No announcement yet.

More wheel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 155/80 13 on my stock b3 now. They might be more fuel efficiant if your diciplined enough to drive 8% slower than your speedometer reads but i am not. So my fuel milage is the same as with the stock size.

For any kind of performance i do not like the power loss from the taller tire or the tall sidewall. You really notice the extra sidewall hight...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
      SimpleTire.com has plenty of options for 14's. It all depends on how tall of a tire you want and if you want your speedo to be correct. I wouldn't use the 155's on a 6" wheel again, it just doesn't look good.

Size Diameter

165/55/14 = 537
      165/60/14 = 554
      165/65/14 = 570
      165/70/14 = 587

175/65/14 = 583 (Cheapest Option - $155 Shipped)

Most Common 12" "Almost Stock Size"
      155/80/12's = 553mm Diameter
      Size you quoted
      155/80/13's = 578mm Diameter

You will have to check on the brands because not all of them are Achilles but we don't have test info on all the tires yet so feel free to share your experiences with other brands.
      I know it's off from the factory size. It was recommended for optimizing rpm at 50-55mph. I also am considering that if I use 185/50-14 to 165/60, I will still be able to use my snow chains...

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
      I have 155/80 13 on my stock b3 now. They might be more fuel efficiant if your diciplined enough to drive 8% slower than your speedometer reads but i am not. So my fuel milage is the same as with the stock size.

For any kind of performance i do not like the power loss from the taller tire or the tall sidewall. You really notice the extra sidewall hight...
      I'm well tempered enough. If I so choose, I can drive slow enough to piss off even the slowest grandmothers driving their '89 Towncar to church on Sunday morning. But ill have to decide at some point how much I need fuel economy and how much I want to drive with charisma
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        SimpleTire.com has plenty of options for 14's. It all depends on how tall of a tire you want and if you want your speedo to be correct. I wouldn't use the 155's on a 6" wheel again, it just doesn't look good.

Size Diameter

165/55/14 = 537
        165/60/14 = 554
        165/65/14 = 570
        165/70/14 = 587

175/65/14 = 583 (Cheapest Option - $155 Shipped)

Most Common 12" "Almost Stock Size"
        155/80/12's = 553mm Diameter
        Size you quoted
        155/80/13's = 578mm Diameter

You will have to check on the brands because not all of them are Achilles but we don't have test info on all the tires yet so feel free to share your experiences with other brands.
        Optimal diameter is 22" (or 540mm), another way to look at it is the tires revs per mile and in this case, you want to be in the 915-920 range.

We need to keep in mind that the factory tire size is smaller than the correct tire size for the speedometer. Doing that helped boost perceived fuel economy.

A few years ago there was a big stink about tire size and speedo accuracy, so I went out and did testing with several GPS and used the FSM speedo gear and cluster specs to come up with those numbers above.
        Last edited by FestYboy; 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This was on a listing for a ford service manual. They had a photo of this page. I couldnt believe the 'acceptable range'

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Trying to match a wheel diameter to speedo accuracy is a guessing game. Pedro has 165/65-13s and my original Festiva has 155/80-13s, both with orange face tach clusters, and both read about 1/2 mph low, which is fine as far as the accuracy goes. The speedo accuracy is very hit or miss, anyway.
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I haven't found that to be true across the 5 Festivas and 3 aspires I tested... It's been surprisingly consistent for me given that they are mechanical clusters. I've also tested my numbers against mile markers and the odometer... 22" is where it's at.
              Last edited by FestYboy; 10-22-2017, 10:04 PM.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Are these the same damn tire...

Michelin Rally Gravel TL

Dmack DMG3

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Up here in canada tires like 165/60/14 are hard to come by and expensive. Where as 185/60/14 are cheap and plentiful. Can 185/60/14 be fit to a festiva with stock suspension and rio front brakes? I wont mind if i have to run fender flares...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Sleeper; 03-22-2018, 08:38 PM.
                  Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                    Up here in canada tires like 165/60/14 are hard to come by and expensive. Where as 185/60/14 are cheap and plentiful. Can 185/60/14 be fit to a festiva with stock suspension and rio front brakes? I wont mind if i have to run fender flares...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
                    Hi! There are a couple options. There is a Canadian site that sells 165/55 r14. 4 tires are $435 shipped to me in Alberta, they probably come from ontario so maybe shipping is cheaper for you. https://www.1010tires.com/store/shop...&qty=4&lang=en
                    They also have another cheaper option but are out of stock right now. You could call them about it. https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/West...55006#features

Another option if your still in stratford is crossing the boarder. The 165/55 r14 achilles are really nice and ship free at simple tire. $230usd for 4. Can be cheaper on ebay or other tire sites https://simpletire.com/my_cart/checkout (tires easy is $196 plus free shipping)
                    Ship them to a festiva guy just south of the boarder, theres a bunch guys in the buffalo to detroit area. When they arrive take a drive down and visit for an afternoon, pick up your tires, get them installed in the states and drive back on them. one day deal and you dont have to pay customs or tax that way.

If you dont want to do any of those options we need to know what rims you have to know if they fit. What rim width and what offset.
                    Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-22-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

At one point in time there was wiggle room in the acuracy dept. and all manufacturers used it to their advantage . If the speedo runs runs fast your car is faster, and gets better gas milage and hit's the magic 100,000 mile better sell it mark sooner. If all you are worried about is mph so you don't get tickets pull your gauge cluster push the tabs in, pull the face and move the speedo pointer where you need it,so at 50mph it say's 50. Everything above or below will be close enogh how about that I can move a speedo pointer where I want it but can't spell enough. LOL some of my sport bikes would read 150mph really running about a buck thirty. Do the magazine guys use the speedos or real measurements.
                      Last edited by ricko1966; 03-23-2018, 08:20 PM.
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Has anyone made a sleeve for mismatched centerbore/hub? Recommendations? Is it easier with a wider gap?

Comment

Google hub centric rings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                            Google hub centric rings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                            Awesome, thanks. Any recommended material?

Comment

I've been using a $7 set of plastic rings (off Amazon) for about 6 months and 6k miles now.. So far, so good. My BMW bottlecaps have been removed and installed probably 3 times in that timeframe, the plastic has yet to crack or come loose. I'd say try the cheap and see what happens!

Joe
                              Last edited by Spike; 05-28-2018, 08:20 PM.
                              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                              1988 LX 5-speed
                              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Working...
                              X