aspire suspension swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire suspension swap questions

i've looked through the forum and i cant find what im looking for, what i want to know is whats the difference between the festiva and aspire suspension does the aspire have better braking power or handling i know that the aspire has a more common wheel pattern also is a 14'' tire safe on the stock festiva suspension or should i do the swap to the aspire suspension thanks in advance
    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Aspire system has better braking. Most say it also enables better handling due to the rear beam having a built in torsion bar but mr. Advancedynamics says this actually is not to (if i recall correctly) and thats oneman i wouldn't question about suspension lol.

Comment

14" is fine with stock but id recommend a swap just for the braking (grab the MC And booster while your at it)

Comment

the reason i ask is because theres an 95 aspire sitting in a junk yard close to me it would cost about 250 dollars(maybe a little more) for just the junk yard parts i need, i just wasn't sure if it was worth it to swap it , you know the whole pro's and con's thing lol

Comment

14" tires will work just fine with stock Festy rear suspension, but you have to watch the clearance between the lower spring perch and the tire. Depending on the rim/tire combination you may have to grind the perch for added Clearance between tire and perch or switch to Aspire rear shocks which have a higher perch. Also wheel spacers or relocating the lower shock mount(which I have done) with stock shocks are also a possibility.

Comment

Here's another reason to switch to the Aspire suspension:

We broke 2 steering knuckles using the Festiva suspension, but never broke an Aspire knuckle. Granted, these were broken while being abused in race conditions, but it's still good insurance in case you hit a lot of potholes.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Also the aspire setup makes it a lot easier to replace your rotors

Comment

I have the Rio front and Aspire rear swap in Trixie.
                The strut bearings from the Rio make steering a lot smoother.

Comment

Wow. Catastrophic failure right there. Looks like the caliper may have been the only thing keeping it from complete separation.
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Pretty cool carnage! Somebody must have really gripping that steering wheel . The festy stuff will generally last over a 100 k miles so the improvements for average use are none to minimal. Don't run your brakes to metal and ruin the rotors. However if you desire to drive recreationaly then the differences can be exploited to your advantage. My first steps for off hiway off road use were Aspire parts.

Kind of need to know what your driving intentions are before recommending a whole bunch of conversion. Your available shop and tools would be a consideration as well.
                    Last edited by Movin; 03-29-2015, 10:24 AM.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If the car is a keeper. Do the Aspire swap with Rio struts and top hat. Better braking better tires easier steering.

Also get the front seats if they are in good shape. Get the roller rocker arms and valve cover.

Lastly get the front sway bar and master cylinder. All from the Aspire.

Comment

I have an aditional question since im going to be doing this swap soon as well, but is the MC and Brake Booster required to do the swap or is it just recomended?
                        91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
                        Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
                        Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Not required no i have the swap in place with stock mc and booster works fine, is better to swap tho i have the aspire parts just been to lazy to bleed brakes lately

Comment

Don't bother with the Aspire front sway bar. The car actually handles better with the stock Festiva bar. When I initially did my Aspire swap I put in its sway bar. In addition to clearance issues I found that in spirited cornering the inside front wheel would lose traction. Went back to the Festiva bar and haven't regretted it.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

so from what im reading the best combo is aspire rear, hubs,tie rods and with rio struts but keep the festi sway bar but do i also swap the lower trailing arm (the part that connects from frame to lower hub) or keep the festi one also whats the aspire lug pattern i know the festi's is 4x4.5''

Comment

Working...
                              X