No announcement yet.

Aaron's Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a quick start before and after on the intake manifold. There's a fair bit of work to be done on these manifolds, and even ported, they're inferior to the JDM ones and the side-throttle Miata and MX-3 ones. Unfortunately, at least for now, this is all I have to work with. So I'll make the most of it and then sell it off if I come across something better in the near future. Don't let my crappy camera deceive you... I've done no polishing as it isn't optimal on an intake manifold. Work was entirely done with long shank carbide burrs and my die grinder. Man porting aluminum is a heck of a lot more fun/speedy than cast steel, that's for sure.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

• [QUOTE=nitrofarm;574537]
      Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      So Aaron I'm inexperienced with "stand alone" fuel Inj. but really interested and eager in learning. What is Winlog,is it windows based and similar to Mega Squirt & Haltech? And what is an LSU? And I'm assuming the wide band data logger is just that. It logs your A/F ratio for future reference? Thanks-Thomas
      ps and Festyfreak mentioned turning up boost.Is that accomplished with the BOV spring?
      This isn't a stand alone fuel management system. Looks can be deceiving I suppose. Winlog is just a little program where you can create and manipulate little gauges and dials and such. It's a display program that goes from my power unit (which datalogs and monitors different sensors - that's it) to a computer unit. It is windows-based and nothing like MS or Haltech unfortunately. It's merely monitoring and piece of mind. Think of it like a dozen gauges packed into a little box, because that's exactly what it is. Moz has the correct answer on the manual boost controller manipulating boost.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aaronbrook37;574790]
        Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post

This isn't a stand alone fuel management system. Looks can be deceiving I suppose. Winlog is just a little program where you can create and manipulate little gauges and dials and such. It's a display program that goes from my power unit (which datalogs and monitors different sensors - that's it) to a computer unit. It is windows-based and nothing like MS or Haltech unfortunately. It's merely monitoring and piece of mind. Think of it like a dozen gauges packed into a little box, because that's exactly what it is. Moz has the correct answer on the manual boost controller manipulating boost.
        Ok cool guys thx for the input. So now if you monitor your A/F ratio and determine its lean,will you increase fuel pressure? Are there Adj FP regulators that can add more fuel as boost increase's? Oh and I've been confusing BOV's and Waste Gates. Two separate devices.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Re: Aaron's Festiva Build Thread

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
          Here's a quick start before and after on the intake manifold. There's a fair bit of work to be done on these manifolds, and even ported, they're inferior to the JDM ones and the side-throttle Miata and MX-3 ones. Unfortunately, at least for now, this is all I have to work with. So I'll make the most of it and then sell it off if I come across something better in the near future. Don't let my crappy camera deceive you... I've done no polishing as it isn't optimal on an intake manifold. Work was entirely done with long shank carbide burrs and my die grinder. Man porting aluminum is a heck of a lot more fun/speedy than cast steel, that's for sure.
          Will the mx3 intake bolt right up to the b6t? I saw one on a ford laser at the local wreckers.
          1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

• Originally posted by moz View Post
            Will the mx3 intake bolt right up to the b6t? I saw one on a ford laser at the local wreckers.
            Supposedly the MX-3 head and intake can't be interchanged individually. Together, they can be... but because the injector bosses are on the head rather than the intake manifold as per the B6T, you need both else you'll either have 2 or 0 sets of injector bosses. There also seem to be issues with the alignment of side-mount throttle bodies and the strut towers... which is probably the reason they ran top-mount throttle bodies in the first place truth be told.

