Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building the ultimate Festiva street suspension...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the ultimate Festiva street suspension...

Ok, so Ive read most of the advanced suspension thread, and it is fantastic and full of information, however my head is spinning with all the info/part numbers/suppliers/etc. I recently received a one owner 1989 Festiva L as a gift from my girlfriend. The car is bone stock and in need of a proper refresh.

My ultimate goal for my build is to have a properly dialed in, fun to drive, able to hold its own on the twisties car that's capable of cruising the highway somewhat comfortably. What I'm looking for is the list of stuff to make it happen. I plan on making sure the suspension is proper as the first part of my build, and I'd like to start stockpiling parts for starting the build next summer.

Any input/part numbers/advice/etc would be greatly appreciated, as well as dimensions for parts that require machining, as I know a few machinists. I hope no one sees me as lazy, but I'm just overwhelmed by going through hundreds of pages of content trying to compile parts lists/ideas.

Thanks to everyone in advance! Pic of the car that will be going under the knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Flat black Festiva...Mostly stock...

I am in the same boat as you my friend. I have read a ton about this car and still have no clue as to what to really do. Im looking for a street killer/ autox build.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

dude thats a beautiful festiva
      88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
      89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
      93 gl FI (sold) automagical
      89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
      88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Here is exactly what I bought and I have about 1000 miles so far on mine with no issues and a firm but not too harsh ride quality.

MK3 VW coilovers- http://www.ebay.com/itm/151380830285...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 1x needed

MK2 VW rear struts- http://www.ebay.com/itm/271597130505...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 2x needed

2-1/2" ID 10" tall spring- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RACING-C...item4386304e4d 2x needed

1-7/8" ID 10" tall spring- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MIDGET-R...item43a0bbb547 2x needed

small body coilover sleeve for 1-7/8 springs- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-193...-/131499818068 2x needed.

You will also need a top coil perch for the rears. You could have one made or use washers form what I heard. The only modification you will need to do is to slot the upper mounting hole on the front coilovers to allow them to be bolted up. the rear struts are a complete drop in.

Comment

perfect! thank you so much
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Just a FYI for you guys there's a few ebay sellers out there willing to sell just the fronts of those coilovers setups I was quoted 180 for just the fronts.

Comment

Yup what Greg did except:

I wouldn't bother with the raceland kit. Build the fronts from scratch like the rears with KYB mk3 struts.

I'd use 10 inch springs in the rear, 100-140 lb rate depending on stiffness and ride height preferred. From what I understand a longer spring at a lower rate is overall better than a shorter spring with a higher rate.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Thank you for the replies guys! I've started compiling a parts list from the advanced suspension thread on building the rears, now I just need to do the same for the front.

Comment

Or for the fronts, just use '01 - '02 Rio struts & top hat, and Miata 140# springs. Total cost ~$200.
                  For the rears, go with the 1 7/8" ID, 10" long springs in prefered spring rate + the VW shocks. No rear VW is a direct drop-in, but the alteration is minor--just trim down the bottom a little bit (1/8"?), to fit into the Festiva lower rear mount cage. Washers for the top hats. Total cost ~$200 also. Springs and sleeve and adjuster nuts available at www.southwestspeed.com.

For daily driving, my Aspire has the 105# 10" rear springs with VW KYBs; feels about right with a basically empty or lightly-loaded car.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 11-28-2015, 04:50 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom, he's looking for the "ultimate" setup. From what I understand Rio struts are too long or under dampened to be optimal for this. The VW struts are better valved I believe.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

What gets used as a strut mount/bearing in the front with the VW coil overs?

Comment

Originally posted by Zman86 View Post
                        What gets used as a strut mount/bearing in the front with the VW coil overs?

Kia Rio top mounts. I swapped my '88 L to coilovers using MK2 front Racelands and MK1 Rabbit rear GR2's. Front springs are 2.5" 150# 10" tall, and the rear are 105# 10" tall, 1 7/8" diameter.

You'll need to make a bushing to make the Kia top hat fit the strut shaft tightly, or taper the top nut to keep the hat centered on the shaft.

If you have access to a lathe you can make your own rear top hats. If not just stack washers.

'88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                        '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                        '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                        '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                        '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                        '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                        How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                        How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

How much will this lower the car ?

Comment