No announcement yet.

SLAM MY ASPIRE!! Help me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its also worth noting my stealies rub on the spring. So you will have to change to low offset wheels.

Being rx7's are literally everwere (even in nz) this is gona be an easy way for anyone festiva owner to slam there rear ends. I paid 100 dollars NZD to do this (kinda costly) But cheaper to spending 1200NZD ON using golf adjusties
    Owner of NZ's Lowest Aspire (festiva in nz)

Comment

You need the rubber bushings in your shock top mounts. This is very important, to allow your shocks to articulate. If they are bolted solid then you'll bend your shock shafts or bind the shocks up and cause abnormal wear.
      Your also going to have to grind the beam for clearance or it will hit your shock bottoms when the beam articulates. Check this by removing your springs, but bolt up the shocks and Jack up the suspension through it's travel. You'll find that you need to grind off the upper corner of the rear of the shock retaining bracket. It will hit your shocks and dent them.

We don't use MK1 golf adjustable coilovers because they don't fit well. The bottoms don't fit and the springs are too wide and the wrong rate. We use KYB shocks for a MK1 VW that we put sleeves and narrower springs on. The whole setup is not much more expensive than your used RX7 shocks, but it's brand new and provides lots of tire clearance for wide wheels. The KYB shocks can be purchased for 40 dollars a piece here brand new, and have track proven performance and comfort on these cars.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

In new zealand that cant be done. I will find a better method of mounting aswell. This was hashed out to get me rolling

Comment

Originally posted by SrrTalkalot View Post
          In new zealand that cant be done. I will find a better method of mounting aswell. This was hashed out to get me rolling
          How so? You can't buy KYB shocks for a mk1 VW golf there? The application is much more comparable to a festiva than the suspension on an RX7. Any automotive engineer would agree that it's a shock that was designed to perform in the same way a festiva shock was designed to perform. An RX7 has a much different chassis and is RWD. It's dampening requirements are vastly different than a Festiva/Aspire. It's hard to believe that your safety inspection would prefer a set of old worn racing shocks for a completely different chassis design over a set of new, regularly available OEM replacement shocks for a very similar chassis design.
          They VW shocks work with stock springs as well, but they are 3" shorter than stock, so you can cut your springs a lot and they won't float. You won't have the tyre clearance of the narrow springs though.

Here is a picture of how they look mounted up. Pretty hard to tell that these parts weren't actually meant for this car, and all it takes is 1 ride to realise that they should have come this way from the factory.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-29-2016, 06:03 PM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

In NZ its illegal to modify the body of the shock obsorvber. The rx7 hasnt been modified (except filing i hope they miss)

Ive spoken to the nz lvvta and i need better bump stops. And better mounting up top. So a wee bit more planing to do

Comment

The shock body doesn't need to be modified the spring perch is removable. "File" the dust caps and slid the sleeves on .
              The lower mounts need "filed" like the rx7 shocks did to fit the beam. The mk1 shocks provide the drop ,ride and handling you desire.

Comment

What people miss with the mk1 stuff is im in nz. We dont get things cheap here. If you want cheep you go second hand. And even then you have to find it.

For mk1 shocks alone i was looking at 400 bucks. This cost me 100 so far.

Also handling isnt big for me. Im not trying to make a track monster. Im trying to make a daily driver thats low and slow. With a motor to leave people stuned

Comment

So i used the original rubber things and bumpstops and stuff, Worked very well, Its pretty much sorted now rear wise anyway. Rides pretty good. Might go a softer spring however.

Overall the cars coming along well for me and looks good. I got some Suziki swift front adjusties on the way. SO thats the next step. And maybe get the car lower.

Last edited by SrrTalkalot; 07-24-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X