Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierrus60
    replied
    you can use Volkswagen golf jetta lug bolts for 1/4 longer , ( make sure the front bolts are not too long and being in contact with the brake rotor )

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    There is a Honda stud with the same dimensions, for which there is an aftermarket long racing stud set, at less than 1/2 the price.
    I have used these to stud rear drums. Chinese studs in the front.....I haven't had the balls to try!

Leave a comment:

• N47H4NI3L
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    Rick, the Jettas proved to be too much for the thread in studs when driven by a fast driver, of course that is a heavy car. Many people have success with them however.
    The ARP racing studs for Miata are a direct fit including for aspire, Mazda2, early Rio and others. For threaded hubs, drill and ream to the correct diameter and press in.
    AU$60+ per wheel!! [emoji50] I might need to do this conversion soon, is there a cheaper alternative?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Rick, the Jettas proved to be too much for the thread in studs when driven by a fast driver, of course that is a heavy car. Many people have success with them however.
    The ARP racing studs for Miata are a direct fit including for aspire, Mazda2, early Rio and others. For threaded hubs, drill and ream to the correct diameter and press in.

Leave a comment:

• Rick the Quick
    replied
    Hey Ryal, did you not at one time post a story about screw in studs coming loose on a race car? I have been running Gorilla screw ins with red 271? Loctite for 2 years of street driving with no problems.When I get around to getting the B6T car on the road I will look for press in studs.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
    I don't see any reason press in studs could not be used. I used thread in studs with Loctite because of ease of installation and I don't look to do any racing. With the exception of some German cars almost all cars use wheel studs with nuts. Why did Kia elect to use lug bolts?
    In production, wheel bolts are cheaper than studs. But I don't know if that is the reason they do it.
    Both our MK5 Jettas and Mini Coopers S came with wheel bolts, which come loose when hot (racing). Headed and splined studs (pressed in from the back) are all we will use. Even in the Festivas.
    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-05-2018, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rick the Quick
    replied
    I don't see any reason press in studs could not be used. I used thread in studs with Loctite because of ease of installation and I don't look to do any racing. With the exception of some German cars almost all cars use wheel studs with nuts. Why did Kia elect to use lug bolts?

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    We used to spot face the backs of drums and hubs and press in studs all the time when I worked at the machine shop. I've also seen people screw button head allens in from behind and tack weld them, that always intriqued and scared me but not enough that I ever researched it.
    Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
    I wonder if normal studs can be installed - the ones with a mushroom head on the back that are pulled through or pressed into place

I kind of doubt there are any hubs or rotors that have studs instead of bolt holes, especially captive rotor type for the front

Sent from my Plain Old PC using Greasy Fingers...

Leave a comment:

• Greywolf
    replied
    I wonder if normal studs can be installed - the ones with a mushroom head on the back that are pulled through or pressed into place

I kind of doubt there are any hubs or rotors that have studs instead of bolt holes, especially captive rotor type for the front

Sent from my Plain Old PC using Greasy Fingers...
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
    I use green rechargeable batteries in almost everything from remotes to flashlights. I started doing that when I got an XBOX360 that had a wireless controller, and those same batteries from four years ago are still holding charges.

It's an excellent point about the studs - I would be inclined to use GREEN Loctite on them instead of red though, machinists use that on internal parts to make sure nothing comes unglued
    * Green loctite has to be heated to 500 degrees f. to make it release
    I have had my front brakes over 450f and i dont even race, lol. Is there loctite that can take more heat than that?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Greywolf
    replied
    I use green rechargeable batteries in almost everything from remotes to flashlights. I started doing that when I got an XBOX360 that had a wireless controller, and those same batteries from four years ago are still holding charges.

It's an excellent point about the studs - I would be inclined to use GREEN Loctite on them instead of red though, machinists use that on internal parts to make sure nothing comes unglued
    * Green loctite has to be heated to 500 degrees f. to make it release
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    In my experience the problem area with Chinese AAA flashlights is the switch. I have recently bought some with the newer square LEDs from Wal-Mart (Ozark Trail brand) and Lowes that seem decent.

Leave a comment:

• Rick the Quick
    replied
    See what you started Tom? Now I will go further off topic. Here are the only two items I purchase from Harbour Freight.
    The first one being a 20? ounce universal, disposable paint cup for gravity fed paint guns and the other item is the blue LED flashlight. It's small enough to hold in your mouth. The flashlight is decent when they work and they use 3 AAA's. I keep them in the cars and all over the house and shop. They are sometimes free with any purchase and sometimes I breakdown and buy the 2 pack for $2.99. 100 AAA's are as low as $20 delivered to your door on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
    I'm with the Tom in Mo. Gorilla screw in studs. It seems like it was Tom who sold me on them and I have no regrets especially now that I am running 10mm spacers on the rear with my 14" wheels. The studs make changing wheels so much easier especially in the dark.......in the dark? Who works in the dark? Probably none of us but get a flat at midnight and you will be glad you have studs to hang the wheel on.
    Going off topic here, but for a good cause.....

At Wal-Mart they have cheap plastic Chinese headlamps for one dollar in the camping section. Very handy to have in the glove box. Not the greatest of course, for a buck, but they will certainly get you through a tire change at night, for example. It uses two of the flat watch batteries, CR2025 IIRC, Costs more to buy new batteries than to buy another headlamp! :-) Even with the Chinese batteries the lamp is good for a few hours.

I keep a couple in my toolbox, and in my kitchen junk drawer.
    Last edited by TominMO; 10-04-2018, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    My stock studs on Rosie also work fine with the old RX7 Phone Dial wheels.

I think it's mainly when you go to the Aspire, etc. front knuckles that the removable rotors (which aren't threaded) add some thickness (about 12mm or so) and make stock studs questionable.

Karl

Leave a comment:

Working...
X