what springs to run with a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what springs to run with a load

so I have the rio front swap with 1.5coils cut off and like it .

I have an aspire rear beam and struts that im swapping in.

I am going to put a hitch on this car to pull small trlr and light weight things so with the extra load on the suspension what springs do I need to run?

im not buying anything expensive either.

ive read to use rear aspire springs cut but how much do I cut?
    ive read to use the front festy springs the way they are will it work?
    ive read some people switching to Honda springs this may beit bc they are progressive springs.

I don't want my car lowered or raised I just want stock height with the ability to support some weight in the rear or be able to pull a trlr without sagging severly or rubbing?

thanks a lot for the info

I want to do exactly the same thing to a couple of my Festies, but have read on this site both that the Aspire beam will and will not carry more load than the stock Festy beam. My fleet is still 100% stock suspensions, both front and rear.

BTW, I got a really nice hitch custom-made that attaches ONLY to the strong tow/tiedown brackets (the kind NOT on the 88/89 -- I'm guessing they changed when they went to FI or thereabouts) but also braces itself at other "frame" points w/o actually attaching. I plan to make a dimensioned drawing to have a few more made. I've used that hitch to tow loads heavier than the car at freeway speeds with no apparent body damage.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I would be thrilled to have those plans.it would be appreciated .and as u are saying it only works on 89 up festies or only88-89

As far as the springs go i rrally like the riotuff up front and im goin to use festy front springs on the rear aspire swap but im going to cut 1.5 coils off of them so that way i keep my stock height

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
        As far as the springs go i really like the rio stuff up front and im goin to use festy front springs on the rear aspire swap but im going to cut 1.5 coils off of them so that way i keep my stock height
        I was going to suggest that, after reading your 1st post.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

1chrisapple,

My one and only hitch is currently in transit from E to W Coast (did I say I need more of them?) to do some Seattle hauling. I'll make the drawing after it arrives and post it here. There are already photos on one or more threads on this site.

It's for the later years. At some point (after 88 and before 91 -- I don't have any 89s or 90s to look at), they switched from small wimpy-looking hooks to big ones that stick down more. There are photos of both styles on one or more of my threads.

I'll also re-post the above photos when I recover data from my primary laptop which recently stopped booting (even "safe" boot fails) immediately after a recent 2 a.m. automatic WinXP update from Microsoft.
          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM.
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Ok thnx

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
              I was going to suggest that, after reading your 1st post.

Once agian ur the man dan thnx

Comment

I want to do this exactly as described here. Id love to pull 2 dirtbikes with the most minimal trailer. I have kia springs and shocks in the parts bin, haven't gotten around to anything yet. I think hitch advice is needed as there are multiple threads on trailers and hitches and some things are not definate
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

just to post this up. i would NOT use the festy front springs on the rear. because the festy springs are larger in diameter then the rear aspire ones thuse they make a poping noise because they dont fit the lower bracket on strut right.they are to big.
                  also to get back to the stock ride height i had to cut 2.5 coils out so this made the spring almost to short. long story short i wouldnt do it agian.

solution for me is im going to get some civic springs and try them to see if they work and better or if they are3 even the same size and as they are progressive springs would be better anyway.

Comment

ok so upon more spring swapping and cutting.i figured out that if u just use the aspire rear springs and cut 1.5 coils out then it sits stock height and supports more weight. I have read on here numerous times that aspire and festy rear springs are the same. deminsoinally they are but the spring rate must be different so that's what im going to run for now.hope this clears some things up for some.

Comment

Please post back here your results, including how it drives both loaded and empty. If it works, I'm going to pick up an Asire rear beam with springs and do the same.
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-22-2013, 09:45 PM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

It drives real nice i think.not to bouncy not squishy soft its almost just right but im thinking with a small trlr and a load it will sag to much but we will c bc im going to be making a hitch like urs as mine does have stout looking tow hooks there

Comment

you are not going to want a lot of tongue weight on such a short wheelbase/ lightweight vehicle anyway. If your having to raise the spring rate a lot to tow the trailer, your asking for trouble.
                          Generally, these cars handle weight extremely well, even with stock rear shocks. I'd be weary of too much weight over the rear axle. It will be very unstable.
                          A properly weighted trailer should put less weight over the rear axle than two adults in the back seat and a load of groceries in the back.
                          The aspire beam is a good choice for towing. It's basically the same design, except it has a built in anti roll bar, and it's got larger drum brakes. Both of these features will be valuable when towing a trailer.
                          For a more permanent and tunable solution to your problem you can read about the 1 7/8" coilover conversion in the "Advanced suspension mods" thread that is stickied in this forum.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
                            just to post this up. i would NOT use the festy front springs on the rear. because the festy springs are larger in diameter then the rear aspire ones thuse they make a poping noise because they dont fit the lower bracket on strut right.they are to big.
                            also to get back to the stock ride height i had to cut 2.5 coils out so this made the spring almost to short. long story short i wouldnt do it agian.
                            I ran Festiva front springs in the rear of my bone stock setup for over a year. Just a couple months ago, did the full aspire swap, and kept the Festiva front springs for the rear. No problems. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the perch is flat, not "cupped." If it is cupped, you have to cut some material away to make it flat.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            you are not going to want a lot of tongue weight on such a short wheelbase/ lightweight vehicle anyway. If your having to raise the spring rate a lot to tow the trailer, your asking for trouble.
                            Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            Generally, these cars handle weight extremely well, even with stock rear shocks. I'd be weary of too much weight over the rear axle. It will be very unstable.
                            A properly weighted trailer should put less weight over the rear axle than two adults in the back seat and a load of groceries in the back.
                            The aspire beam is a good choice for towing. It's basically the same design, except it has a built in anti roll bar, and it's got larger drum brakes. Both of these features will be valuable when towing a trailer.
                            For a more permanent and tunable solution to your problem you can read about the 1 7/8" coilover conversion in the "Advanced suspension mods" thread that is stickied in this forum.

This is why I went with the full aspire swap, including the front sway bar, on Baby Car. Towing. Comfort. The bigger sway bar up front seems to transmit a little less "bump" when the road is rough in corners.

Powder, on the other hand, is NOT getting that treatment. Let us just say I have paid attention to what you did with Tweak
                            Last edited by scitzz; 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                            X