Comment

• Stage one complete on the intake runners. I still need to get my grinding stones and sanding rolls on there to smooth things out a little bit, but the carbide cutting is complete for the first 4-5" of the manifold. No gasket matching or port enlarging done yet because I'm not sure whether I'm going to port and polish a head yet, so I may leave the ports stock size. I used a big flap wheel to get the flange cleaned up and shiny. I'm not going to polish the intake obviously because everything legitimate and with credibility that I'm reading says not to and it makes a lot of sense to me as well.
              Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                Stage one complete on the intake runners. I still need to get my grinding stones and sanding rolls on there to smooth things out a little bit, but the carbide cutting is complete for the first 4-5" of the manifold. No gasket matching or port enlarging done yet because I'm not sure whether I'm going to port and polish a head yet, so I may leave the ports stock size. I used a big flap wheel to get the flange cleaned up and shiny. I'm not going to polish the intake obviously because everything legitimate and with credibility that I'm reading says not to and it makes a lot of sense to me as well.
                What type of stones did you use to grind out stage 1?
                I've got some stones but I think they're for finishing.
                I tried porting the head on an fe3 I've got laying around. Stones crumbled like corn flakes after 2 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by moz View Post
                  What type of stones did you use to grind out stage 1?
                  I've got some stones but I think they're for finishing.
                  I tried porting the head on an fe3 I've got laying around. Stones crumbled like corn flakes after 2 minutes.
                  I used something very similar to this Ebay Australia link in case you wanted to order one for yourself! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SC-5L6-Ex...ht_1078wt_1200

Comment

Fantastic!!! Thanks

Comment

• Aaron's car - fresh engine bay wash. Now with 100% more blow-off valve. Setup is a stock Mitsubishi Eclipse diverter valve, an Audi radiator hose, and Home Depot Racing clamps.

Comment

• That looks great bro!!! banana time
                        1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                        2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

• I've heard the Home Depot Racing Clamps are good for like 5+ horsepower.
                          ~Austin
                          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                            I'm not sure whether I'm going to port and polish a head yet, so I may leave the ports stock size. I used a big flap wheel to get the flange cleaned up and shiny. I'm not going to polish the intake obviously because everything legitimate and with credibility that I'm reading says not to and it makes a lot of sense to me as well.
                            You can port but you're better off not to polish the intake, as the fuel particles run thru the roughness helps break em up. A great thing to do is put a nice smooth swirl thru it like a rifle barrel, but good luck acheiving that.
                            Last edited by bp71monte; 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Not much to report as of late... I haven't really been putting up pictures because it has mostly been maintenance: steam-cleaning the interior repeatedly, doing touch-ups on my bumper and side-molding paint, and trying my best to keep her alive mechanically despite the nasty gremlins my motor seems to be having. I've done some wet-sanding too, and repainted my hood recently to remove all the rock chips and rust bubbles. Recently, I've been up to 28-29MPG which is a huge improvement over where I started on this motor (20-21). Perhaps my piston rings are finally cooperating... might be worth doing a compression test to see where things are at. Keep in mind this is 100% city and somewhat spirited driving although off-boost since my VJ11 turbo doesn't spool until just past 3000RPM.

Recently, my axles and throw-out bearing have gotten noisier and noisier... and things finally came to a screeching halt at the local convenience store parking lot. The clutch pedal went to mush, the gear shifter was useless with the car on, and the noise and smell was overwhelming. I have brand new axles and a throw-out bearing going in on Friday with some help from a local friend here. Just in case there are metal shavings in the transmission from whatever, I'll obviously put in new gear oil too.

In addition, I had Sasquatch Racing polyurethane fill a spare set of motor mounts he had lying around because my clutch shudder and motor movement is overwhelming and quite uncomfortable. Beyond that, I have a few other little trinkets to add to the car: Kia Rio KYB strut mounts for that power steering-like effect, and some extra Moog K9737 sway bar bushings since I mistakenly bought one kit instead of two.

Things are going to continue to be slow on this build in all likelihood as I will be picking up a new project to work on at the end of the month and may be looking to sell the Festiva. Why you ask? The car is relatively overbuilt for my needs... it could handle drag strip action or being autocrossed routinely as a weekend driver... but I just don't have the time to really engage the car the way I want to. Obviously I will hang onto it unless a good offer comes about, as it is my pride and joy... and a ton of fun to tinker with. I'll be starting up a new build thread for the next project shortly.

Comment

• just a thought on the manifold porting/polishing.

The injectors spray stright into the head from the intake manifold.
                                Therefore there is no fuel in the intake runners until they meet the head.
                                Thus negating the thought behind the 'rough' port job to help atomise fuel.

I completely understand and agree with the rough porting for a carbureted setup or anywhere downstream of the introduction of fuel but I feel like upstream of the injectors the smoother the better.

I am not saying you are wrong I am simply stirring the pot to get the creative juices flowing and lean a bit for myself in the process!

-W.F.
                                Last edited by wflaw45; 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM.
                                Automotive Misfit

Comment

Working...
                                X