No announcement yet.

Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay actually has the correct thread fitting and if turned correctly it will hold the gauge sensor . I bought a few ten of them when I found em . Number.
    New build on the way .

Comment

• The fitting for the oil send in the block is BPT, for British pipe thread. Autometer sells an adaptor that goes into it and converts it to 1/8 NPT, or standard (north american) pipe thread. From that you can get an adaptor to compression fitting threads, AN style, for which you can get many kinds of hoses and fittings.

Ian you must already have the Autometer adaptor, unless you just tried to force an NPT fitting into the block, which is prone to leaking. So you just need the 1/8 NPT to AN fitting for $5 from Mopac to then attach a conventional braided steel cable oil transfer hose off to a manifold somewhere. (See pic below) The male BPT thread on the send seems to go into a female NPT and seal, whereas the male NPT does not go into a female BPT very well at all. (What that says about sex between Brits and Americans is for another forum)

You could use the port Advance describes on the pump, but it is in behind the alternator, and once that is in place it is really hard to get at. The advantage would be you could leave the original send where it belongs, and just tap your other manifold pieces off of that port.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
        Finished product.

Well it's back to the drawing board. There ends up being no room between the A/C compressor and the collector or whatever it's called coming off the turbo. I have a couple of ideas that might work one of which would still use the modified crossover. Keep watching this space!
        Last edited by fastivaca; 02-08-2016, 09:59 PM.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Plan 'B'.

Modify the stock Festiva pipe.

Weld up this hole...

Make new hole here...

Weld on piece cut off end of original part...

The idea here is that it clears the A/C compressor and the the downpipe and allows me to use the modified 323 crossover I made earlier.

Hopefully this works, although I do have a plan 'C'. [emoji2]
          Last edited by fastivaca; 02-09-2016, 09:10 PM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Looking good! It will be ready for Westiva right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Looking good! It will be ready for Westiva right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I plan to have it on the road in a week or so. Will finish up painting etc. once it warms up.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• End cap on and hole reamed out...

Finished product in place...

Welds are a bit messy but I'm still learning. May have to tweak tings a bit yet but I think it should work. Will need a custom rad hose setup.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Plus another teaser with hood loosely in place...

Last edited by fastivaca; 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• It's tight but it works!!!

I'll need a non-standard lower rad hose. Because the A/C idler is spaced away from the block I will probably need a non-standard belt for that as well.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Turns out it was too tight after all... the crossover was fouling up on the downpipe flange. I've modified it further and now it works. I will post photos tomorrow. If all goes well the engine and transmission will be bolted together and installed in the engine bay!!!
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• OK. Here's the photos I promised last night...

As originally modified:

After additional mods:

Net result is 2" added to the lower section and 4.5" taken out of the upper section of the 323GT crossover. This moves the upward bend away from the block heater on the block itself and away from the flange for the downpipe on the manifold and collector. It also clears the waste gate actuator. The bracket and the three original take-off are all in their stock location.

All that I have to now is re-wrap the crossover with the reflective heat shield stuff and I'm all good to go!
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 02-15-2016, 01:33 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Thanks for those details Ian! This is good to know.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Whats the front bumper off of if i may ask .

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Bean View Post
                              Whats the front bumper off of if i may ask .
                              That style of bumper was originally manufactured by ATH in Germany for the Kia Pride. It was remade by Festiva Motor Sports (no longer in business) and sold here in North America. The one I have is the FMS version.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Looks good .

Comment

Working...
                                X