The 97 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 97 Rebuild

I bought this Aspire for $200 at the last of January been working on it a little bit ever since. Needed alot of work and still needs alot of work. Put around 350 miles on it so far. This is going to be bigger project than I planned. The radio and wheels are probably worth more than the car.

So far I've replaced:
    Spark plugs and wires
    rear wheel bearings/seals
    fuel filter
    Speedo cable
    variable multi-switch
    air filter
    exhaust Cat back /new muffler / exhaust manifold / downpipe

It didn't run when I got it. A new manifold and downpipe and it ran sort of. The engine was in really bad shape. The IAC is tripping a CEL it's going to be replaced hopefully tomorrow. According to paperwork in the glove box the CEL has been on from the IAC for a long time. Did 3 Seafoam treatments and it's running pretty good but still hesitates some. Doesn't burn or leak any oil after a new valve cover gasket. The engine is probably the cleanest thing about this car.

Also did a full trans flush and did several siphons and refills on the power steering. Shifts a bit hard in first hoping that'll clear up in time. May put some Lubeguard in it eventually.The speedo cable was busted also. I put a Festiva's in there temporarily but I have a Aspire's that I haven't put in yet. It reads 121k but probably has closer to 130k. Also have to mention the waterpump is leaking now and the charge light stays on occasion. I have a new timing belt kit and another alternator waiting so just need to pick up a waterpump. I'm going to try adding a few grounds to see if it helps any.

I pulled the interior out and scrubbed the seats. Still need to do it again and the carpet. I'll put a post up on that later.
    Last edited by ericsmith32; 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

This is what I got around to today and what I wasn't expecting. It must of been hit in the rear at one point. The bumper was barely held on by the bolt welded in.

The interior damage:

Cleaned it up a bit.. used a wire wheel on the drill

Passenger side not as bad...

Applied some rustoleum to both sides...

Where the bumper attaches it's pretty much screwed. The bumper support is just way to rotten to save. Not sure if any in the junkyards would be any better. I did cut off the trailer hitch if anybody wants it. Not sure how the new bumper support will attach or how sturdy it'll be. Also have to figure out how to plug all the holes.

Also started loosening the bolts on the rear suspension it's bent as well. Hopefully I can get another one tomorrow and start applying rustoleum.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Ran out of things to do on the rear so started tweaking the front a little bit. Here's why it's messed up. Not sure if or even how I'm going to address it. Ought to take a picture of the radiator it's amazing it's not leaking.

Here's what I ended up with.

There's a big gap between the hood and head lights not sure if it's because of a pre-97 hood or not. I'm going to replace the front bumper eventually. None in junkyard's around here now. There was a abundance a few months ago go figure.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

yeah you have a 94-96 hood and grill/bumper on a 97 hence the gaps. the shifting is normal from 1st to 2nd, they're just harsh, ask FB71.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That's good to know.. one more thing to buy. Does anyone know if the rear bumpers are the same through-out the years 2 and 4 doors?
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I got a parts car that you need. cheep! I'll post a pic tomorrow
            (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
              I got a parts car that you need. cheep! I'll post a pic tomorrow
              Yeah shoot.. defiantly interested in a parts car. I had one good one but like a idiot I gave it to someone. Had a good motor and all.. live and learn.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

It's been picked over, but the bodys nice, the car only had 67000. I haven't had anyone interested in it. I was just thinking this week of scraping it.

Interiors trashed
                Engine gone (festy got it)
                trans gone (5 speed)
                Stering column gone
                Suspension gone (festy got it)
                One of the small triangle windows broken

The rest is there, and in what looks like alot better than your working with.

It's a 95, 4 door, looks just like yours except a purplish color

Comment

Lubeguard might be a good thing for the transmission. DSM guys swear by it.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for posting pics.. truthfully without a suspension I have no way of hauling it. Especially all the way back to KC. I found a 97 today in the junkyard with the correct bumpers so I'm going to use those.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

As mention above I found a almost perfect 97 in the junkyard today. In all I pulled both bumpers, a axle out of a another Aspire (the 97 was way to rusty), another IAC and windshield washer bottle. Overall spent $240.. the wife is going to kill me but truthfully don't need alot more. Just the hood and passenger fender (maybe).

The Festiva is a little full..

Back:

Front:
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Hello Eric, is that a Aspire rear beam i see, maybe a swap in the near future.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Nope just replacing the axle in the Aspire. The one that's on there is bent.
                            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Go Eric! Soon to be on the road! Ha! Ha!
                              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                              X