Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a straight answer on strut tower braces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Festyfreak would you make me a set of those?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
      Festyfreak would you make me a set of those?
      Im going to try to make a set for the festiva this summer, but as for making them, im the worst fabricator in the world. Honestly hotwheels, My welds will break before superglue. Regardless, when this summer rolls around, ill do a writeup and try my best to make 1 set.

As for difference, i cant speak for them on a festiva but on my miata they made night and day difference on the track. Turn in was more crisp, mid corner traction was more predictable, and under hard braking the car was more stable. This was with massive slicks and race hawk dtc60 race pads though. Im sure with street pads and street tires it would be hardly noticeable.

I think these will do good on the festiva, I have a feeling alot of the traction/trans issues guys are having with the festiva is due to the flimsy front end including the subframe, stuff flexes and all hell breaks loose. the trans case flexes a bit and before you know it rip g-series.

Comment

I'd also like to do this aswell:

some kind of frame rail brace.
        Last edited by festyfreak39; 02-10-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

My buddy has one of these on his rx8 and he swears by it.

He said to not even waste your time on a 2 point.

Last edited by M3NTAL; 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM.
          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            Strut towers don't get anywhere near the chance to flex in any direction. Festyfreak39 has hit the nail right on the head with something that should work. Now as to exactly how much difference those frog-arms make is another thing. I wouldn't mind hearing all about that.
            My ears are open as well. I have CAD and a access to a water jet at work. :highly_amused:
            Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

That frog arm business is intriguing (and ingenious) and the one you built is an adaptation of a commercial Miata design. Presumably the fenders still bolt back on. This thing definitely qualifies as half of a cross-brace (which is plenty under those circumstances since there is one on each side of the car to address North/South flex) and also counters East/West movement. Perhaps Advancedynamix can tune-in on this concept and give us some feedback. First thing you want to know is how much does a Festy front end actually flex under torsion? Certainly there is no weight savings by putting frog arms on, and for me puddling along at 60 on highway off-ramp corners isn't going to make much difference.

Comment

Frog arms!!! That's waaaaaaaaaaay better! Maybe just a reinforcement bar tying where they bolt to the door hinges behind the dash and i'd call it a day. No strutbar...no reason for a cop to think its a racecar!!!
                1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Originally posted by defprun View Post
                  Frog arms!!! That's waaaaaaaaaaay better! Maybe just a reinforcement bar tying where they bolt to the door hinges behind the dash and i'd call it a day. No strutbar...no reason for a cop to think its a racecar!!!
                  Truth be known: what they don't know won't hurt them. Unless of course you're an insurance company looking to milk applicants for all they're worth, based on statistics of big engines, number of seats and age of driver.

Comment

My current insurance company might ask for a picture because it's an older car, but the actual difference between models is negligeable.

Dave Forget

Comment

just to clairify, i didnt make the 1st set, i was going to make a set and the home-made set was just an inspiration picture.

To be honest, at first i though the frog arms would be useless, my old man bought them for my bday... i put them on anways and was like WOA! SWEET! one of the better suspension mods i've done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert
                        Truth be known: what they don't know won't hurt them.
                        True dat.

It is often good to live where cops don't care too much about mods as long as you aren't driving like an idiot. I ran a straight pipe for a couple years on the old neon. Even got pulled over a few times with it, once after WOT in 3rd kissing 80 passing a cop and the poke slow in front of him, and it was never a problem even once.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I had a straightpipe on my 1st gen rx7 and only got pulled over once as well. Cop asked me why it was loud and I said "I don't know it's brand new"

Dave Forget

Comment

I was Just informed by a gentleman at Corksport that this company, http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/index.html, is still selling Festiva suspension mods. He mentioned the strut braces specifically.
                            1989 Festiva L Carby

Comment

Part #400-510A if I'm not mistaken. Strut brace for the Festiva GTX. Now the question is how does one find it to order?

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Need a straight answer on strut tower braces.

Ill post up a picture of my home made rear strut bar and b pillar bar when I get off work, three wheelin like a damn hoon when I turn hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X