Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tools to get to do a good DIY wheel alignment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats sears usa, but i hadnt thought of them, thanks. Sears Canada's website was down for repairs. Canadian tire sells an 8 in one like that for $70, i just hadnt been looking for a torpedo level. I just bought this level on ebay for $37

And these longacre racing toe plates. For $108 http://www.ebay.com/itm/331724195351

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-26-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

so for alignment shims in the rear where do you guys get them and do you use 2x 1.5 degree shims or are you getting 3 degree ones somewhere? someone mentioned they got 1.5degree shims from summit racing and used 2 per side on the rear. rockauto sells moog and ac delco 1.5 degree shims for less than half of what summit does. Is there a difference in brand quality or build style? Last time I talked to skeeters_keeper he was still hoping to have some plates made for forum members by the end of december, if that doesnt happen I want to know which rear shims to buy, thanks.
      heres the link to the summit racing ones for $14: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5200/overview/
      The rockauto ones by moog and acdelco look the same to me for $6.50 and $8.57 respectively. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ent+shim,10657

Comment

What about using this? ( For those of us that have harbor freight) http://m.harborfreight.com/digital-a...uge-95998.html

Comment

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
          What about using this? ( For those of us that have harbor freight) http://m.harborfreight.com/digital-a...uge-95998.html
          That's very similar to the Angle Cube I originally used. The Angle cube was around 30 bucks online. The battery died and I ran to Home depot and bought a 6" digital level that I use now.
          You'll want a straight piece of steel to stick that little level to when measuring at the wheels.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            so for alignment shims in the rear where do you guys get them and do you use 2x 1.5 degree shims or are you getting 3 degree ones somewhere? someone mentioned they got 1.5degree shims from summit racing and used 2 per side on the rear. rockauto sells moog and ac delco 1.5 degree shims for less than half of what summit does. Is there a difference in brand quality or build style? Last time I talked to skeeters_keeper he was still hoping to have some plates made for forum members by the end of december, if that doesnt happen I want to know which rear shims to buy, thanks.
            heres the link to the summit racing ones for $14: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5200/overview/
            The rockauto ones by moog and acdelco look the same to me for $6.50 and $8.57 respectively. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ent+shim,10657

Most people use washers or custom made shims for over 2 degrees adjustment.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              That's very similar to the Angle Cube I originally used. The Angle cube was around 30 bucks online. The battery died and I ran to Home depot and bought a 6" digital level that I use now.
              You'll want a straight piece of steel to stick that little level to when measuring at the wheels.
              Hmm ok. I took a quick look on Home Depots website and couldn't find any 6 inch ones. BUT, I did find https://www.amazon.com/Digi-Pas-Digi...ct_top?ie=UTF8 If its good enough for the guys at Bad Obsession Motorsports it should be fine for me.

Comment

There ya go!

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Most people use washers or custom made shims for over 2 degrees adjustment.
                  Ok, thanks. Should you always keep front and back the same for camber or would it be beneficial at all to go negative 2-3 degrees on the front and only -1.5 on the back for simplicity of just using one of those shims?

Comment

Hey Charlie! What's your street cambers on Pedro?
                    No car too fast !

Comment

So my angle cube and toe plates arrived.

I ordered some acdelco and moog 1.5 degree shims for the rear from rockauto. They havent arrived yet. Im still not sure if the car would handle ok if you ran different camber front to rear but i am thinking of doing -1.5 degrees at all 4 wheels.

Comment

I have -1.5 ish in the rear factory aspire rear, and run -3.5 up front . It handles great but I would like to have more in the rear and get my toe closer to 0 it's toe in now I believe , it's been a while .

Comment

Having dissimilar camber specs only changes where the car wants to balance at the limit. You'll never feel it during normal driving. The last few cars I set up had dissimilar camber specs on purpose.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                            Hey Charlie! What's your street cambers on Pedro?

Currently -4 degrees on all 4 corners.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                              I have -1.5 ish in the rear factory aspire rear, and run -3.5 up front . It handles great but I would like to have more in the rear and get my toe closer to 0 it's toe in now I believe , it's been a while .
                              Thanks. Did you ever try it with 1.5 all around or just less in the front straight away?

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              Having dissimilar camber specs only changes where the car wants to balance at the limit. You'll never feel it during normal driving. The last few cars I set up had dissimilar camber specs on purpose.
                              Ok Thanks. I did a bunch of reading on alignments today and it seems the only people who question how to align their cars different from factory are those who want to race...
                              But I think -1.5 degrees all around will work well for what i want to do. Straight line braking tire grip will be more important than cornering grip i believe.
                              and slight toe in on the front and rear. Front should pull to zero toe when power is applied which will be all the time when im towing and go back to slight toe in when i let off the gas or brake is the theory in my head anyway.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-05-2017, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                                Thanks. Did you ever try it with 1.5 all around or just less in the front straight away?

Ok Thanks. I did a bunch of reading on alignments today and it seems the only people who question how to align their cars different from factory are those who want to race...
                                That's just the most common group that you'll find discussing camber, but it's not the only place for this topic. I've found the factory settings to be less than ideal on a good portion of the automobiles that I've owned, even for daily driving. Want 5 more mpg, 15k more miles from your tires and better traction everywhere? Many cars can reap the benefits of better alignment optimization.
                                Negative camber is also helpful in a straight line. It improves traction and stability, while reducing rolling resistance.
                                Your estimate is a good starting point. You may not be able to get more than a degree of negative camber in the front with stock replacement struts though.
                                Toe is critical to tire wear, more so than camber. Camber is often blamed for tire wear, but it's the toe that causes the scrub and wears the tire in the spot of most pressure. Neutral toe drastically reduces tire wear and rolling resistance. Neutral toe without a good amount of negative camber may feel unstable and might tend to wander. The negative camber helps stabilize the car. Kind of like skiing. When your not on edge at all the skis wander around, but tilt your knees in a bit and you gain stability.
                                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X