Aspire Swap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Swap Question

What is the difference between doing an aspire brake swap w/ the aspire swing arm and keeping the stock?
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Bolt circle. Brakes are a little bigger. Stiffer arm.
    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Spindle bolt holes are slightly different. Rear Aspire beam has built in rod to stiffen it more.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

But it can be done w/o it right?

Comment

Done without what part?
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

By swing arm do you mean the sway bar, the lower control arm, or the u-shaped tortion beam trailing arms?
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

My bad, i shoulda been more clear about that. i mean the rear axle beam/sway bar

Comment

I've done or helped on 3 swaps. In my opinion, It's better to change the rear beam. 1. it's a newer part, 2. It's stiffer and handles better plus it's set up to work with the front ASpire suspension. 3. Then you don't have to drill out the spindle bolt holes on your Fesiva beam. I even put the 5/8" rod in my Aspire beam. I like the way it handles now. My silver 90L has 97 auto Aspire suspension. My 93L has 97 Aspire Manual suspension. I'm sure there's other opinions about what i've done to mine but, I like the handling of it and I"ve been driving it (90L) for 22.5 yrs. It now handles and stops like it should have from the factory.
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

To me, availabilty is a problem. If I want to use 4x100 wheels, then can I aspire swap the front end, and somehow setup the stock festiva rear to match the lug pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                    To me, availabilty is a problem. If I want to use 4x100 wheels, then can I aspire swap the front end, and somehow setup the stock festiva rear to match the lug pattern?
                    I have the same problem. I looked up info on the 90s Honda Civics, and from what I can tell(which is not much yet) you might be able to use manual trans rear floating drums, shoes, and the bearing/hub assembly all from the Civic with the stock Festiva rear end. To be clear I have NOT done anything in the real world with this idea. Just webernet searches.

Here's what I found
                    Stock Festiva inner wheel bearing race inner diameter and Civic cartridge bearing inner diameter are VERY close as follows:
                    Civic inner diameter 27.5mm
                    Festiva inner diameter 27.3mm
                    Stock Festiva rear drums and manual trans Civic rear drums are VERY close as follows:
                    Civic inner diameter 180mm
                    Festiva inner diameter 170mm

And of course the Civic is 4x100. My thinking is that if you could take a stock Festiva rear end and mate the Civic bearing/hub to it (which on the surface seems very possible to me) you cold drop on the Civic drums and use Civic shoes to complete the package.

Again, no real world measurements there, but I will try it eventually if no one disproves it first.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

You can get dual pattern wheels, use rio front spindles and the stock Festiva rear beam.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                        You can get dual pattern wheels, use rio front spindles and the stock Festiva rear beam.
                        That's what I was going to say. I did the Aspire swap (front and rear) but my wheels are dual bolt pattern.

Last edited by gurry624; 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Now which Tie rod ends should i use for the outter and inner?

Comment

and which brand should i use Wagner or Wearever Parts?

Comment

nevermind on the brands.

Comment

Working...
                              X