Aspire swap done, having some issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajb999
    ^^^ good call. i just noticed mine starting to rattle on the front drivers side sometimes when i hit a bump/pothole and i'm missing that little bent wire piece that keeps them in place. anyone know where to get one? every festiva at the junkyard around here is missing rims and most of everything that goes w/ the brakes.
    ask for a front brake hardware kit at your local parts house. that should have that and other stuff also that may have been damaged or just plain left off over time before you got the car. in the meantime use some cotter pins or wire to hold those pins in so they can't work out=no brake!
    91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
    93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
    1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
    1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

yes all my little wires/springs are rusted/broken. i used paperclips on the pins so they don't slide out and yeaseterday i bought a pair of the anti-rattle springs. i knew my pads were rattling around a lil but i didn't care much; i knew that wasn't causing my problems.

Karl is sending me some new rotors, because i was at a loss as to what else might be to problem. (thnx!)... but then when i was putting the anti-rattle springs on i noticed something i had not previously noticed...

on my pass side caliper (brand new from AZ) the lower mouting bolt was loose! well, the bolt itself wasn't loose. the sleave that the caliper is supposed to slide on is loose! it could fit one that is about twice as thick. the sleave in there is the same size as the old sleave from the old caliper, but the whole in the caliper is much larger. this allows the caliper to "cock" a little, and since that rotor is a little warped and the pads were stopping on the corner it was causing that clunking noise. Now i don't know what to do! Has anyone seen this before? my drivers side was fine the caliper just seems to have the wrong size bore on the pass side... any way i can find a larger bushing? any ideas anyone?

thanks,

-a rather frustrated nate who doesn't want to buy a new caliper...
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

If that caliper was "brand new from AZ," then take it back and show them. You should be able to get a replacement at no charge if it came with a wrong-sized slider.

You should be out just the time and bother.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Where in AZ? I'm in Tempe...

Comment

AZ= autozone.... :lol:

i figured i could do taht if i have to, but i've already painted them and all and i returned the old ones for the core charge so i don't ahve the box. i do have the reciept still so if i dont' find anything else thats what i will do... as for now i should say the car dos at least stop better b/c i almost hit a deer last night but stopped in time

thanks guys!!
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

just clean off the paint before you return it so they can't try to claim it isn't theirs.
              91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
              93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
              1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
              1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

If they are defective then return them even if they are painted, it shouldn't matter. I'd even ask them to give you a new can of paint for the replacement.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

^^ Thats right ,it should not matter paint or not , even if they went bad in a month they will still replace them ,even if painted, they are under warranty, you have a receipt yes ,
                  Autozone will replace or refund anything with a receipt .
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                  Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                  HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                  Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                  Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                  Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                  Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                  90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                  It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

They have it in their computer too, so even if you lost the reciept they will warrenty the part!
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

Working...
                    X