new parts failing? super annoying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new parts failing? super annoying!

So I got the aspire swap with new bearings, shocks,daisy miata wheels with fresh rubber. New rotors and the cheap set of pads and new master cylinder, new control arms, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, new axles. Theres more new parts on the car then old.

I just got the new set of daisy wheels and new tires hoping it would help solve the vibration. it did help but now i'm vibrating when braking. pretty bad to.. I have had to spike the brakes a couple times in traffic but its only been a little less then a year since the brake job. i'm thinking I warped the rotors. So do I machine them or get new ones is my question.

Problem 2 is in the drivers side front suspension. When I turn right up a slight incline say into a parking lot I get a snap/pop noise. I can almost feel it near my feet. remember all the parts down there are new accept the inner tire rod end (planned to replace the whole steering rack assembly and then get it aligned again. I just had it aligned like less then a year ago. I have checked a couple curbs with the front end delivering pizza so is this enough to mess up the alignment? its pulling a bit to the right. And what's snapping in the front end??

One more thing. I replaced the rear struts and if i'm on an uneven surface while driving I get a jiggling shaking noise from the right rear. on an even road surface there's almost no sound but its very noticeable on gravel. I haven't taken the time to take it apart cuz I need my car. Its functioning fine but the jiggling is super annoying. Other then these problems this is the best car dollar for dollar I've ever had. Thanks in advanced to anyone who replys!!

Popping sound: Check to see if you have nylock nuts holding your tie rod ends on. Sometimes they will come loose. The better solution is the castle nut and cotter pin.

Shaking noise: probably the top strut mount. Make sure the nut is on all the way. Also, you should have two nuts on there, the upper one as a locknut. If one nut, it should be nylock.

The other possibility for that shaking noise is the lower of the two bushings for the upper strut mount. The lower one should have a little protrusion that comes up through the hole in the body. That protrusion acts as a lip so the strut doesn't hit the metal around the hole, which will cause a rattling noise.

Probably warped rotors. Figure out which is cheaper, new ones or resurfacing them. Personally I'd get new ones, slap 'em on, and take the old ones to get them resurfaced, as spares or for when your new ones wear out. Also less hassle this way, since the car is not out of service.
    Last edited by TominMO; 01-08-2015, 08:00 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Did you buy quality parts or online china parts. I try to buy parts localiy with a life time warranty. I pay a lot more. But I've gotten told to do a repair over and over again.

Comment

I am with TominMO , rotors that warp have something wrong with the metal the way it was cast and will warp again. Did you get rotors with a warranty ? Maybe free at least.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I had a popping noise once, similar to what you describe. It was the clevis on the knuckle, that holds the ball joint on the control arm, not being tight enough. It was popping up and down ever so slightly on turns. Check to see if the bolt and nut on the ball joint is tight.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
            Did you buy quality parts or online china parts. I try to buy parts localiy with a life time warranty. I pay a lot more. But I've gotten told to do a repair over and over again.
            Buying parts with a lifetime warranty doesn't guaranty they are quality parts. Sometimes they are the same as the cheap parts, but you are paying more to cover the cost of a replacement.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
            X