some aspire rear springs for the time being?
                  Aspires were about 400lbs heavier than the festiva.
                  Strut should be OK if its new. But maybe there's a problem there too.

Comment

• Got 2001 Rio struts today, going to install them tomorrow waiting for the paint to dry.
                    1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                    2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
                      Perhaps get some aspire rear springs for the time being?
                      Aspires were about 400lbs heavier than the festiva.
                      Strut should be OK if its new. But maybe there's a problem there too.
                      I would love to get those springs, where?

Don't want to get used because by the time you realize one is no good it is too late. I found a new set of 4, but for that price I can amlost get the VW c/o's

I was thinking of maybe a vehicle still supported by aftermarket. Honda? Mazda?
                      Last edited by Huli; 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM.
                      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

What about Kia Pride Wagon springs? http://www.koraps.com/shop/item.php?it_id=1284139 :what:
                        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

• Originally posted by Huli View Post
                          I would love to get those springs, where?

Don't want to get used because by the time you realize one is no good it is too late. I found a new set of 4, but for that price I can amlost get the VW c/o's

I was thinking of maybe a vehicle still supported by aftermarket. Honda? Mazda?
                          I used stock Honda civic springs and cut them down on my white car and it rides pretty good and the springs are progressive rate so bottoming out is a thing of the past

and i was respectfully thinking that charlies write up thread may not be the best place for this convorsation, respectfully
                          Last edited by bobbyspider; 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM.
                          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I would buy a used set for now.
                            How long til you get your coil overs?
                            Either that or just bite the bullet and get the coil overs now.

The Kia wagon springs... I don't know.
                            I'm pretty sure they'll be too high. And its against my religion to cut springs. They're designed with a certain amount of coils and travel for a reason.

Comment

Bobbyspider, how much did you cut from the civic springs in the rear? I will just get lowering ones of the amount you cut.

Unless the JY gets a nice looking one on accident.
                              "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                                and i was respectfully thinking that charlies write up thread may not be the best place for this convorsation, respectfully
                                True.
                                Apologies to charlie for participating.
                                Can moderators remove the past few posts?

Comment

Working...
                                X