No announcement yet.

My KLZE Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• send it down to fl we have no emmision laws you can run downpipe only not worry about cat hitting rack ahah
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

• In California you CAN swap the v6 if you take every single piece off the v6 donor car, and have it inspected and documented. We're talking evap, all vacuum lines, CORRECT ECU full harness etc. A proper clean install in other words, one we would respect anyway. The car also has to pass as the v6 car, which is newer than a festiva. If its a JDM engine you have to go locate the usdm parts like egr and the usdm intake manifold. Lots of hoops to jump thru but on club protege I'm following a hero up in northen cali who's either done 2 of them, or made one sold it and is helping another guy. Its been a while since i went poking on their site.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• Originally posted by FFesti_90 View Post
        In reference to what everyone told me when I mention FWD 5-cyl......your tires are gonna spin a lot (truth or not idk, but apparently that's what's gonna happen)
        Isn't that the point :lol: seriously though, it shouldn't be too terrible but if traction is too much of an issue than i'll look into some stickier tires

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
        you may resume posting
        Thanks dad :lol:

Originally posted by Gforcefd View Post
        So are those pictures with the transmission in place as well... Very sweet indeed! You know how many KLZE festiva's are going to start showing up here soon?

Chris, if you decide to go with the stock BP bellhousing for some reason I have just sourced a place to get a diagram of the adapter plate needed to bolt a KLZE to miata bellhouse which is the same as the G trans. Let me know and I will pass you the info.

Very awsome indeed. You will have one nasty autoX'er if you put a LSD in there too.

Oh and for FM4 we will have to car pool down together when the time comes, I am planning far in advance for it as well. The only thing possible problem is the wife and I are starting college again and that may make our weekend shorter than planned.
        No need for the BP bell housing since i swapped the diffs to make the probe tranny work, plus i don't think i could spare the room of the thickness of an adapter plate but thanks anyway

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
        That's crazy close! Have you considered a fuel cell? I imagine that the V6 with that tank would be like a true V8 in a Bronco: Race to the next fuel stop! Are you going for sleeper? Just wondering 'cause a set of these would look pretty cool on the grille and beside the Festiva emblem on the back! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980S...item53ddf0c029
        I like the idea of keeping the stock fuel tank plus it shouldn't be too bad for fill ups and the V6 badges are definately something i will get once its complete, thanks for the link

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
        The mx-3 with the v6 got over 30 mpg, so a festiva with the KLZE should get around 30-35 mpg as long as it is driven conservatively. Knowing this won't happen, i would expect a fuel economy of 25-30 mpg.
        Your right on that one :evil4: i have a heavy right foot

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
        In MD, a boosted BP would squeak past emissions testing, because it's a 4 cyl, like the original engine. Having a v6 in a car originally equipped with a 4cyl is instant failure.

However, awesome work!!! Can't wait to see it finished!
        And the joys of living in Ontario, when it comes to emissions, if a car has any engine that was never available from factory it gets put in a "hot rod" class and that limits are raised, so B6, B6T, BP, KL-ZE, they just put it in a hot rod class and run the test

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• i guess i came back to the forum at the right time. this is interesting.

Comment

• Your mock up motor has the obd2 exhaust manifolds. Sourcing a set of obd1 manifolds would save you a lot of room. They don't have that big flex pipe in them. And you might look into the v6 mx3 intake manifold. The neck curves towards the front of the car and makes intakes in tight spots much easier. The mx3 flywheel is also 5lbs lighter.

Comment

• This has probably been the most exciting thread that I have seen on this website since I have been here. Dam, i hope you get everything hooked up soon man.
              "Festiva of the decade" hahaha

Comment

• :lol: thanks collegeboi!

Originally posted by nixapgt View Post
                Your mock up motor has the obd2 exhaust manifolds. Sourcing a set of obd1 manifolds would save you a lot of room. They don't have that big flex pipe in them. And you might look into the v6 mx3 intake manifold. The neck curves towards the front of the car and makes intakes in tight spots much easier. The mx3 flywheel is also 5lbs lighter.
                I actually have the same thread going on clubprotege and i've been getting the same kind of advice, but its always good to hear

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                  thanks for the link
                  No problem! Pics pics pics! Maybe FOTM?
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

• Well i did a little bit today, i cut the rad support off so i can make some clearance to get everything sitting straight, i need to get some steel from work now to re-attach the rad support and to start making the front tranny mount

This is where it needed clearance

I didn't cut too much out yet until the front trans mount is made and i can determine how much needs to be cut out

Comment

• sweet.... couldnt you just make the front mount a bit taller and push the motor back a bit? or make the rear one smaller?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

• The rear mount has the tranny about 1/4 inch away from the steering rack and there's not much room to tilt the engine back, but once i straightened out the engine it made a bit more room at the back

Comment

• Chris, I was talking with Jim (FB71) about this build and he wanted me to tell you to wrap both the rear exhaust manifold and the steering rack in heat tape. This is so you don't melt the plastic bushings in the rack itself from all the heat.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing :lol: i'll probably get a set of headers to help with the clearance and to help keep the heat away from the rack
                            Last edited by Damkid; 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Get it all running and look into a rear turbo like Eurotiva has!! That would be awesome!!!!
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

• Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                                Get it all running and look into a rear turbo like Eurotiva has!! That would be awesome!!!!
                                Thats actually what i was thinking too, since theres no room in the engine bay for a turbo :lol: and with the history of the car it'd be nice to keep it turbo'd

Comment

Working...
                                X