Anti-sway bar steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    Way off topic, but if you drive from Canada on a trip to the US, and while there your car breaks , after fixing your car, when you drive home to Canada, do you have to declare the repair parts and pay a duty on them?
    If they want to yes... :/

But it would be like eating food after you cross the boarder. Its consumed. As long as your not bringing the old parts back and you dont say anything it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Way off topic, but if you drive from Canada on a trip to the US, and while there your car breaks , after fixing your car, when you drive home to Canada, do you have to declare the repair parts and pay a duty on them?
      Actually, yes they can tax you for getting a service job in another country. And they can tax you for selling parts in another country. Of course they have to know you did it, which is hard to determine on your street car. But if you cross the border with a race car on a trailer, they often threaten to go through it with a fine tooth comb to sort out what you might be importing since you left the country. Which is kind of laughable when you take a Lemons or Chumpcar back and forth into the US and Canada.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
        Actually, yes they can tax you for getting a service job in another country. And they can tax you for selling parts in another country. Of course they have to know you did it, which is hard to determine on your street car. But if you cross the border with a race car on a trailer, they often threaten to go through it with a fine tooth comb to sort out what you might be importing since you left the country. Which is kind of laughable when you take a Lemons or Chumpcar back and forth into the US and Canada.
        Oh lord, I do remember the HUGE hassle it was to get the racecars in and out of Canada when we raced World Challenge at Mosport in 2011, of the million things customs was concerned about (we had spares of everything), they seemed most concerned about the exact numbers of tyres leaving as entered. Weird
        Last edited by Dragonhealer; 04-13-2017, 04:00 PM.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Oh lord, I do remember the HUGE hassle it was to get the racecars in and out of Canada when we raced World Challenge at Mosport in 2011, of the million things customs was concerned about (we had spares of everything), they seemed most concerned about the exact numbers of tyres leaving as entered. Weird
          Yep, importing used tires across the border either way is not allowed! Soiled tires means soil, and they don't want Canadian and American dirt getting mixed up with each other. No doubt a plant disease thing. Gotta protect the agricultural industry in California and Ontario.
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
            Yep, importing used tires across the border either way is not allowed! Soiled tires means soil, and they don't want Canadian and American dirt getting mixed up with each other. No doubt a plant disease thing. Gotta protect the agricultural industry in California and Ontario.
            LMFAO !!!!!!
            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              These days, I've got a couple friends with shock dynos, but when I started this stuff I learned to push and pull on the shocks to feel what each was like. I still do that even when I get shock data. I've learned that my arm is pretty accurate, lol.
              It's really not that complicated once you know the basics. I can elaborate more on that, but it would be best for a separate thread on shock and spring selection.
              To revalve a Monroe or KYB you've gotta cut it apart with a pipe cutter. To be able to reassemble it without a pressurized nitrogen chamber, you've gotta fit a fill hole with Schrader valve.
              It's just easier to buy cheap strut inserts and try them and push and pull on them until you get a literal "feel" for what you need.
              I have never ice raced, and my Festiva ice experience is limited to a few test runs, but I'm no nube to driving or racing on the slippery stuff. My first experiences with setting up race cars was SCCA pro forest rally in Maine. I've set up and test driven quite a few A arm equipped cars (VW and Mazda) in the snow and ice. To me, it feels like the Festiva gets better driving traction than the VWs. As far as turn in goes, that's a book to be written, but we should focus on increasing front grip, rather than reducing rear. Reducing grip is detuning the car, on either end.
              Since I use a decel/turn in to set the front in these cars, and you can't use the brakes on ice with rubber, I'd focus on a driveline that has a perfect engine braking to set the front. That would be my focus to get the rear to come out. The sway bar removal is also a great way to get the front grip you need. Maybe just make a set of trailing links like the rio has.
              I would avoid stiffer springs and stiffer sway bars on either end if you want to be faster.
              I helped build and test a shock dyno for Roehrig Racing. They have campaigned a nascar at one time, but were concentrating on selling services to race teams at that time.

Comment

Nice. Yeah, there are a few types. My favorite one uses hydraulics. It has a controller with a program that simulates shock loads. We can upload data from the telemetry on the car and duplicate the track conditions. I've been asked not to take pictures of it, because it's on loan from ZF Sachs and they are pretty proud of it.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hey, I decided to revive this old thread, since almost 3 years later I finally took action. (I had the luxury of living in warmer climates the previous two winters, so Thricetiva just sat on her broken rear axle.))
                  I had a friend weld a 15 mm diam rod through the beam, so that the axle is now just like an Aspire rear beam axle. It is certainly stiffer, and now matches the Aspire front sway bar I am using. The front Aspire sway bar is dictated for geometry reasons associated with lowering the engine to better fit the G25mr tranny with the B6T.

It works really well on the ice race track! It is now far easier to pitch the car into a corner, and get it pointed in the right direction for the front wheels to pull me around. The car feels really well balanced, and has been winning races.

At the same time, I am using the full travel of the shocks front and rear, occasionally bottoming out in the rear over bumps and ruts, so shortening the travel of the rear shocks would have created problems.
                  Last edited by Icedawg; 02-03-2019, 12:46 PM.
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build

Comment

Working...
                  X