No announcement yet.

"Silver Bullet" Restore/Update/Repair/Upgrade thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't posted an update on the build thread for a long time, so I figured I'd fill everyone in on what's been going on. Body wise I've been slacking, as usual. I'll post the pics of the quarter when I'm at a computer and feel like it. I tacked it in and glassed the seam and haven't really done anything else. The past few months have been just driving and routine work until recently. The B6 has seen 20000 miles of trouble-free operation. We bought an 89 and the next bout of serious work began. The bullet became a donor for brake parts on the new car and aspire swap work began. The bullet spent about a month on blocks as I sourced parts for the swap. I picked up most everything in a trip to Louisville pullapart. Got the aspire rear beam without drums or hardware, aspire master cylinder, and Rio strut/knuckle assemblies with brakes.

Later on at Indy pickapart I picked up spare rotors, sway bar, rear drums with bearings and adjusters. The spindle nut for the passenger side was borked, as usual. I managed to snag that at take a part in fort wayne a couple weeks later when looking for a spare Carb for the new car. My eBay spindle nuts never showed.

The rear axle got the threaded rod treatment and bolted right on. For the record the 4 door aspire park brake cable is the same. I only had to carry over the bracket that holds it to the gas tank. The Rio parts bolted right up as well.

Unfortunately the aspire sway bar didn't go so easy. I installed it right side up. I hit a snag when one of the front crossmember bolts froze and the nut busted the weld in the core support, ugh. I wound up cutting the bolt and drilling through the top of the core support to pull the rest out. I picked up extra bolts courtesy of gauge_half_inch and picked up nuts at fastenal. I'll be welding it later.

Anyway, I sanded down energy suspension bushings for the body mount and tapped out the brackets for grease fittings. I got it all back together with fresh brakes and popped a brake line. One Hudson Special line (that's me making one) later and it was road ready. I slapped on the junk wheels and tires and eyeballed the toe for a test run. I had a dust cover hitting a rotor and wobbles from off alignment and bad tires. A few days later I moved my new tires on to aspire steelies and reset the toe with some help from my dad. It was off right with zero toe, talk about close!

So after a real go at it I'm happy. I didn't cut any of the springs and I actually kind of like how it sits. It corners like it's glued to the road and stops at half pedal like it did with full pressure at stock. Unfortunately I will be breaking down the front hubs for bearings very soon. Too much groan on the right and the left side bearings are clicking between 25 and 40 MPH when maintaining speed. Always sumthin!

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
    95 Grand Prix SE DD
    Wife's Stuff:
    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Got the bearings replaced some time ago. More issues abound. Looks like I'll be doing a tranny swap soon. Input shaft bearings are making a terrible racket while coasting in gear with my foot on the clutch and sitting in neutral with the clutch let out. Good news is that there's an old 323 at pick a part. Bad news is I'm broke. Hope it holds out a while longer...

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
      91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
      92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
      95 Grand Prix SE DD
      Wife's Stuff:
      89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
      97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
      Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Working...