Big brakes and wheel bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    First, my track car is very much a street car.

I changed from Capri brakes to aspire brakes because I needed to run 13" wheels to be able to fit quality track tires under the stock fenders. I don't regret this decision one bit.
    I appreciate the info. So, I already have 14" wheels(Festi bolt pattern), there's nothing to gain from an Aspire beam swap (for performance), need the Festi bolt pattern for my wheels, and there's no additional problems caused by the Capri brakes. So if I want some bigger brakes, the Capri brakes are a good choice?

Thanks,
    Jack Byrd,
    1991 Capri
    1988 Festiva LX, 240K
    1970 Chev C10
    1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

yeah, but I'd use aspire auto calipers if you can (If I remember correctly they fit on Capri stuff). My capri calipers like to stick, both on my festiva and my capri. I have rebuilt both and they still eat pads way faster than I am comfortable with. My aspire calipers always work flawlessly. Also, make note that aspire pads fit Capri calipers, but capri pads don't fit aspire calipers (they have nubs on the backside of the pads that don't have anywhere to go on aspire calipers). This is helpful because there are no performance pads for the capri, but there are several choices for the aspire (EBC and Performance friction both make pads for the aspire).
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Jack, the bearings aren't that bad to replace in a Festy. Say the word, and I will rebuild festy hubs for you and run them out that weekend, swap them in, and take the old ones home. For fun+price of gas+price of parts+ a sixxer. Throw in a second sixxer, and I will come out there, and show you how to do them without a press
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

yeah, but I'd use aspire auto calipers if you can (If I remember correctly they fit on Capri stuff). My capri calipers like to stick, both on my festiva and my capri. I have rebuilt both and they still eat pads way faster than I am comfortable with. My aspire calipers always work flawlessly. Also, make note that aspire pads fit Capri calipers, but capri pads don't fit aspire calipers (they have nubs on the backside of the pads that don't have anywhere to go on aspire calipers). This is helpful because there are no performance pads for the capri, but there are several choices for the aspire (EBC and Performance friction both make pads for the aspire).
          Noted for the future. I'm planning on going to the Galant upgrade on all of my Capris but this is very good info
          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            Jack, the bearings aren't that bad to replace in a Festy. Say the word, and I will rebuild festy hubs for you and run them out that weekend, swap them in, and take the old ones home. For fun+price of gas+price of parts+ a sixxer. Throw in a second sixxer, and I will come out there, and show you how to do them without a press
            This sounds like more than a fair deal.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              Noted for the future. I'm planning on going to the Galant upgrade on all of my Capris but this is very good info
              Clay's brakes are insane on his GTX with the Galant upgrade. He did the backs too, with the big 626 M/C. It's almost hard to drive because the brakes are very sensitive.

Comment

That's the one thing I need to do is go to a bigger master cylinder. It's a bit more complex on the Capri because of the integrated prop valve, I need to find one and plumb it in addition to any upgrading I do. I have the brackets to do the rears on my GTXR2 just need the calipers.

Check this out: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-cylinder-swap
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

A Willwood master cylinder will work on a Festiva with a little massaging

Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                  Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                  Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                  WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Kool, that is exceptionally good info. Capri hubs with Aspire calipers. Great......nthego: This is getting better all the time.
                    Jack Byrd,
                    1991 Capri
                    1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                    1970 Chev C10
                    1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Race cars should have Wilwood brakes.....:highly_amused:
                      Jack Byrd,
                      1991 Capri
                      1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                      1970 Chev C10
                      1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Hey, if I can get mine running, I"ll come to you with a 24....... Make that when I get mine running. Actually, I don't have any existing problem, just doing research for the future.
                        Jack Byrd,
                        1991 Capri
                        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                        1970 Chev C10
                        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                          That's the one thing I need to do is go to a bigger master cylinder. It's a bit more complex on the Capri because of the integrated prop valve, I need to find one and plumb it in addition to any upgrading I do. I have the brackets to do the rears on my GTXR2 just need the calipers.

Check this out: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-cylinder-swap
                          I'd try it with the stock M/C first. Clays car is very touchy, and I'd actually prefer a smaller M/C than what he's running. I like some pedal throw on my brake pedal for modulating purposes and it makes left foot braking and heel toe a lot easier.

Comment

Yea but you get used to them. I will try the stock MC and booster and the Gallant upgrade on the GT then we will know what the difference is for sure. Here is the Gallant set up front and rear and the 929 MC and the 626 booster.

Comment

Originally posted by greywolf200 View Post
                              Hey, if I can get mine running, I"ll come to you with a 24....... Make that when I get mine running. Actually, I don't have any existing problem, just doing research for the future.
                              Deal!
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

:highly_amused:
                                Jack Byrd,
                                1991 Capri
                                1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                                1970 Chev C10
                                1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Working...
                                X