Kia Rio Rear Spindle Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia Rio Rear Spindle Swap?

I know that there has been people who have swapped the full Aspire Rear beam and some that have did a little grinding and fit the Aspire spindles to the Festiva rear beam. But has anybody tried modifying the Festiva rear beam to accept the Kia Rio rear spindle? I would assume it would be easier, once done, to find brake parts, spindles, and drums that don't need to have wheel studs put in.

I don't think it would be too hard to do, but I don't have access to a Kia Rio or the knowledge and experience with drum brakes.

I figure you could take a piece of 2 or 3 mil steel, drill out the holes to match the Kia Rio spindles along with a few holes to plug weld the piece to the beam axle in place of the original Festy or Aspire spindles, as long as the center point of the spindles doesn't move everything should be kosher. You could also make them drop plates to lower the rear a little with the sacrifice of wheel/tire clearance.

Would it be worth it?
    1992 White Festiva GL Sport AKA Project "Spud Missle"

It's not a bad Idea.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'll have to fish out the pics in my old phone that I took of an 11 Rio. 4x114 and larger brakes than an xr2 plus the steering arm sits lower AND inverts the outer tie rod end. Add in the ball joint lowering blocks and things can get REALLY low.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

They went BACK to 4x114?

Also hes talking rear not front.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I think he meant 4x100.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

No... I don't think so... Again, I have to check pics, but I'm fairly certain they are 114. (I have a thing for that pattern). Kinda why it piqued my interest.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Rio is 4x100. Hyundai stayed 4x114.3

Comment

Ok then, I'm a derp.

Comment

Have those who have been able to adapt the aspire spindles on the festiva beam been able to use the stock ebrake or install an aspire ebrake? That would be the next hurtle with a rio rear brake swap for sure....

If someone can build adapter plates, i will be the first guy to buy a set!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
                  Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X