No announcement yet.

Pedro the Festiva's build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a little more progress on Pedro over the weekend. The wiring is all wrapped up (pun intended) and I was able to start the final assembly on everything in the engine bay.

The manual N/A capri ECU I got from Rob is in it's new home. The harness is tucked away along the edge of the sound deadener material.

The engine harness goes through the passenger side fender well. The other wire going into the grommet is my wideband 02 sensor wire.

I added an extra clamp on the drivers side. I like my wiring to be supported well. I also wrapped the harness with friction tape where it passes behind the fenders. A lille extra protection.

Since Pedro needed a new master cylinder, I installed a new master cylinder and booster for a 99 miata. 1 port needed to be plugged, but the rest of the miata master cylinder fits just like the festiva one did. The brake lines fit perfectly without any bending required.
    In the above picture, you can also see that the crappy fusable link box has been replaced by a Capri fuse box. I also had to move the coolant overflow reservoir back a bit to allow clearance for the Capri airbox. You can see the support bracket I made under the reservoir.

Here are the finished airbox brackets in place.

New K&N filter in the Capri box.

The Capri airbox and intake fit better than they do in a Capri, lol. The filter is easy to remove and there is clearance all around the box.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-06-2015, 12:59 AM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• That looks great Charlie!!
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

• Pure awesome!! I

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Center Fold material!
          Don't let your parents find it!
          No car too fast !

Comment

• Looks awesome I wish I would have saved the air box and fuse box off the capri that I used for my engine swap 4 years ago... live and learn I guess.
            Looks great Charlie!

Comment

• Thanks guys! This swap would have gone a LOT faster had I started with an EFI festy, but this allowed me to build something a little different and breathe some new life into this nice little car. I was helping Clay (AZGTX) with one of his GTX's last week and we were joking around about how all this stuff somehow fits better in my Festivas than it does the 323, where it belongs. lol.

William, we all have those moments and it's what causes the hoarding disorder that a good portion of us have. lol. This car is a direct result of my hoarding condition. I need more room in my shed for more parts, so I decided to put some of my parts to good use.
              That fuse box can be found in a whole bunch of late 80's to mid 90's Mazda cars. I actually like the 323 cover better, but right now all I have is the capri one. Russ (CapriTypeR) from RooSport found me a brand new intake flex boot from a 323 that worked perfectly. It's hard to get pictures of it, but the festiva hood is clearanced perfectly to clear the Capri intake pipe and airbox. It all looks like Mazda intended to put this setup in this car.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Well, you seem to always make an installation look factory irregardless of what it is. Great work as usual.
                Jack Byrd,
                1991 Capri
                1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                1970 Chev C10
                1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Well, I didn't get the chance to do much to Pedro this week. I was busy most of the weekend, but I did get the fenders, bumper and lights back on. It'll be a few weekends before I can make any more progress as I'm going to MN this coming weekend. It's hard to be this close to driving Pedro and not be able to work on the car.

Comment

• ... and here I am putting flame stickers on my doors for the extra 2 horsepower.
                    -Coop

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Well, I didn't get the chance to do much to Pedro this week. I was busy most of the weekend, but I did get the fenders, bumper and lights back on. It'll be a few weekends before I can make any more progress as I'm going to MN this coming weekend. It's hard to be this close to driving Pedro and not be able to work on the car.
                      Charlie, I'm sorry as can be we ate up your Pedro build time, but your help in the machine shop, and particularly at the track are Truly appreciated !
                      Your machine, welding, and build skills, as well as your overwhelming generosity are only equaled by your Driving Skills!
                      Carolyn and I owe you one!

+1
                      No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                        Charlie, I'm sorry as can be we ate up your Pedro build time, but your help in the machine shop, and particularly at the track are Truly appreciated !
                        Your machine, welding, and build skills, as well as your overwhelming generosity are only equaled by your Driving Skills!

+1
                        Well said Ryal!!!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post

+1
                          Well thank you! Don't be sorry though, you guys have helped me in so many ways. I enjoy being able to return the favor. Plus, I would have driven just for Carolyn's Lasagna, you know that!

Comment

• So, thanks to 1990new, Fastivaca, and AZGTX I've been able to put grey interior in Pedro. I finished up all the engine wiring, including the oil pressure gauge harness and the harness to plug in my Innovate LM1 wide band (I can datalog A/F against Rpm with my laptop on this car now). I then built a harness that goes from my stereo head unit to the amp location under the drivers seat. I'll be using a Precision Power p900.5 amp to power ppi components in the doors and rear, and a 10" ppi sub behind the passenger seat. I then installed the Carpet, dash and the grey BF Tracer seats that I got out of Clays parts car. I ran out of daylight to take pictures, but here are a couple I took before dark.

This beautiful original early model grey carpet is courtesy of 1990new, the e-brake cover came from Fastivaca. Thanks guys!

Comment

• More comfortable drive to Madness this year?
                              Jack Byrd,
                              1991 Capri
                              1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                              1970 Chev C10
                              1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Exactly! I did the cross country trip 5 times with no radio. I'm going to have tunes this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X