Question about rear spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about rear spindles

My passenger side rear spindle was cross-threaded, and now my drivers side got cross threaded as well.I have an aspire rear beam (unusable) and have taken the cotter pins from it. I have some brass bushings that have the perfect inner diameter to fit over the spindle threads. I was wondering if it would be safe to drill through these bushings and the spindle, then place the cotter pin through the whole assembly to hold the washer/ wheel bearing/ drum on? It seems like it should work at least for a while, and then I can pull the spindles off the aspire rear beam when I have time and swap them over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

I wouldn't recommend this idea if for no more than this reason;

You are not going to be able to set the preload on the bearings WITHOUT a threaded fastener (spindle nut).

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
      My passenger side rear spindle was cross-threaded, and now my drivers side got cross threaded as well.I have an aspire rear beam (unusable) and have taken the cotter pins from it. I have some brass bushings that have the perfect inner diameter to fit over the spindle threads. I was wondering if it would be safe to drill through these bushings and the spindle, then place the cotter pin through the whole assembly to hold the washer/ wheel bearing/ drum on? It seems like it should work at least for a while, and then I can pull the spindles off the aspire rear beam when I have time and swap them over.

Certainly switching from a stake nut to a cotter pin and castle nut is do able. I did this to all three of my cars. Spindles are not hard steel and drill fairly easy. However, Aspire spindles are not compatible with Festy units (I don't think) so you'd be better off putting out an APB for used spindles or contact 4Green in Korea for new ones. Festys made in 93 had drilled spindles (and castle nuts) right from the factory.

Comment

No, it is not a good idea. I'd get a die and cut the threads on the spindle down to the next smaller size before I'd do what you are describing. But even then, safest bet is get some new (or used) spindles and replace them. As Bert mentioned, the Aspire spindles unfortunately don't fit the Festiva beam, so your best bet is probably either a full aspire swap (beam and all) or get some replacement festiva spindles.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I'll just rent a tap & dye and re-thread them.

1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
          Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
          daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
          A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

^^ agreed.
            thats what i had to do with my passenger rear spindle. after having a tough time looking for a used one i went to the local harbor freight and found a tap and die set that would fit the spindle, re-threaded and it worked! just replaced with cotter pin and castle nut
            LIVE FAST!!!!!!!DIE HARD!!!!!!!!:evil5::evil5::evil5::evil5:

Dustin Hayek

91.festy 1.8 BP DOHC AUTO.The turbo awaits!

Comment

Working...
            X