brake swap, capri/aspire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake swap, capri/aspire?

What is the difference between either of these swaps? Is there any reason to do one over the other? Do they use the same wheels?

Sofar from searches I've found that the capri brakes are larger but don't bolt up as easily, is this right?

Also, how much heavier are the aspire/capri parts than stock festy?
    OX SMASH!!

I have no experience with the capri brakes. From what I've seen the capri rotors bolt on like the festivas which is terrible way to attach them. So I would lean towards the aspire. There are a few posts on the capri brakes.

Don't worry about the weight. I'm sure the aspire brakes are heavier than the festivas but the stopping difference is well worth it.

They aspire and capri will fit the same wheels.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Well, with how little the rear brakes do I am wanting to keep them as light as possible.

I just thought of another question, some aspires have ABS right? what would it take to get that working on a festy?
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

REAR BRAKES

use aspire unit (with the beam) improve braking and suspension.

Comment

The advantages of the Aspire brake and suspension swap outweigh any weight penalties, unless you are modding your Festiva for airworthiness.

When I do my next suspension swap, I hope to document the weight differences between all the different parts. I'm just curious.

My guess is that the rear Aspire beam swap creates a greater weight disparity than does the (manual rotor) front swap.

Improved braking, increased rear roll stiffness, and having a nicely functioning parking brake are very much worth the work! (Plus the greater ease in doing your front brakes.)

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

airworthiness huh, that sounds like a good idea. There are some nice railroad tracks near here that are perfect for jumping.

I was thinking I want to make my car able to do stoppies. My friend who was tailing me said it looked like I was close.
            I think when I do the swap I'll take it for a drive before I do the back.

If I manage, I'll get pics.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

hmmm if you can pull off a stoppie make sure your friend is taping it, the first might just be the last lol
              Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
              1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
              1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
              2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

well, from what he said the rear susp was at full travel, with a stiffer front I am hoping for like 1-6" of lift on the rear wheels. It would take a lot to get the nose to touch down since as the engine drops the CG moves back and down. All it would take is me lifting the brakes and the car would drop back, might be a hard landing, but with no weight back there it should take it. I hope...
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                X