• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking good ian!
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

• GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS

Let's start with the bad...

While replacing the gas tank the other week (see post #114 in this thread) I discovered that there are three spots in the floor of my Festiva that have rusted through. The reason, I believe, that I didn't notice them from inside is that I had installed sound deadener throughout the car prior to our Madness trip in 2011. I decided to have a closer look over the entire car to see what other rust problems I could find. I already new that the rear wheel wells would need extensive repairs and had a couple of options I was considering for repairs as well as above the windshield. Other areas that I discovered were in the driver side front wheel well, the inner cowl panel where the wiper attaches, beginnings of rust around the strut towers and along the front of the hood. The passenger side front fender is done for as well but I already have a replacement for it. Also discovered that the bottom of the rear bumper beam was completed gone, all the little brackets that hold the bumper cover were hanging in mid air. I feel that the rust repairs necessary at this time would take up too much time and resources so we have decided to put a hold on the project and regroup. And by regroup I mean find a replacement Festiva....

We established a "best case scenario" list for that replacement:

1. It had to be rust free
      2. It had to be a 1990 - 93 model
      3. It had to be a standard transmission car
      4. It had to be a Canadian car (no automatic seatbelts, thank you very much!) and preferably an Alberta car.

Now for the good news..

I think we've found our car! It fits all the criteria and it's an Alberta car. Once we've finalized the deal I will post details. The plan is to install the B6T into the "new" car and once it's running strip my current car of all it's goodies and put them on the new one. We hope to have things finalized by May 15th.

In retrospect, the red Festiva has served us well. I purchased it in 2002 with 100,100km (62,200 miles) and it's been daily driven year round ever since. We've put over 400,000km (app. 250,000 miles) on it including a trip to Festiva Madness V in 2011 and another to the west coast and down to the Grand Canyon in 2012.

Will be updating as things come together over the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your interest and encouraging words so far!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• whoa we have our own junk yard wars!! Rock on!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• More goodies arrived today...

Possible big update coming this weekend!
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• PROJECT B6T FESTIVA: REBOOT #2

Project B6T Festiva is back on track! Went up to Edmonton yesterday, May 24, and picked up a '93 Festiva.

I posted a check list of "must haves" in an earlier post so let's see how we did...

1. It had to be rust free: CHECK!
            2. It had to be a 1990 - 93 model: CHECK!, it's a 93.
            3. It had to be a standard transmission car: CHECK!
            4. It had to be a Canadian car (no automatic seatbelts, thank you very much!) and preferably an Alberta car: CHECK!

Here she is as she sits in the garage. It's been sitting outside under a tarp for the past three years or so and still looks pretty good. All we've done so far is pick it up, trailer it home, and roll it into the garage.

Bonuses:

1. It's Aqua!!!
            2. It's already had an engine swap done!
            3. It has a Phantom Grip LSD!
            4. Did I mention that it's rust free?
            5. It has a GL Sport interior in excellent condition that will be going up for sale shortly
            6. Lot's of other goodies too.

We did have a bit of a misadventure on the way home. We were only 10 minutes out of Edmonton when someone passed us frantically waving, yelling and pointing at the trailer. We pulled over to discover one of the four tires on our U-Haul rental trailer had blown and the other one wasn't too far from doing the same. I must say that I was impressed with the road side service we got. From the time we first called U-Haul until we were on the road again with two brand new tires was just over two hours. Considering this was late afternoon on a Sunday I think we did pretty well.

We're still putting our plans together for the next steps but essentially we'll be combining the best of the new with the best of our red Festiva!

Keep watching this space!!! Oh, and thank you for your continued interest in our much delayed project.
            Last edited by fastivaca; 05-25-2015, 04:03 PM.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• So jelly rust free aqua. What engine/trans does it currently have? Was there two cars??
              Looks awesome Ian, eagerly awaiting your next update.
              93 Festiva L Aqua(Fern) 5speed 218,000kms-DD and holding on (rusting )
              93 Festiva L Caymen green Metallic 156,000km. 5speedOngoing project
              90 Festiva L Bright Blue Metallic 36,000km,5speed, my rust free BPproject.

Comment

• It really hurts to discover a 'good ole' car has ultimately failed the owner's 'soundness' test. I meticulously oil spray all of my rolling stock every year and oil/grease every single part that is removed or worked on. But none of my cars/trucks have ever been new (at time of purchase) and 20 years is a very long time when daily use, climate extremes and road salt (especially) are involved. I managed to keep 3 1993 Festys alive until last year and then grudgingly threw-in the towel. They weren't "done" outright, and far as I know are still out there, but at some point you are forced to think it through, cut your losses and appreciate that a 12 year-newer lo-mile Echo (or some such) allows you start over again for another decade of motoring.
                Canada would be a wonderful and receptive place for 'put out to pasture' sun-baked, no longer wanted and mechanically-neglected Arizona/California/Texas/Carolina Festys. Folks here would freak out to find intact exhaust heat shields, shiny brakes and nut and bolts that weren't seized on old cars that had no structural rust at all.
                Last edited by Bert; 05-25-2015, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Phantom grip? I won't use one of those POS ever again

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Go u haul ... Very impressive . Glad you had a safe rescue mission .
                    New build on the way .

Comment

• Glad it went to a good home! I'm going to miss the girl. But due to lack of time, I much much rather see it go to someone who will use it then let it rot away.

Comment

• Got started on the new car this afternoon. Seats are out, grill headlights etc are out too. Assessing what will stay and what will go.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Decisions... decisions. Which intercooler to use?

Top left is from a Mk3 Toyota Supra.
                          Top right is stock Mazda 323GT.
                          Bottom is a 21"x7"×2 1/4" aftermarket front mount.

Even considering going without and adding water/method injection in the manner than Charlie did on Tweak.
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I'd like your opinion on something to do with the "new" car. It is an L model which means the front widow frame and the B-pillar are body color. Like this...

My red car is a GL Sport and has the window frame and B-pillar painted black. I trying to decide if I should paint the frame and pillar black. I've just put electrical tape on to see what it might look like...

What do you think? Keep in mind that the side windows will have limo tint on them like the red car...

Thanks
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 06-04-2015, 06:14 PM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I like body color . But most like the black.

Comment

• I think the black adds a accent that improves the looks on that color for sure, most I prefer with the blackouts on.
                                -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                                -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                                -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Working...
                                X