No announcement yet.

Cutting my Festy's springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was another tire (same size) that a Charlie recommended to me.

-Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
      This was another tire (same size) that Charlie recommended to me.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...085862&alt=web
      I saw those at tires-easy.com, but was put off by the summer-only designation. I guess that means three-season actually, no snow. Might get 'em. They have them for $194 shipped. The eBay site only has two and they cost more.

Edit: ordered them.
      Last edited by TominMO; 04-18-2015, 07:31 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The eBay site is for a lot of 4. They have 2 lots for sale. Summer only for Charlie. LOL My car will only be a summer car too. Ddidn't know for sure what you were doing with yours.
        -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
          The eBay site is for a lot of 4. They have 2 lots for sale. Summer only for Charlie. LOL My car will only be a summer car too. Ddidn't know for sure what you were doing with yours.
          Oh, I misunderstood that. Anyway, The other site is cheaper, so all good. The 323 will very good four-season tires (the Generals on the Festy now) and I have actual new snow tires on Aspire steelies ready for the Aspire, so I'm set.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Hey Charlie, do you have any thoughts on which tire is better for dry and wet grip, the Achilles Economist or the Federal FD1? The FD1 is all-season and the Economist is summer only. I'm thinking this might mean the Achilles is more dedicated to doing one thing right than trying to cover all four seasons, like the FD1 does.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I haven't been able to compare the two on the same car, but I saw a set of the economist tires in a 165 55 14 today and they looked just like the 185/40-16 set on my Capri. The economist tires look like better wet weather tire than the federal. I haven't had any problems in the rain with my Capri, but it's also a much heavier car. Nonamekid has them on his car and he drove in rain today, so he may have a good review. The Federal formoza tires aren't the best rain tire. My Nankang ns2 tires were better rain tires, but those are hard to get.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-19-2015, 01:48 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks Charlie. A guy from onlinetires left a msg on my fone yesterday, saying he had good news about my (original) order for the FD1s. I had canceled the order when they called me and told me they only had two. I will call him back Monday, and expect he will say he located two more. But I already bought the Economists, and that sounds like it might be the better tire for me anyway.
                Last edited by TominMO; 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Yeah, after inspecting Ben's tires I will probably order a set as well. I like the FD-1's too, but I'd like a little better wet weather traction for my cross country excursions.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hey if anyone is interested here is a cheap coil-over for the front. But it will only get you @ 3" lower in the front. The Rio struts are just too Dang long.
                    eBay kit comes with the Blue things and sleeves $39
                    Southwest Springs $60.00
                    KYB for the Rio $100
                    Grind the perch and sway-bar link mount off and grind the seal area at the top of the strut.Slide on the sleeve and your done. I did add a stainless washer under the sleeve to spread the load out also.
                    These work good but still need to drop it another inch so I'm going to do Charlies Raceland/RSK strut Mod.

Peace-
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Got my tires and rear VW Bilsteins today. I'll put up some pics tmw. It looks like it will actually be possible to use the stock springs, with a little ingenuity; no need to go to the expense of coilovers. I'll explain when I take pics, since it will be easier.

The Achilles Economists (wierd name) are rated AA for traction. 165/55-14, V-rated, summer only. The Bilsteins are way stiffer. I'm gonna like this combo, I'm thinking.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Here are the results of my Bilstein experiment. I was able to use the stock uncut springs. They sit 2" lower than in a normal Festy strut, and are therefore easier to mount and dismount.

The way I was able to use my stock springs and not go the coilover route is that I am using very short and narrow tires, on my 6" Estrellas--165/55-14 Achilles ATR-K Economist, summer only, AA traction, V-rated. Even then I needed a 6mm spacer, as you can see.

The Bilsteins came with two different spring seats. The narrower one is on bottom, and I clearanced it on the tire side. The slightly wider one is on top. I was able to get this extra height by using the 2 1/8" connector exhaust pipe you see there. It cost $3. Between the pipe and the strut is duct tape, folded over and taped to itself. No tape is stuck onto the strut. The gap between the top spring seat and the tire is enough to fit my index finger into. I'll probably take it apart again and paint the connector pipe a nice blue.

I haven't driven it yet because I want to get the other three tires mounted and balanced; just did one today, so I'd have a real-world wheel/tire setup to check fit. Tomorrow I'll go for the first test run.

BTW the Bilstein comes with five height adjustments, 3/8" apart. The snap ring came pre-installed in the middle one, and that turned out to be best for what I was doing. IDK if the KYB strut comes with the two seats. The fact that the Bilstein did made me come up with this solution. I might possibly eventually go to a coilover setup, but maybe not; this should turn out to be very functional. I'll know more tmw obviously.

I'll take a pic tmw after all the tires are mounted and I take it for a ride, so you can see the stance. If it's too low, I might try swapping the Festy springs for Aspire ones. The spring is ~2" lower on the new strut, and the tire radius is .8" shorter than my previous tires.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 04-23-2015, 09:30 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

There is probably a pipe with the perfect I.D. for this setup. Post up an O.D. on those bodies (as accurate as you have the means to measure) and all of us folk with random pieces of metal laying around can check. Also, what did you have to do to fit the lower mount into the festy beam? The kyb shocks were too wide down there.
                          Thanks for posting all this Tom. Great info. Bilstein makes the best dampers in the world, hands down. This is a big landmark in festy handling.

Comment

Just took it for a drive to settle in the springs, about 2 miles. Rear height (ground to fender arch) is 23" on one side and 23 1/8" on the other. Fronts are 23 1/4" driver and 23 3/4" passenger. I accidentally swapped front springs, and didn't feel like taking the struts apart again. I may or may not do so to try to correct the 1/2" difference. I've heard that driver's springs tend to be slightly stiffer to compensate for a lone driver. The car's stance looks good; maybe a little high in front. I might cut 1/2 a coil on front, and put in long bump stops for protecting the strut. They are cut 1 coil now, but the end is pretty flat so it's not like cutting a normal inner coil. I think I can get away with another 1/2 coil. If not, I have other springs I can put on.

The perfect ID pipe would be 2" even or 2 1/16". I'm not sure that 2 1/16 is even available, but I'm happy with this one. Gives room for the duct tape, so I don't mar the actual strut. I think the strut is 2" even.

I did slim down the metal tube on both sides to fit the lower mount in; approx. 1/16" on each side.

But back to the drive. With these tires, the slightly cut front springs and the lower stock rear springs, and the great struts front and rear, this thing is on rails going around corners! Handles driveway ramps rally well with the Bilsteins. Stock spring rate feels fine. I can feel the difference between strut dampening/short sidewalls and old iffy Monroes/taller-sidewall dampening. The short shifter just added extra fun.

The previous tires were 175/65-14 T-rated General Altimax RT43s, and I could drift the car easily around corners just by applying power. They had a noticably lighter feel than the 185/60 Kumho Solus KR21s I had on previous to the Generals (which are now on the 323, with Capri rims). I'm sold on these 165/55-14s. Thanks for the advice Charlie.

Time for more power. Of course. It's just a B6, but I'm in consultations with Matt D...........
                            Last edited by TominMO; 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Those shorter rear shocks also do the work of a sway bar without the negatives of a sway bar. In about 300 miles of normal driving, those bilstein shocks will loosen up a bit and should ride even smoother without a sacrifice in handling. This advice is from experience with them on the VW cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                                Those shorter rear shocks also do the work of a sway bar without the negatives of a sway bar. In about 300 miles of normal driving, those bilstein shocks will loosen up a bit and should ride even smoother without a sacrifice in handling. This advice is from experience with them on the VW cars.
                                Nice! :-)

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X