problem occurred after aspire swap... please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem occurred after aspire swap... please help

Just finished doing a full aspire swap and now there is a loud knocking sound from the front left hub area when i give it some gas. It is less loud if there is someone in the passenger seat. Ive checked all parts over/retorqed them all seems good.
    The knocking does not happen when reversing nor when rolling n gear with clutch in.
    Alignment is out but cant see how that would cause it? And want to solve this problem before i take her in.
    The festy was fine before swap and i purchased and drove the aspire to my house (45 min drive) the same day i dissembled it and it drove perfectly.
    All help would be greatly apreciated.

I know you said you checked everything but my car kind of did this when I changes shocks. I torqued it with the wheels off the ground then it shifted when iset it down and would pop on turns until I tightened it.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

re torqued the struts when the car was lowered. the knocking is loud and clear when driving on a straight flat paved rode as well

Comment

I would check the lower knuckle bolt I've had one strip one me and caused similar symptoms.
        This is the bolt the goes in the Grove of the ball joint and squeezes the knuckle tight to the ball joint.
        Just read your reply, mine only did it when hitting bumps, or speeding up or slowing down.
        Could it be bearings?
        Last edited by william; 06-14-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

if the bolt your talking about is the one that pinches the lca in the knuckle (?) i replaced it on both sides. doubtful with the bearings as the wheel spins by hand nice and worked really nice when on the aspire.

Comment

What about just a plain and simple c.v. joint.
            Last edited by rmoltis; 06-14-2014, 11:32 PM.
            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Dumb question are the wheels torqued?

Comment

That was my first thought. They were fine before the.swap but thought i might have damaged them while breaking the hub free but after inspection seem ok. I read on a thread that if you use the aspire springs and struts you might make the cvs run out of there usual "wear points" due to the 2" height change, causing knocking but since it doesnt happen in reverse i cant see that being it

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                  Yes

Comment

Did you use the aspire tie rods?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                      i didnt see the even with the clutch in part.

you guys are so kind to people trying to help others out how funny.
                      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Aspire tie rod ends, hubs/knuckles, springs, struts, brakes

festiva sway bar, lca, cv/transaxel

Comment

Check the wheel weight. It may be hitting the strut bolt area where it bolts to the knuckle. I've had to grind/tolerance struts down in this area before.
                          Last edited by Gomez; 06-15-2014, 12:24 AM.
                          -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                            i didnt see the even with the clutch in part.

you guys are so kind to people trying to help others out how funny.
                            rmoltis, all help is welcomed and greatly appreciated thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                              Check the wheel weight. It may be hitting the strut bolt area where it bolts to the knuckle. I've had to grind/tolerance struts down in this area before.
                              I cant say i looked there specifically but wouldnt i notice said event when spinning wheel by hand when the car is jacked?

Comment

Working...
                              X