Favorite tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite tire sizes

Hey guys so I got lucky today and got these sweet red xxr wheels basically for free. They are 15x8 and came off a mini cooper, here is a link to them: http://www.xxrwheels.com/wheels/xxr-025

I need new tires asap and I really want to put those wheels on my car but I don't know what tire size to get. I just want something smooth at all speeds, especially high speeds should I go with those wheels or stick to my 13 inch wheels?

Also I just wanted to make this thread for people to post their favorite tire sizes for 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 inch rims. My favorite so far has been Achilles 175/60/r13 122's, as recommended by festyboy. I am yet to try another wheel size and I want to try 14 or 15 inch next!
    92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Mine is 165/55/14 love em.
    Next is 185/60/14 I know too tall still like em.
    I would go with 165/45/15s there will be strech
    Last edited by william; 06-09-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

One of my cars has 165-55-14's, one has 185-55-15's and the other one has 195-50-15's.
      depending on motor trans and how you plan to drive depends on the tire size, with other considerations thrown in the mix.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

william I looked into the 165/45/15s and those are too small in diameter for my likings, I do like the looks of the 165/60/15s tho.
        Jerry thats wild I was just looking into the 195/50/15's and im liking what i see. I just got bp/ hydro g series installed! I like to drive fast when I'm not in traffic, zoom zoom. both of those 15 inch tire sizes seem pretty similar, which one would you recommend to me?

Comment

You want an overall diameter of 21-22 inches for your wheels, and usually a bit on the thinner side, If you are on stock suspension, it is very easy to rub the rear spring perch, especially with just the smallest amount of width or height.
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
          Feel free to PM me anytime!
          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by fudge View Post
            william I looked into the 165/45/15s and those are too small in diameter for my likings, I do like the looks of the 165/60/15s tho.
            Jerry thats wild I was just looking into the 195/50/15's and im liking what i see. I just got bp/ hydro g series installed! I like to drive fast when I'm not in traffic, zoom zoom. both of those 15 inch tire sizes seem pretty similar, which one would you recommend to me?
            My bp turbo car has the 185-55-15's on it. They are Federal SS 595 and have a 260 tread wear. They stick very good as it has a cable g series with mfactory lsd in it. It also has the 5th gear mod. Very nice combo.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Favorite tire sizes

My favorite is 185/60/14 which I am running now. Going to get some Ironman RB-12s with a little stretch. Works well with modded suspension. I run 13s in the winter with Firestone winter forces and just cut through the snow, they are pretty awesome.
              Last edited by sodakfastiva; 06-09-2017, 11:53 PM.
              93 Festiva B6 5spd

Comment

155/80 13s work fine for me on 2 cars with stock suspension and Metro wheels. I have the same size on Excel wheels and lowering springs, but have to use 10 mm spacers on the rear to prevent a very occasional rub on the LR shock when cornering, very rarely, as I said. Pedro, with Advancedynamix suspension package and negative camber, has 165/65-13s.
                "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                "Wenona"-89L parts car
                "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

The speedometer reads within 1 mph of a gps speedo with 165/50-15's on my '88. Read some of Charlie's posts about tire width, he prefers narrower tires due to the increased pressure on the tread surface. To wide and it'll hydroplane easily and have less grip in the dry since the cars are so light.
                  '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                  '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                  '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                  '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                  '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                  '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                  How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                  How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

^ especially in the back. The front isn't such a concern, and even less with a BP/G, due to the extra weight. I wouldn't feel safe with wider than 185mm tires on the back without a decent amount of negative camber. The back end will try to pass the front end with wide tires.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

^agreed my 185/60/14's where down right scary in the rain.
                      But with 700 tread wair they lasted for over 100k! With rotation at ever oil change.
                      I'm running 165/55/14's now and the wet grip is great as is the dry.

Comment

So far my two favorite sizes are 185/55/15 (thank you team lightning) and 165/60/15 because a lot of people are saying sizes with 165/x/14-15 and that was my favorite size with 165mm. I still have til next paycheck to decide because I realized that I'm broke hahaha so I'm sure I'll find more sizes and get more advice! What do you guys think, 185 or 165?

Comment

165 will have a better balance and be less scary in poor weather.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So I just remembered does my wheel size have anything to do with my choice in tire size? I found the perfect width for 8in is 205mm but that's too wide. Will 165 tires be ok on an 8in wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by fudge View Post
                              So I just remembered does my wheel size have anything to do with my choice in tire size? I found the perfect width for 8in is 205mm but that's too wide. Will 165 tires be ok on an 8in wheel?
                              Lol, no.

Just look it up some more, thats just a guideline, but i think 7inch would strech a 165 more than ideal

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-10-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X