Front aspire issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front aspire issue

What is the difference between the auto an manual aspire front setup? Can I use the either, does it matter at all if my Festy is an auto or manual? I looked up the festy and it seems the axles are the same so I assume the hubs are the same. I just need to know before I strip the assfire.
    You got the stickers I got the parts!

the autos rotors are thicker than the manual rotors. You can use either auto or manual, just make sure you get both from the same car.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the information!!!
      You got the stickers I got the parts!

Comment

Originally posted by niklid05
        the autos rotors are thicker than the manual rotors. You can use either auto or manual, just make sure you get both from the same car.
        So my setup of a manual I would be better to replace the rotors with the autos?? Sorry not trying hijack.
        "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

I honestly havent done the swap but that is one thing I noticed when I got my stuff (look at the thread below this one.). I would think that the autos would be better braking, I wasnt sure thats why I asked that in my thread. someone will hopefully answer our question...
          91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
          88 gtx
          74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_tyme_psi
            Originally posted by niklid05
            So my setup of a manual I would be better to replace the rotors with the autos?? Sorry not trying hijack.
            You need to stay with whatever set up you have or you will have problems with the calipers fitting the rotors.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

The calipers and rotors need to match. If you have auto calipers then you need the thicker auto rotors.

The calipers are 2 pieces and the bracket that holds on the pads is what is different between the auto and manual setups. You can use manual or auto calipers just use the correct bolt on bracket. There are 2 bolts that hold the caliper together, I think they are 17mm hex.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
                The calipers and rotors need to match. If you have auto calipers then you need the thicker auto rotors.

The calipers are 2 pieces and the bracket that holds on the pads is what is different between the auto and manual setups. You can use manual or auto calipers just use the correct bolt on bracket. There are 2 bolts that hold the caliper together, I think they are 17mm hex.
                Call me stupid but....what you are saying is that the length of the bolts are different but the calipers are the same? So if I got the auto bolts I could use the manual caliper? Sorry for such an ignorant question. That is what you are saying, sounds like to me.

I believe you are right about the caliper bolts being 17mm. The caliper to spindle bolts are 14mm.
                91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                88 gtx
                74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

no the cailper themselves are a different size.
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Here's a pic of what I was trying to explain. See how the caliper comes apart. The part with the piston in it is the same for botht the auto and manual cars. The bracket on the left is what is different. The bracket for the auto cars needs to be longer to accomdate the thicker rotor.

Some parts stores ask you if its for a manual or auto car some don't. That's because some are only selling you the part on the right.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

intresting thanks for the info matt

Comment

Someone needs to make a shim and longer bolts I may try this,I have 2 new auto rotors in the shop.
                        "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

Thanks Matt! Interesting.

FWIW, I've bought at least 2.5 sets of calipers with core trade, and I've always gotten the whole shebang. Not until Matt put up that pic and explanation did I know Aspire calipers were "two piece."

One or two piece? Calipers aren't as easy as women's swimsuits... :lol:

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I may have the right ones. I am going to measure today as I still have the capri calipers on and they look a little bigger.

RIP DJ

Comment

Working...
                            X