Tom's B6 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sketchman View Post
    Yes they will. I prefer them too the hydraulic ones.
    Ok great. Now I just have to find some.

Comment

• Originally posted by gergorian View Post
      Ok great. Now I just have to find some.
      Or just install new lash adjusters. About the same amount of work either way, and they are readily available.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        Or just install new lash adjusters. About the same amount of work either way, and they are readily available.
        I'm a big fan of HLA's, ( a whole nuther discussion) Rockauto has a number of brands available at good prices.
        No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          I'm a big fan of HLA's, ( a whole nuther discussion) Rockauto has a number of brands available at good prices.
          I think new hla's for my aspire totaled $53 for the whole set.
          I like how cheap they are. Why not replace them ya know?
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• I have installed new ones. It made it better but I think it's partly the cam I have.

Comment

• Are you running the correct oil? what are your hot oil pressures? (hot=45 min, run time). Should be not less than 15psi idle and not less than 47 psi at 3500 rpm (worn out engine). Would like to see 20psi idle and 62psi at 3500 rpm.
              No car too fast !

Comment

• That's seems high at idle. I only see about 12 psi at 800 rpms. A good rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpms. If I was having ticking issues I would add some oil stabilizer (Lucas)
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

• Oh crap, we're thread hijacking, 12psi/800 is a little edgy, and how about 10psi + 10psi/1000rpm up to set pressure?
                  Tom, any specs on that cam??? inquiring minds are dying to know!
                  No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                    Oh crap, we're thread hijacking, 12psi/800 is a little edgy, and how about 10psi + 10psi/1000rpm up to set pressure?
                    Tom, any specs on that cam??? inquiring minds are dying to know!
                    Yeah, sorry about the thread jacking Tom My oil pressure is fine. ~18-20 psi hot idle and at least 60 above 2500 RPM.

Comment

• Ohmygod, they thread hijacked!

You bastards!......

Checking on cam specs tmw, but he may not want to say. Understandably, IMO.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Besides installing the head, I'm gonna replace all the hoses plus the WP and timing belt, and an oil change. The WP is leaking out the hole on top, so this is all timely. I've had it and the hoses/timing belt on there since the B6 swap was done in Feb. 2010. I'll probably do it over two half-days, even tho this is a half-day job or less, for some people. I like to poke around and look at stuff while I'm working.

This still won't be complete tho until I get the modded original Matthew header back from Matt, and install it with the rest of the Matthew 2.5" exhaust. It has a resonator, and a nice muffler that Greg put on it awhile back when I drove Matthew down to FL. Very nice sound. For now, just to be able to drive it around, I'll put the B6 manifold back on. It's attached to a narrow straight pipe, and a stock Festy B-pipe and muffler.

I don't think the clutch will be adequate to doing a dyno run, so that will have to wait until it's replaced. It will spin the clutch in 3rd, 4th and 5th, I'm sure. That's what this motor did when the car was turboed.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 08-30-2015, 06:42 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• To answer the question I had in this thread on setting the manual valve lash adjusters cold, Matt said to go with .010" intake and .011" exhaust when setting cold. He says the stock lash adjustment is the same for the 1.3 and 1.6, i.e. .012" hot for both intake and exhaust.

As for the cam specs, that should have been in the box along with the invoice, but didn't get sent. He is sending them to me today or tmw. He has no objection to me sharing this info on here.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Just got another call from Matt. Since I didn't get the instructions with the head, he wanted to make sure I had the needed info before slapping the head on. I have to relieve the intake-valve pockets by 1mm on the piston, to accommodate the larger valve. Using my trusty Dremel. Should be exciting! He mentioned masking off the top of the block and also the piston/cylinder wall gap. Gonna go look for a barrel-shaped diamond bit.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 08-31-2015, 04:14 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Just got my header (the original one from Matthew) back from Matt D. Pics to follow. He drilled it for the gen2 B6 head and fixed a couple of small rusted-through holes that cropped up when he media-blasted it. It's going from silver to flat black, just for the superior badassness of flat black.

Also got the data sheet for the head build:
                              B3/B6 SOHC HYD/MECH 270 DAE STAGE 3 CUSTOM PROFILE

.......................................INTAKE..... .......EXHAUST
                              RAR................................... 1.75............. 1.75
                              LASH.............................. .011 HOT....... .011 HOT
                              CENTER LINE...............109 DEG..........109 DEG
                              DURATION @ .050.......222.0 DEG........221.0 DEG
                              LOBE LIFT........................ .285.............. .285
                              VALVE LIFT....................... .499.............. .499
                              OPENING.........................5.0 DEG.........44.5 DEG
                              CLOSING.......................37.0 DEG..........-3.5 DEG
                              LOBE SEPARATION.................109.0 DEG
                              ADVANCE.....................................0.0 DEG
                              OVERLAP...................................62.0 DEG
                              Last edited by TominMO; 09-05-2015, 01:27 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Anxiously waiting for a dyno pull, and a ride at Madness.
                                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-05-2015, 06:13 PM.
                                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X