Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Charlie, I'm curious to get your recommendations for a really good 14" tire for my Festy--as in V-rated. I am willing to go directional, and summer-only. The only thing I have found in a 14 is the Yokohama s.drive in 185/55-14. What do you think of that tire as a dd tire? I am not concerned about wear, only performance/fun. I am currently driving H-rated tires in 185/60-14.

For that matter, what are the good 13" tires out there for street performance? IIRC you had 13s on Tweak.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-22-2015, 04:45 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• For ultimate street performance, the Yokohama Advan A048 in a 185/60-13 on 13x7 or wider (if you can fit them) rims. Those tires are very expensive and wear out quickly. Mine lasted almost 1000 miles!
      My suggestion for a great performing tire is the Federal Formoza FD1 in a 165/55-14. They are a great dry weather tire, and do okay in the rain.
      I suggest a 165mm wide tire on a Festiva for street use because the contact patch is ideal for the weight of these little cars. There isn't enough weight to make use of a 185 or wider tire and they don't fit under the car well anyway. The 185mm R compound tires only work better because they are designed to heat up and get sticky, like race slicks do.I ran 165/45-15 Federals on Tweak for the street and loved them. They also last a long time.
      On the track, the Federal tires will overheat if you drive the car for everything it's got. Street driving is nowhere near as hard on tires as track driving.
      One thing to remember is pressure on the road is more important than wide tires when we're talking performance.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-22-2015, 05:02 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Thanks Charlie! The research continues......will the 165/55 format fit well on a 6" wide rim?

the Federal Formoza FD1
        Last edited by TominMO; 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• 165 fits a 6" just fine, straight sidewall, crisp handling.
          No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
            165 fits a 6" just fine, straight sidewall, crisp handling.
            Thanks!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• I put those Federal Formoza's on my Daisy's and the fit and look perfect. Haven't had them on the road yet but will soon. Thanks Charlie
              -Bryant

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Here is one of the little bushings that I made to tighen up the gap between the VW strut and the mazda strut bearing. It threads on to the strut and is held in place with loctite sleeve retainer.

Here is the top spacer that I made, I was trying to use the stock capri o-ring to seal the bearing but it didn't work. This piece isn't really necessary.

Here is the strut top secured to the strut

And this is the hollowed out festiva strut top. I glued them together when I had my ride height and camber set where I wanted them. This setup raises the strut mounting point about an inch up from stock location which means more shock travel at lower ride heights.

And here it is installed. I'm now using the filler springs, but I didn't at the ride height I ran with my 15" wheels.
                so you glued that rusty wallered out piece to "strut top secured to the strut"

sorry, im miserable with suspension talk.
                Last edited by bhearts; 05-05-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Yes sir. That allowed the strut bearings to be in an unloaded state at the ride height I chose. Gravity holds it together most of the time. The glue just kept it from falling apart unloaded. Tweak still has those mounts to this day. I now just use Kia Rio mounts though. I didn't know about those when I made my own.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Charlie, Or anyone else who has performed the hybrid VW/Southwest speed coilover:

First let me say I did search, and I read probably the last 200+ posts from charlie about strus/springs for the festy rears and here is what I have waiting to pull the trigger on, waiting on advice from folks who have actually driven this combo.......

In my cart at Southwest Speed I have (2) #180-000 sleeves, (2)#180-036 nuts(do I want4?) and (2)015-010 (#105) 8"L springs..... I would like to run fairly low so should I do #90?120?10"? The car has a B6t with ATX. Will not be put on a track but will get driven appropriatly for what it was built for......The car once had a full air suspension(RODE and DROVE HORRID) and I am in the process of getting the car back on the road as my DD.... I want a comfortable ride. Right now I have the cheapo 2.5 coilovers on Tokiko struts(Maxima maybe?) and they are waaay too hard...read as scary on the highway.....

As a place where others can find it I also have the 93 Cabriolet KYB strut #341007 for use within the 1 7/8 sleeves from Southwest Speed.

So my question is specifically about the springs. If I want a ride that is on the lower side and can be tossed spiritedly on the road, but still mainitain a good level of comfort which spring rate do I want to choose? Thank you for youe expertise........

Comment

• I am running 150lb fronts and 105lb rears on Pedro right now on KYB VW cabriolet rear shocks and VW Bilstein coilovers on the front. The ride is comfortable, about 2.5" lower than stock (and can go lower if I want) and it performs well enough to put down respectable lap times on a challenging road coarse. I would run softer front springs with a B3 engine. Pedro is B6D.

Comment

• Originally posted by red90festyonair View Post
                        Charlie, Or anyone else who has performed the hybrid VW/Southwest speed coilover:

First let me say I did search, and I read probably the last 200+ posts from charlie about strus/springs for the festy rears and here is what I have waiting to pull the trigger on, waiting on advice from folks who have actually driven this combo.......

In my cart at Southwest Speed I have (2) #180-000 sleeves, (2)#180-036 nuts(do I want4?) and (2)015-010 (#105) 8"L springs..... I would like to run fairly low so should I do #90?120?10"? The car has a B6t with ATX. Will not be put on a track but will get driven appropriatly for what it was built for......The car once had a full air suspension(RODE and DROVE HORRID) and I am in the process of getting the car back on the road as my DD.... I want a comfortable ride. Right now I have the cheapo 2.5 coilovers on Tokiko struts(Maxima maybe?) and they are waaay too hard...read as scary on the highway.....

As a place where others can find it I also have the 93 Cabriolet KYB strut #341007 for use within the 1 7/8 sleeves from Southwest Speed.

So my question is specifically about the springs. If I want a ride that is on the lower side and can be tossed spiritedly on the road, but still mainitain a good level of comfort which spring rate do I want to choose? Thank you for youe expertise........
                        You will want the 10" springs. I remember someone else posting that even with the 10", they had to have the adjuster nut all the way at the top. It will still be lower by a couple of inches than stock struts. Take some before-and-after measurements at the top of the fender arch.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• ^what Tom said. !0" rears must be used, it would be nice to get 12" long 90b springs, but southwest doesn't carry them. I don't have applicable before and after measurements because I have smaller diameter tires on the car, but when I put some bigger tires on I'll give a number to compare with stock.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-13-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

^what Tom said. !0" rears must be used, it would be nice to get 12" long 90b springs, but southwest doesn't carry them. I don't have applicable before and after measurements because I have smaller diameter tires on the car, but when I put some bigger tires on I'll give a number to compare with stock.
                            Charlie, how hard would it be to fab up a 2" spacer for the top? Would you be interested in making them for people who got a specific top mount, like one from SW Speed or some other one, for the coilovers?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              Charlie, how hard would it be to fab up a 2" spacer for the top? Would you be interested in making them for people who got a specific top mount, like one from SW Speed or some other one, for the coilovers?
                              Cliferton made a set of deep top spring hats and they are being tested on his car. He sent me the CAD file, and either of us could have a batch made up if there is enough interest. I'm assuming between 40-50 dollars a set. Joe (Shorestiva) drove Pedro around last night, with the 150/105 combo and he seemed to like the ride too.

Comment

Cliferton made a set of deep top spring hats and they are being tested on his car. He sent me the CAD file, and either of us could have a batch made up if there is enough interest. I'm assuming between 40-50 dollars a set. Joe (Shorestiva) drove Pedro around last night, with the 150/105 combo and he seemed to like the ride too.
                                I'd be in for two sets.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X