Cutting springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
    Awesome I would have never thought of cutting the springs without dismantling the struts. I could never get the top hat nuts off.

I think I will end up doing this very soon then, because uncut Rio springs make the front end sit way too high, even though that makes oil changes a breeze it looks like crap.
    Though I will be pulling the struts off and doing it in a vise with spring compressors to avoid any loud "bangs".

Luckily I just bought a $20 dremel from autozone a month or so ago.
    I don't think a dremels gonna do you Any good. Angle grinder and cutting wheel all the way. And I definitely don't recommend the cutting while they're installed. If you're gonna go to all the trouble getting yourself in an awkward position and possibly injuring yourself, you're better off just taking it out. Its literally the two knuckle bolts and the two strut mount nuts and you're golden.

-James
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
      I don't think a dremels gonna do you Any good. Angle grinder and cutting wheel all the way. And I definitely don't recommend the cutting while they're installed. If you're gonna go to all the trouble getting yourself in an awkward position and possibly injuring yourself, you're better off just taking it out. Its literally the two knuckle bolts and the two strut mount nuts and you're golden.

-James
      Ehh I will still try the dremel, make take a while but it is feasible.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Ehh I will still try the dremel, make take a while but it is feasible.
        I'd also say you'll be changing cutting wheels every few minutes too

-James
        Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

I'd also say you'll be changing cutting wheels every few minutes too

-James
          Probably, I see other people while googling have cut springs with dremels, so I don't see any rear issue, just using a bigger tool would do it faster. But I don't have that bigger tool, the dremel is the only powered cutting tool I have.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Probably, I see other people while googling have cut springs with dremels, so I don't see any rear issue, just using a bigger tool would do it faster. But I don't have that bigger tool, the dremel is the only powered cutting tool I have.
            Wally world, about 20 bucks, cheapo depot angle grinder, I have one, works well enough. I spent years cutting things with a dremel when I should have used an angle grinder. You won't regret spending the money! Not to mention in the long run, one wheel is cheaper than 20 dremel wheels
            Last edited by scitzz; 11-05-2013, 01:04 AM.
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Yeah a dremel is for...r/c car springs! well heck those can be cut with wire cutters but digressing. Get a grinder, I use mine for all kinds of things i shouldn't, and clean up with a dremel often but besides the point.

So...in my specific case...my rio springs are still assembled on strut, but not on the car. The way to go is compress them with spring compressor like i was going to undo the top bolt...and just cut them on the strut, install on the 1993, loosen it back down and see how she sits?

You all have given solid information without judgement. If anyone went outside of ff.com looking fo how to cut down springs for example how to's on civic springs--everyone name calls and tells them rice and bad names...when 2/3 coilovers out there bounce more than stock springs with a 2 inch drop.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

How's the ride since you have cut them?
                I mean now that you have had more time to drive it. My rears were sloppy and my front hubs were screwed so I never got a chance to push it.

Sent from the trash can.
                Last edited by defprun; 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM.
                1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

A hacksaw would do it faster than a dremel if you use the right blade (i.e. as aggressive as you can find because springs are round) and proper technique (yes there is a difference). And a whole hacksaw probably costs as much as all the cutting wheels you'll burn out trying to cut that much steel with a dremel.
                  Last edited by Tommychu; 11-10-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by defprun View Post
                    How's the ride since you have cut them?
                    I mean now that you have had more time to drive it. My rears were sloppy and my front hubs were screwed so I never got a chance to push it.

Sent from the trash can.
                    Well, everything on the car is less than 4 months brand new. And to be completely honest, it drives much better. Had alignment done the day after I cut so that it was straight and all. There's very little body roll during cornering, and I've been going thru roundabouts like crazy. The bumps hit a little harder, but its nothing like riding a brick on civic coikovers from geebay. Overall, I'd recommend it as a cheap alternative to even the diy coil over thread. I will be however doing that mod once I get the coin. This is just a temporary thing.

-James

Comment

Well, everything on the car is less than 4 months brand new. And to be completely honest, it drives much better. Had alignment done the day after I cut so that it was straight and all. There's very little body roll during cornering, and I've been going thru roundabouts like crazy. The bumps hit a little harder, but its nothing like riding a brick on civic coikovers from geebay. Overall, I'd recommend it as a cheap alternative to even the diy coil over thread. I will be however doing that mod once I get the coin. This is just a temporary thing.

-James
                      mine are cut and ride good to

Comment

Working...
                      X