No announcement yet.

questions for suspension on a 1988 fasteva what are my option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.
    Karl, the coilover mod in the rear would be perfect for what you're doing. I haven't tried it with Monroe shocks though, I can only guarantee that the sleeves will work on the KYB shocks. If your pretty handy with a hack saw and a file then this will take less than a couple hours to complete. These sleeves fit the KYB shocks snugly, so there is no rattling around like with the common "eBay Civic coil over mod".
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      It's simple. Mk3 VW front struts with 200lb springs. KYB gr2 stock fitment rear shocks with the shafts shortened 3" and 150lb springs (www.southwestspeed.com springs are 29 bucks a spring). Zero toe front and rear, -2.5 degrees camber front and rear. Stock sway bars, no strut bars or other gimmicks. Put sticky rubber under the car and out corner Z06 vettes with ease. ( You'll need a little driving experience, but it's not that hard).
      Bang for your buck, the Festiva is the best handling car I have ever driven or worked on, and I have been to almost every major road coarse in North America more times than I care to count.
      Hmmmm.....so what's the cost on all that stuff?
      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

I think he said $150 plus the ride.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.
          Karl, the coilover mod in the rear would be perfect for what you're doing. I haven't tried it with Monroe shocks though, I can only guarantee that the sleeves will work on the KYB shocks. If your pretty handy with a hack saw and a file then this will take less than a couple hours to complete. These sleeves fit the KYB shocks snugly, so there is no rattling around like with the common "eBay Civic coil over mod".
          What's the O.D. on the KYB's? I basically want to do the same as Karl, but use my fairly new festiva struts/shocks which are 1.5" O.D.

Also, any KYB? or GR2 specific?

Same reason, raise and lower it for loads and trailers.

Comment

I've looked at 4 different brands of shock absorbers before doing the same mods as Charlie.
            Turns out that (at least here in Australia) only kyb have the perch mounting ring welded around the shock body. All other brands had the perch welded directly to the shock absorber.
            You need that ring to hold the adjustable sleeve.

So at this stage I would say that only the kyb gr2 or g series are suitable.
            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I know the bigger shock sleeves have set screws that hold it to the shock body, do the smaller sleeves have them too? If not I should be able to just put some in.

Comment

The only screw is a grub screw so you can secure the adjuster ring on the setting you need.

Comment

I doubt you'd be able to screw it to the shocj body without causing damage.
                  At this stage I would say to only use the kyb for this mod.

Comment

Working...
                  X