No announcement yet.

Fabricating Custom Suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made these struts a couple years ago to test different damper rates and styles. You may notice that the strut extends further down past the mounting ears than normal. This accomplished the same thing as moving the bolt holes down on the knuckle. It worked really really well.
    One advantage to shortening the mount flange on the knuckle is that you can run a wider 13" wheel. I want to run 13x7.5 wheels, but they don't clear everything due to them hitting the knuckle in this area. I am using Festiva knuckles on my next street build, because I think they clear the rim better. Aspire hubs will press into Festiva knuckles, but I'll have to use a custom caliper (like Nate explained.)
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-03-2017, 10:21 AM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What if the steering arm, and Caliper mount were fabbed 4130 sub assemblies that bolted to the aluminum bearing carrier/strut tube? This allows adjustability by having different brackets. Also, these sub assemblies could be replaced with Ti parts for the ultimate weight savings (until we save up enough pennies for the blow molded Ti that Ryal wants to use, or the Carbon/Kevlar units with Ti inserts.)
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
        I would alter the design to use a sealed spherical bearing pressed into the knuckle, rather than into the control arm. This allows for lighter control arms that are easier to make and they could even be adjustable.
        Also, rather than make the knuckle bolt up to a coilover shock, I'd integrate it into t he strut tube. This saves weight and actually makes the product less expensive, as the threaded strut tube could be welded into the knuckle. 2 12.5" pieces of aluminum tubing with 1 late op is cheaper than a set of MK2 coilovers, and wayyyyy lighter.
        Are you referring to something like the Taurus strut mount system (to the knuckle)?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm trying to picture the strut mount you're suggesting, it would just be a round bore deep enough to accept your threaded insert body? it makes sense, though I wouldn't trust my welding for that, but doesn't that eliminate our only point of camber adjustment in the front? Also it seems like it would increase the size of stock needed quite a bit, because you'd still need the back of your strut to be ~ the same distance as it is now, for wheel clearance.

If you went that route, would you then adjust camber with the top strut mount? That would require something custom too. Let's go down that rabbit trail for a bit. I like the Rio top hats, with a bearing and rubber mount, but would there be much benefit to being able to adjust camber at the strut mount? Could caster be adjusted there as well? I feel like my car would benefit from more caster, previously I've thought about moving the swaybar mounts forward to play with that but it will put a fair amount of stress on the inner LCA bushings.
          If adjustable upper mounts would be the best way to adjust caster/camber, are there any good designs that would allow us to use a rubber mounted spherical bearing and still get a decent amount of adjustment? Could perhaps integrate a "drop" design like Charlie did on Pedro's (or was it tweak's?) tophats... but there's not a lot of room to play with in the top of the strut towers.

I like the idea of having the LCA bearing pressed into the knuckle, but as you mentioned that would require a custom LCA... adjustable LCAs could provide camber adjustment, negating the need for the adjustable tophats (if one were to do a one piece knuckle/damper receiver like you mentioned).
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            Are you referring to something like the Taurus strut mount system (to the knuckle)?
            This Is What I Pictured As Well Just Without The Pinch bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              No, more like a Virgo, or Sagittarius.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                I'm trying to picture the strut mount you're suggesting, it would just be a round bore deep enough to accept your threaded insert body? it makes sense, though I wouldn't trust my welding for that, but doesn't that eliminate our only point of camber adjustment in the front? Also it seems like it would increase the size of stock needed quite a bit, because you'd still need the back of your strut to be ~ the same distance as it is now, for wheel clearance.

If you went that route, would you then adjust camber with the top strut mount? That would require something custom too. Let's go down that rabbit trail for a bit. I like the Rio top hats, with a bearing and rubber mount, but would there be much benefit to being able to adjust camber at the strut mount? Could caster be adjusted there as well? I feel like my car would benefit from more caster, previously I've thought about moving the swaybar mounts forward to play with that but it will put a fair amount of stress on the inner LCA bushings.
                If adjustable upper mounts would be the best way to adjust caster/camber, are there any good designs that would allow us to use a rubber mounted spherical bearing and still get a decent amount of adjustment? Could perhaps integrate a "drop" design like Charlie did on Pedro's (or was it tweak's?) tophats... but there's not a lot of room to play with in the top of the strut towers.

I like the idea of having the LCA bearing pressed into the knuckle, but as you mentioned that would require a custom LCA... adjustable LCAs could provide camber adjustment, negating the need for the adjustable tophats (if one were to do a one piece knuckle/damper receiver like you mentioned).

Like this, except the strut tube would be pressed into the knuckle, rather than clamped and would be welded in and stress relieved/heat treated after weld. Precision dimensions would then be finish machined after heat treat.
                If the knuckle had bolt on steering arm and brake plate, it could be machined from a smaller piece of material. It would even be possible to use forged billets.
                The ball joint mount on this knuckle is like that found on the Festiva, but I would rather have a spherical bearing pressed in on a vertical plane.
                Camber would be adjustable with the control arm and upper mount. The way we adjust it on the Festiva is not the best way to get Camber, but we do it because it works. It's best to keep the strut tube and wheel as parallel as possible.
                Caster could be adjustable at the top strut mount, or by using and elliptical housing on the spherical bearing/lower ball joint.

Comment

No, more like a Virgo, or Sagittarius.
                  D'oh!
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Like this, except the strut tube would be pressed into the knuckle, rather than clamped and would be welded in and stress relieved/heat treated after weld. Precision dimensions would then be finish machined after heat treat.
                    If the knuckle had bolt on steering arm and brake plate, it could be machined from a smaller piece of material. It would even be possible to use forged billets.
                    The ball joint mount on this knuckle is like that found on the Festiva, but I would rather have a spherical bearing pressed in on a vertical plane.
                    Camber would be adjustable with the control arm and upper mount. The way we adjust it on the Festiva is not the best way to get Camber, but we do it because it works. It's best to keep the strut tube and wheel as parallel as possible.
                    Caster could be adjustable at the top strut mount, or by using and elliptical housing on the spherical bearing/lower ball joint.
                    Makes sense. Adjusting caster at the LBJ... would that work? I thought maintaining a co-planar relationship between the strut axis, LBJ, and contact patch/wheel center line was desirable.

Edit: Ok, I just took a short trip down google lane and apparently my simple picture of how caster works is a bit too simple. I think caster is just the line between the upper strut pivot and LBJ (steering axis) relative to vertical, adjustments at the LBJ would really be effecting trail? Because you're really moving the knuckle/wheel around but the steering axis would stay in the same spot. I dunno, I've never given caster a whole lot of thought.
                    Last edited by skeeters_keeper; 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM.
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Holy crap. I was expecting maybe a couple people to post something about billet knuckles and I come back to Carbonfiber/Kevlar and forging. I was just looking to make something in my garage. I was considering Ti plate cuz I can TIG a little bit. I would just need to get my own welder. Soooo... Is the jig-and-tweak idea good or bad?
                      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Sid,
                        I'm going to make fabbed plate style knuckles for my track car. It's a great way to get the design nailed down before sending off for investment cast titanium parts. Lol.
                        Start off with mild steel plate, if that works, move to 4130. If that works try titanium. You'll want a purge chamber for Ti.

Comment

Ok, so use cheap materials to get the dimensions and work up to lighter/stronger materials. Cool

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Yeah, mild steel is the cheapest and easiest to work with. 4130 can be a pain in the butt to form. Titanium is quite costly, hard to weld properly and dangerous to machine, so the cost goes up on machine work.

Comment

What's the Go-To brake upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                              X