Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread offers the best option for ultimate versatility and fine tuning to specific needs. However, if you do a lot of hauling, your rear suspension needs just as much attention, if not more. Dragonhealer has composed a very effective solution for the hard working festiva. He uses Miata rear springs and long VW bump stops.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogaslackers View Post
      I'm using my Festiva as a heavy hauler... Looking to upgrade the front suspension. What is the best route? Can someone point me to an existing thread? My 13" tires are rubbing when I turn. Looking for the simplest solution. 1.6l with full aspire upgrade. Thanks
      If the Aspire swap includes the struts, They may actually lower the car ,which would be a problem.
      My solution, on a pennies budget, in the front Aspire knuckles, hubs and brakes, on stock Festiva struts and springs, with rubber spring packings for 2000 Miata (lower) and URO bumper 357412303F (these are a little longer than the URO 1H0412303B which I tried first). In the rear, Aspire beam complete, but I cut out the added torsion bar , and stock Festiva struts and springs with the Miata spring packings and URO bumper 1J0512131B.
      This works amazingly well, each spring packing and bumper is less than $5. When I set up to tow a trailer, the only change I made was to swap out the rear springs for 90-93 Miata rear springs. (this also works well if you habitually haul 2 engines + crap )
      No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
        If the Aspire swap includes the struts, They may actually lower the car ,which would be a problem.
        My solution, on a pennies budget, in the front Aspire knuckles, hubs and brakes, on stock Festiva struts and springs, with rubber spring packings for 2000 Miata (lower) and URO bumper 357412303F (these are a little longer than the URO 1H0412303B which I tried first). In the rear, Aspire beam complete, but I cut out the added torsion bar , and stock Festiva struts and springs with the Miata spring packings and URO bumper 1J0512131B.
        This works amazingly well, each spring packing and bumper is less than $5. When I set up to tow a trailer, the only change I made was to swap out the rear springs for 90-93 Miata rear springs. (this also works well if you habitually haul 2 engines + crap )
        Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, and please pardon me for getting lost in a 40+ page thread. I'm just making sure that I understand what is referred to here as a "spring packing". Is that in reference to what I would call a spring seat or isolator? (little rubber doughnut that the coil spring sits on?).
        Also I gather the miata springs give a bit of a lift in the rear? could the same springs be used on mk1 shocks or even the stiffer ~118lb springs from an NB (NA miata springs are something like 95lbs)?

Comment

• Sure jdobbs86, "spring packing" is an English carry-over from my British car days. Spring isolator or insulator would be the American terms. The Festiva ones are always perished out here, and not readily available.
          I have not tried the NB rear spring, but it ought to go in too.Don't go for more spring rate than you need, but feel free to go stiffer on a long bump stop. You will want about 1-1/2" travel/space when unladen before the bump stop comes into play, and yes, this is about a 2" lift in the rear. This allows the suspension to work well when unladen. It's simple enough to try it out (except those pesky trim panels inside)

The outside diameter of these springs is apx. 4-1/8, 4-3/16. I don't know the size of the VW springs, perhaps Charlie can elucidate?
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 09-18-2015, 09:21 AM. Reason: left out info
          No car too fast !

Comment

• Thanks! I decided to do a little digging on the google machine which yielded a VW forum post claiming the following rough specs for MK1 springs:

Front

Length - 28cm / Top OD - 10.3CM / Top ID - 8.0cm / Bottom OD - 13.6CM / Bottom ID - 11.3cm

Rear

Length - 34cm / OD 9.8cm / ID - 8.0cm

(citation: http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.ph...rd-spec-needed)

Using fractional measurements for some reason (i kid...i kid) that gives us roughly a 3 7/8 outside diameter for the stock MK1 spring. Which means I might be pretty close to fitting on the MK1 seat with the miata springs. A concern might be the overall length and design of the seat. If the MK1 seat is sort of flat-ish i might be alright given the miata spring packings .

Comment

• The vw springs are roughly 3.70 o.d. and 2.96 i.d.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• So the spring pan on the VW strut is too small to accept the Mazda/Festiva spring
                No car too fast !

Comment

• or perhaps the VW strut (with removable seat) accepts the seat from a Fazda strut?

Comment

• My festiva spring seats are welded on but I don't think the Miata ones are. Want me to try to pull one and measure the ID ?
                    No car too fast !

Comment

• oh man, if you have one handy that would certainly save me some time

Comment

• Some of the cheaper festiva rear shocks have a press fit spring perch. I've seen them in salvage yards and I think I have a set from Pedro. Those may be usable on a kyb VW shock. The VW spring perch is removable.
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-18-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          Some of the cheaper festiva rear shocks have a press fit spring perch. I've seen them in salvage yards and I think I have a set from Pedro. Those may be usable on a kyb VW shock. The VW spring perch is removable.
                          intriguing... if I get into experimental mode would you want to make a few bucks and ship them to michigan (save me from buying a whole set of shocks)?

Comment

• When I get a chance I'll see if I can press them off, and I'll see if they fit the vdub bumpsticks.

Comment

• as is usual, you remain the man

Comment

• The OE Miata spring perches will not come off, but the Monroe Sensa-trak ones will!
                                ID of the spring perch is 1.872"

Charlie, can you post that DIA from the KYB VW shock?
                                Last edited by Dragonhealer; 09-18-2015, 03:41 PM. Reason: more
                                No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                                X