No announcement yet.

Custom strut bar mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Those are nice. I would buy a set in a heart beat.

Comment

I'd buy one too. Also, movin, get a bracket from a 89 auto. Those don't stick up that far, coil bracket that is.
      Last edited by 91blufestiva; 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM.
      -Josh R

Comment

I must learn this sorcery!
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

I really gotta admire you 'trades' guys for continually experimenting with beautifully made and sound design structural improvements and/but I have to ask is: How much flex is there between the strut towers anyway? How much difference does a strut bar make and how do you know and where does this translate into performance and handling?

Festys are essentially cardboard boxes (to include the roof pillars) and from jacking one up at a corner it is easy to see how well 18 gauge folds and creases and sheetmetal spot-welded corners work together in comparison to an old-fashioned ladder frame vehicle which can flex in any direction.

I'm currently trying to define how much Rio top hats (with bearings) improve upon OEM Festy, and Aspire, washer upon washer front end setups are for turning the front wheels. The difference is firsthand readily obvious since I drive both type of cars but how to quantify or qualify the difference is a whole other kettle of fish. Had my power steering 86 F150 out the other day and could readily equate with Rio top hats (on a Festy) in perceived ease of turning the wheel but that, in itself, is not going to make hundreds of Festy nuts run out to invest time and money in Rio parts.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Bert wrote:

"Had my power steering 86 F150 out the other day and could readily equate with Rio top hats (on a Festy) in perceived ease of turning the wheel but that, in itself, is not going to make hundreds of Festy nuts run out to invest time and money in Rio parts."

Cost is another factor. I got a pair of brand new Rio (Monroe?) strut mounts, with bearings(!), cheaper than I could have gotten new Festiva or Aspire mounts with or without those crappy plastic washers. On sale, of course, from Advance, IIRC.

Compare prices between new strut mounts & bearings, quality of parts, and the difference between new Festiva/Aspire struts vs. a pair of six to eight year old Rio struts (or newer ones if you luck out at the 'yard) that still have plenty of life left in them (especially considering they may have sat for a year or so after the timing belt broke).

Just gotta compare all that stuff and many times the advantages of Rio front end stuff will make sense. And to be truthful, sometimes not.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              ..stop givin me ideas! I just finished this lol
              no way! Giving you ideas is great! You turn those ideas into reality in an amazingly short amount of time! Looking good Matt!
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Yup! Ideaz iz good!!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

i want one for the festiva!!!

Comment

What happened with this project?
                    Were any Festiva brace supports ever cast?

Comment

I've run the bar on my GTXR2 for some time, feels great. Turns out it won't fit a stock Capri, fits mine perfect with the BP swap though. I've found a source for bars & have to re-design the mounts to work, I'll update this when I get there.

As far as Festiva bars go, I took some measurements from SafetyGuy's car but I've lost them in some time in the last year or so. Festyboy should drive up here one weekend though so I can make mounts & test fit them
                      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

i can do that.... i just learned i have more PTO than i thought: WIN!
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

if i just send you the FMS piece cant you just make a cast from it? would you need both sides or just 1?

Comment

when all is said and done, what would you be looking for in the way of deniro's to make this a reality for the people who cry more more more?
                            Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                            Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km
                            City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Great news. I hope this will be designed to go over the lid of both the the stock Festiva carb air cleaner as well as the EFI plenum. You would get the most customers.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I would be interested in a set myself
                                Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                                Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                                Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                                WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X