No announcement yet.

FMS lowering springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me that it wouldn't matter. If you compress a dual rate spring, the "weaker" coil section should compress first...because its weaker, no matter what end it's on. I could definely be wrong, just seems to make sense. I can look at mine if you want and see how I installed them. I believe I put them on so the printed words were right side up. However I did it, it performs great.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Danny, no need to zip tie the FMS units, unless you modify them. they will maintain tension when in full droop.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ok tks
        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Tighter round coils to the TOP.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

When in doubt, look at the perches. Lower perch has a step, upper perch is flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommychu View Post
              When in doubt, look at the perches. Lower perch has a step, upper perch is flat.
              This is what I was thinking after I thought about my (wrong) answer for a few minutes. If both ends were flat, you could install it either way.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                The back springs will stand on either end . I'm going with the (tighter) narrower spaced coils on top. Thank you everyone for your input, I didn't want to do it twice. I'm wrong 85% of the time with 50/50 chances.
                Right side up or upside down will make no physical difference at all as to how springs behave but I think the flatter end should correspond to where the flatter mounts are. Spring perch on Festy shocks are contoured and consequently where I would locate the least flat end of any spring.
                I installed FMS sport springs a few years ago. I don't know if you are going to enjoy those. The tight coils compress to nothing almost right off and what's left is a very stiff and low ride. I'm slowly working my way over to OEM Aspire springs (car sits more normal and has a much more comfortable ride) and have so far switched over the back of the car.

Comment

Working...
                X