The 97 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drddan View Post
    Go Eric! Soon to be on the road! Ha! Ha!
    Yep and better than new! Here's what I got to this afternoon. Put the other windshield washer bottle in and got it to work. Had to clean out and then repoint the washer nozzle. I must of put that in the back of my brain that those could be repointed.. did the same with the Festiva's. Also put the IAC on and now it runs like a top. Idles up a bit at startup then idles down where it didn't before.

Put some Rustoleum regular on the insides of the bumpers and used the Hammer line on the axle. That Hammer stuff sure looks good. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Got a little Valspar purple paint to see how it looks compared to the stock paint. Not going to happen.. while I'm not scared of my femine side that's a little too purple.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Now probably won't be able to do anything till Saturday. I have to work Fri/Sat/Sun but I might get off early on Saturday. If the rain holds out I might get to putting the rear bumper on. I still need to wire brush and apply some of that Hammer stuff to a few rust areas. Hoping to do that to most of the underneath. Not sure how much it'll help over time. I undid the rear struts so it's underivable till the new axle gets put in. But it'll be a couple days in between taking the old one out and new one in. BTW when working with the axle go to Harbor Freight and get their 25" breaker bar.. it's a god send loosening those bolts!!!
      Last edited by ericsmith32; 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Got alot done today.. I think sure doesn't feel like it. Got the old axle out and the new in. Still have to hook up the brakes and pull the hubs with the new bearings off the other. Sure hope I got everything together right sure wasn't fun.

While the undercoating was drying started putting the rear bumper on. That wasn't fun either. As you can see it's still not lined up right. The passenger side was the good side and funny it's the one out of line. Guess I'll loosen up the bolts and put a jack under it. Probably ought to work on the tail light first though. I may have to get a gas tank looks like it has a pinhole.. how depressing.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I hate to say this is one car that probably should of been used for parts. It runs and drives so good though. I was hoping this would be a good family ride.. not sure how much I trust it with how the bumpers are held on. Guess it's still safer than the Festiva in some ways.

Adjusted the tail-light.. it was held on by silicone!

The front end damage.. I did pull the cross member out a bit. Managed to pull a post out of the ground in the process.

Tested fitted the bumper... It's only held on by one bolt on the passenger side. Not sure how to remedy that yet.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Rain day not much done! Did get one 155/80 mounted for the front need to take the other and get it put one. 175/80's in the back not sure how it'll handle. Besides that also got high.. well sort of. 2 layers of rustoleum regular and 2 layers of the hammer version. Did both the Aspires and Festivas.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I admire your work! And your work ethic! Too bad about the rotting rear end.

At this point you're way too far to make it a parts car though.

Is the "Hammer" stuff undercoating or paint, or some kind of hybrid? Does it always go on so "goopy" looking?

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                I admire your work! And your work ethic! Too bad about the rotting rear end.

At this point you're way too far to make it a parts car though.

Is the "Hammer" stuff undercoating or paint, or some kind of hybrid? Does it always go on so "goopy" looking?

Karl
                Thanks! Your right might as well keep going it might be a gem afterwards :lol:.

To answer your question it's paint meant for rough rusty imperfect surfaces and yes it always goes on like that. Personally I love the look and will be painting the Festiva's wheels in the next couple months.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Heck, maybe I'll get hammered some day!

Thanks,

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Got the front bumper and everything mounted. Still need to get the hood as you can see. Probably could use a passenger turn signal light and passenger fender but probably won't. Went ahead and just used the alloy wheels. I can't believe how light those things are. I put 155/80's in the place of the bad ones and put them up front, really like that look. The 175/80's are on the back causes quite a rake. Still need to do some sealing. Got some EPDM tape to fix the leaking tail-lights on both cars. Not sure on the coolant leak it hasn't lost any even though it leaks on occasion. Heater works fine and it doesn't overheat or smoke I guess I'll figure it out someday.

The Festiva and Aspire's wiper arms.. the Festiva's doesn't look good. Must be something with the stainless steel arms I used.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Okay now I have to figure out how to fix these holes water is pouring in. Any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of tar. Wish I had a welder I would of welded something over it.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

^ I would try some auto seam sealer. You can get it at most auto parts stores and it's not to expensive.
                        '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                          ^ I would try some auto seam sealer. You can get it at most auto parts stores and it's not to expensive.
                          I looked at the seam sealer wasn't to sure about it. Price wise I think it was more expensive than the polyurethane caulk I ended up with. I got it at Lowe's for $5ish says it's for roof's (any kind). I put a little on the Festiva last year and it's held up real good, no shrinkage and sorta flexible. I also put some of the leftover EPDM rubber gasket between the tail-light and body. Water's supposed to run behind the tail-light and to the ground.. not sure how it'll effect things with water running over the tail-light. We'll see what she does this weekend.. supposed to rain for 4 days!
                          Last edited by ericsmith32; 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM.
                          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I think I found a dyno clip of your aspire!

-Josh R

Comment

Originally posted by 91blufestiva View Post
                              I think I found a dyno clip of your aspire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzbriOQUeA&NR=1
                              Surprising.. same wheels but not the same car. If you look at the front, turn signals- headlights definitely a pre 97. Almost the same color also. Pretty sure mine isn't putting down that much.
                              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Well isn't this the *&^% I believe the Aspire's engine might be locked up. What's strange it ran absolutely perfect yesterday all 4 times I drove but when I go to start it to go home nothing. You turn the key you can hear the starter engaging and I even loosened it to make sure it isn't jammed. Tried jumpstarting it just in case but no go. I've tried numerous methods to turn the crank by the front with no avail yet. I still haven't considered it completely dead yet though. I need to pull off the starter and make sure it isn't toast and the accessory belts and if still nothing the timing cover. I'd have to drop the engine to get to the crank bolt. I swear both of my cars are acting like children.. the Festiva has no oil usage now after the valve stem seals but the thermostat went belly up- needs a new muffler and the tires balanced again.. and well the Aspire has apparently won all of my attention by doing this. I'm mildly amused. I guess if all fails everything will go to the Festiva.. man I'd hate to do that.
                                Last edited by ericsmith32; 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM.
                                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                                X