No announcement yet.

aspire vs festiva beam brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used Aspire brackets. One) they're heavier gauge steel than Festy versions and two) the trailing arm pivot bolt (especially the one beside the fuel tank) is much easier to access when using the Aspire bracket. Could raise the car a bit (because of difference in height of the pivot hole) but is only one of many things that transpire (larger/wider wheels/stiffer springs etc) when you do the entire Aspire swap.

Comment

Great reply, thanks Charlie!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Charlie do you know the KYB part number for that rear strut?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Charlie do you know the KYB part number for that rear strut?
          Here is an ebay auction for the shock I used.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            ... If the inside front wheel is light, your just going to spin that tire. You don't want to control the body roll with the front suspension because you want it to follow the road surface without interruption. The rear suspension is where body roll must be controlled on a FWD vehicle...
            Which explains why my car's handling improved when I removed the Aspire front bar and went back to the stock Festiva front bar. I was experiencing exactly what Charlie said about the inside front wheel spinning on "spirited" exits from corners
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Here is an ebay auction for the shock I used.
              Ok, I found these http://www.amazon.com/KYB-341007-Exc.../dp/B000C40RZW

They are the Excel-G instead of the Gas-a-just's. Same application, but the Excel-G is the lower end of KYB's line, and cheaper. I would probably use the Gas-a-just though like you did.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                Ok, I found these http://www.amazon.com/KYB-341007-Exc.../dp/B000C40RZW

They are the Excel-G instead of the Gas-a-just's. Same application, but the Excel-G is the lower end of KYB's line, and cheaper. I would probably use the Gas-a-just though like you did.
                Excel-Gs are definitely better thanMonroes. But Gas-a-justs are better still. Bang for buck, Excel-G.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

It's nice to have options. You can even splurge some more and get bilsteins. Pricey yes, but usually worth the cheddar ( get it, because they are yellow.... haha).
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

took a closer look at this since i have a loose aspire and festiva beam. 1st, fastivaca the #s for the festiva brackets are LH E8BZ5596B, RH 8BZ5596A. kia pride are LH MD00128420, RH MD00128410A.
                    a few things brought to light in this post: the aspire brackets are a little thicker. a little over 1/2 mm. also i used a digital scale and was surprised that the aspire beam was 4.8 lb heavier. the 2 beams seem identical in dimension with the exception of the spindle holes. it seems the main reason an aspire beam won't work with festiva brackets is due to the longer tab welded to the bushing collar. this would be easy to cut off to the correct length. but also notice in the pics that the longer tab on the aspire beam isn't centered on the collar as it is on the festiva beam. i don't know but am guessing that this tab limits the swing of the beam. it isn't very meaty though to take any real force. the aspire beam is on the bottom in this pic. it is an ABS beam with a few additional brackets welded.

here are the bushing ends showing the longer tab on the aspire end.

here shows the festiva bracket installed on the aspire beam. you can see how the longer tab would interfere with normal rotation.

this shows the aspire bracket on the aspire beam.

aspire bracket has this additional strengthening bridge
                    Last edited by F3BZ; 01-18-2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Most of this type of structural design is engineered for crash safety. The aspire was built to meet more stringent safety rules. The limiting tab has crash protection written all over it.

Comment

oh crap! disclaimer: author of this thread is expressing his individual thoughts, ideas, conjectures and summations. these actions/modifications are not condoned, encouraged, or even suggested. this is strictly presented as a visual and descriptive comparison between two similar but distinct suspension systems. any manipulation or use of this information that results in death, dismemberment, frustration, damage to self esteem requiring paid professional remediation services and or action is the sole responsibility of the party interpreting and or using said information for public or private passenger vehicle modification.

Comment

I forgot the Aspire actually had an ABS option. Never actually seen one with it. Wonder how effective it is?
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

it's for crash prevention but not for crash protection. your results may vary depending on your individual skill and awareness while driving.

Comment

I found this thread by accident searching for something else. I'm preparing for an Aspire swap and went with the info on the Mazda Protege site since it is a straight forward how to and no where is there mention of the trailing arm brackets. I didn't grab them from the car at the junkyard. Is it just interference with the tabs? Can I just cut the tabs? The junkyard is 200 miles round trip and I really don't have the time to make that trip.
                              Rick
                              1993 Ford Festiva
                              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                              2000 Ford E350

Comment

If you break a shock during an undesirable event the tab keeps the arm from rolling up under the car.

I operate in that range for height off road. I removed the tabs. I broke a shock trying to get a picture doing something festivas are not known to do. The axle beam did not roll under the car. It turns out you have to break both shocks lol. The car drove home with a broken shock.

You do what you want for enjoyment all the time i suppose and if you choose to do this for good times it up to you! I am not putting my stopping tabs back.
                                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                                X