Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would these rims from Discount Tire fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
    I understand. I guess that my rims won't be stolen just 'cause they're not 20"+, but you're right, and you still get a few bucks for aluminum rims at the scrapper...
    Well I going to have my insurance cover them if they get stolen, though it is still a $100 deductible.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Torque wrote: "Plus I think 14"s would start to look out of proportion, like they are too big for the car."

The 175/70-13, 155/80-13, 185/60-14 and 195/50-15 sizes are all within 3 to 4mm of each other in sidewall height, at least mathematically. Shouldn't be any issue on appearance, except as you go up in wheel size the tire sidewall will appear shorter. Overall diameter of these tire sizes is about the same.

I've used locking bolts since I did my first suspension swap on the original Muttstiva back in summer, 2002. It's not Gorilla brand, but another well known brand I can't think of now. It's lasted just fine and I've never had any issues with them. While I have no doubt that tools exist to defeat most any locking lug set, IMO any security is better than none. Part of that is not having "blingety-bling-bling height of cutting edge fashion" style wheels and tires.

Karl

PS: Just looked them up: my locking bolts are McGard's. Seem to be very good quality. On the other hand, a friend got some ~$14 locking nuts and key from an auto shop and one of those began cracking within several tire removals. Overtightening them was not conducive to their integrity! IIRC, my McGards cost over $30 some dollars and that was back in 2002.
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I have 2 sets of "tuner" lugs on 2 cars. Had them off and on multiple times. One set has been on for years. No issues yet.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I did order the Gorilla brand ones, they were $37 shipped.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
          X