• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated and cleaned up a bit.

Neon - Fully extended - bottom to top = 20" - bottom to threads = 18.5"
    Neon - Fully compressed - bottom to top = 15.5" - bottom to threads = 14"
    Rio - Fully extended - bottom to top = 21.5" - bottom to threads = 20"
    Rio - Fully compressed - bottom to top = 16" - bottom to threads = 14.5"

Should clarify. On the Neon strut the measurement is actually to the beginning of the threads. On the Rio it's to the part that sticks through the strut mount bearing inner race. Both measurements are still the same because that's where the bottom of the strut mount sits on the rod.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Very nice. I may have to pick up a set of these to try. I checked for cheap adjustable coilovers and there wasn't anything close to the MK2/3 v-dub stuff, but they look easier to fit to the Festiva/BF Mazda than the VW units. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap set of KYBs or something to try out. My Capri needs new front struts in a bad way. Lol.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Sweet. I know BC and Ksport make coilovers for the Neon but they're $1k+ for a set of 4. Most guys just use the sleeves and KYBs and the fortunate ones have the Konis and/or Mopar performance lowering springs or sleeves.

Either one doesn't help here.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

The rears fit as well?
          1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
          2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

No. Neon uses IRS and a strut very much like the fronts in the rear.
            Last edited by sketchman; 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Just thought I'd add. 1st Gen Neon KYBs on eBay are $50 shipped each.

Or Monroes for $40 each. Both slotted for very big happy time camber adjustments.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

had anyone installed these yet?

Comment

I just bought a pair for a car we're putting coil overs on... give me another week or two and I'll have installed pics and more info on the fit up.
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                    I just bought a pair for a car we're putting coil overs on... give me another week or two and I'll have installed pics and more info on the fit up.
                    Any updates would be awesome Skeeter:thumbs_up:
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I haven't got there quite yet - still finishing the mounts for the swap. A few observations I've had thus for though:
                      1. the lower mounting holes will line up with minimal work.
                      2. the spring perch is welded much higher on the strut body than on festiva struts. I think it'll be OK, but it may not allow as much of a drop if you use the weld bead to hold up the coilover adjusters. It may have to be turned down and a longer adjuster (or a spacer) used seating directly on the lower part of the strut.
                      3. the threaded portion at the top of the strut fits somewhat loosely in the kia rio top hat, but it is shorter than the threaded portion on a festiva. You can only get a few threads in the nut - not enough to make me feel comfortable. i'm planing to turn a small part (about 1/2") of the strut rod down to fit nicely inside the rio strut hat, killing two birds with one stone.

Until I actually do it, this is just speculation and I may run into other issues!
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                        i'm planing to turn a small part (about 1/2") of the strut rod down to fit nicely inside the rio strut hat, killing two birds with one stone.

Until I actually do it, this is just speculation and I may run into other issues!
                        This is what I have done on the last few sets of VW struts I've modified for the festy. It works very well.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                        X