Sway Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think someone wanted a Rio front end pic. Here's some of an '01 to '02:

All taken more than a year ago at PnP. I got my current struts and mounts for Aqua off this one.

Oh, and all pics were of the right side except for the last one. So don't get confused.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

SAM_0185.jpg
      sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but ive been thinking about going this route my self. i just dont know how the bushing part(the ring like thingy) attaches to the Rio body/frame? ive searched the web for pictures of the Rio's under side but no luck? anyone know?
      Last edited by pseudoki; 02-26-2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Looks like a plate like the Festiva sway bar front sits under but with a bolt sticking down through the bushing in the link. Not my favorite way of doing a bushing. I'd rather it rotated than constantly trying to rip apart when it moves.
        Last edited by sketchman; 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Sketch that diagram is deceiving... it doesn't look like Safety Guys first pic on post #31. I always liked the Rio front/rear end and have been dreaming of a way to incorporate it into my DD spire. But the front LCA torque box pivot point is at a completely different angle than the festy/aspire. I love the 3rd link they added into the Rio rear also. Kia really did a nice job refining the already existing chassis. Too bad they had such a problem with timing belts breaking-
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The vertical locations are off in that view, but the parts are all there, minus the sway bar. Just have to look hard enough.

Should look more like this.
            Last edited by sketchman; 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Just thought I'd add my experience on the topic...

When I did my Aspire brake swap I included the Aspire sway bar. Handling was an improved all round but still didn't seem quite right. My setup included FMS springs and KYB GR2 struts & shocks. I'm also running a B6 with numerous performance mods.

While we were on our trip to Festiva Madness back in 2011 with a full car something cropped up that I couldn't quite figure out at first, things just didn't feel right. On sharper corners the inside front wheel would quite often lose traction. This seemed to happen even at slow speeds and on dry pavement. The more I thought about it the more I realized that it was in fact a result of the stiffer front sway bar. After a few conversations with fellow enthusiasts I decided to reinstall the stock Festiva bar.

I'm very happy with the stock Festiva sway bar compared to the Aspire one. Don't know how to explain it but it just feels better than the Aspire bar. The car feels very planted at speed through corners. So for those doing the Aspire brake swap I wouldn't worry about putting on the larger sway bar, in my experience and opinion it's not worth it. I'll be keeping the stock sway bar on the B6T project car too.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Oooh, thanks sketchman. You would think it'd be a more complex and beefier setup but it does look much like the feativas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                  Just thought I'd add my experience on the topic...

When I did my Aspire brake swap I included the Aspire sway bar. Handling was an improved all round but still didn't seem quite right. My setup included FMS springs and KYB GR2 struts & shocks. I'm also running a B6 with numerous performance mods.

While we were on our trip to Festiva Madness back in 2011 with a full car something cropped up that I couldn't quite figure out at first, things just didn't feel right. On sharper corners the inside front wheel would quite often lose traction. This seemed to happen even at slow speeds and on dry pavement. The more I thought about it the more I realized that it was in fact a result of the stiffer front sway bar. After a few conversations with fellow enthusiasts I decided to reinstall the stock Festiva bar.

I'm very happy with the stock Festiva sway bar compared to the Aspire one. Don't know how to explain it but it just feels better than the Aspire bar. The car feels very planted at speed through corners. So for those doing the Aspire brake swap I wouldn't worry about putting on the larger sway bar, in my experience and opinion it's not worth it. I'll be keeping the stock sway bar on the B6T project car too.
                  The Aspire sway bar swap in a Festy push's the Tire backwards. Its obvious when you look at the tire not centered in the wheel.This has got to be Hell on LCA rubber bushing located in the torque box.Also it gonna change the caster and geometry of the suspension. just my two cents
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Hello, Has anyone used the top (engine compartment) aftermarket sway bar/strut tower support? If so, what benefits were noticed after installation and where do you buy this piece? Thanks in advance and take care, Al from Alsip, IL

Comment

You'll get much better results by reinforcing the front lower core support.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

The core support mod is definitely worth it. My turbo car has the modded core support.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
                        X