No announcement yet.

My KLZE Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still looking for a specification sheet, but what I'm finding is that the best setup for a strong, reliable KL motor is to use:

DE Block and internals
    ZE complete heads and intake
    DE valve retainers as the ZE tends to drop valves... frequently
    -Caleb
    Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
    So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

iirc most of the difference is in the heads and intakes. You really don't have to worry about breaking axles. The transmissions are the real weak point. The 4wd g series go up around 250hp the 2wd aren't as bad but they don't like alot of torque. Theres alot of threads on clubprotege and fordlaser about strengthening them.
      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

KL-D/ZE Different parts:

Intake
        Heads
        Camshafts
        Domed Pistons (ZE) causing higher compression
        JDM ZE has no EGR system
        Non integrated coil on the distributor (ZE)
        ZE is OBDI
        -Caleb
        So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
          iirc most of the difference is in the heads and intakes. You really don't have to worry about breaking axles. The transmissions are the real weak point. The 4wd g series go up around 250hp the 2wd aren't as bad but they don't like alot of torque. Theres alot of threads on clubprotege and fordlaser about strengthening them.
          thanks for that tidbit, i'll be sure to check out clubprotege/fordlaser for that info
          -Caleb

Comment

Well i hit a bit of a road block today, i was going to re-assemble the probe tranny with the 323 diff and when i set the diff in place and re-installed the gear shafts, i checked the play between the ring gear and the gear shaft and it feels like too much play, so next i will tear down the spider gears and see how well they interchange

As a last resort i'll probably just swap the ring gears, but that looks like it could be a challenge all in itself

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

youll probly need to take it to a machine shop and have it drilled off
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

So, am I right in guessing that the implications if this doesn't work are that one would have to adapt the Probe parts or get custom axles? If one can shorten axles, what is to stop one from making half and half axles? (Half Probe, half 323)
                -Caleb

Comment

I got a present for you Damkid:

Click for awesome.
                  -Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                    youll probly need to take it to a machine shop and have it drilled off
                    Thats what i'm thinking too, which is why its the last resort

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

subscribing....
                      93 festiva aka "the sexy"
                      04 blown GT stang
                      99 wrangler (in the middle of a 5.2 swap)

Comment

I'm going to be bringing both the diffs into my work tomorrow to get the diff pins out and make the attempt to swap the spider gears, i messed with them just a little bit today, without pulling the diff pin i can pull two spider gears out (the ones the axles go into) and the teeth are even different between the 323 and probe gears, they just have a different slope to them

Another thing that looks like it will be different is the diff pin thickness, which i can see will be another road block to swapping the spider gears, since the thicker diff pin from the probe tranny probably won't fit in the 323 spider gears. If thats the way it ends up i'll just take the 323 gears and have them machined out to fit the probe diff pin

The one thing i'm really learning with this project is all the parts look identical until you try to mix-match them, then you see the differences
                        Last edited by Damkid; 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

<--- I suscribe!!

When i do the swap I plan on using the k8 trans and making some hybrid axles.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

hybrid axles would definately make the swap easier but it hasn't been that difficult so far

On a side note, where i got the probe tranny there is 2, KL-DE engines, so once i get the probe transmission ready to accept the 323 axles i'll be looking to bring one of the KL's home with me :evil4:
                            Last edited by Damkid; 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Have you looked into the dimensions of the engine compartment vs the KL's size? What're your thoughts on massaging it into the bay?
                              -Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by pr0nst4r View Post
                                Have you looked into the dimensions of the engine compartment vs the KL's size? What're your thoughts on massaging it into the bay?
                                My thoughts are...... have a grinder with cutting disks, welder, and some sheet metal handy before you start, i'm sure that engine will not fit without modifying the firewall

Comment

Working...
                                X