Open track day and parts runner build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
    Do yourself a favor and make the linkage threaded in the middle for adjustment.
    In thoery this is a good idea, but be careful because it could loosen and leave you with only 2 speeds and no reverse at a bad time. I used solid stock inside the shifter rod, rather than a sleeve over it. It's a common size, but I can't remember what I used.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Yeah, I was leaning against an adjustable length just because I don't see why I would need it to be adjustable. Once I get it set up how I like it and weld it solid, I don't think I would really want to change it much.

More importantly though, I need to know if there is a difference between the the flywheels for the cable and hydro G series. I was planning to order some parts in the next couple days and realized that the flywheels are listed as two different part numbers, same clutch though. Can I use a hydro trans flywheel with my cable Trans?

Thanks to anyone who might have the answer.

Comment

Not sure if you got this yet, but I used a hydro Protege for the bp swap it did last summer. I put it in front of a cable g series with not problems. I used the hydro flywheel. I matched the new clutch I bought to the protege. I later read a recommendation to match the clutch to trans. I can't speak to that. All I know is what worked for me, but it may not matter

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
        '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
        '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by blake4591 View Post
          Yeah, I was leaning against an adjustable length just because I don't see why I would need it to be adjustable. Once I get it set up how I like it and weld it solid, I don't think I would really want to change it much.

More importantly though, I need to know if there is a difference between the the flywheels for the cable and hydro G series. I was planning to order some parts in the next couple days and realized that the flywheels are listed as two different part numbers, same clutch though. Can I use a hydro trans flywheel with my cable Trans?

Thanks to anyone who might have the answer.
          Yes, they interchange. Also a 1.8 miata flywheel works.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What's the heaviest flywheel possible

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, for the quick response guys. I'll have to get the flywheel and clutch ordered soon so everything keeps moving along.

I worked on the car a as much as I could over the holidays and am happy to report that I now have a rust free car. The shell ended up having 3 rust hole, one in each of the rear wheel wheels and one in the drivers floor. This car had a very heavy coat of undercoating, but the rust has had 27 years to find a way in. Besides that I wire wheeled all the areas on the shell that had surface rust and have everything primed and will be painting over the next week. I also cleaned up my rio knuckles and hubs using the electrolysis rust removal method to get in all of the little corners that you can't reach any other way. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some good pictures of finished parts ready to be put back together.

Comment

I'm still working on the car and ordering parts to get it back together. I put the blower motor and heater core in last nigh and ordered all of the wheel studs so I can get the knuckles together this week. Progress is sort of slow since I'm working on my house, improving the workshop and trying to get the car together all at the same time.

I'm trying to pick out some tires to use to run the first couple weekends out to get a feel for the car. I have heard good things about the 165/55R14 Achilles ATR-K ECONOMIST hear but I was also looking at the 185/55R14 Yokohama S. drive since it seems to generally be well liked. Does anyone have experience with both of these or thick that one is significantly better than the other. I'm leaning towards the Achilles since it's about have the price and I'll have to buy another set of track only tires at some point once I get some seat time in the car.

Comment

Charlie swears by the Achilles tires. Thats enough to me.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

The 185/55-14 tires won't fit inside the fenders without extensive surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Lul and mine are 205/55-14. Sounds like a project

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Which we did on Rosie after Trashwagon was wrecked. The S drives are great, but the package is a bit much, especially with the 1.3, we put them on the Mazda2.
                        go for Charlie's setup
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Well it looks like there is more support for the the Achilles tires so I'll go with them. I'll try to get them ordered some time in the next month or so.

I found another thing that is sort of interesting. I was looking at where to get a festiva front sway bar since the car has an aspire bar on it. I poked around in the junkyards but of course they are all rusted out under the bushings so I was thinking what is the best option for getting one in good shape. Then I remembered the fourgreen website and after a little looking found that they have both the 1.3L and 1.1L bars available. Does anyone know more about the 1.1L sway bar? I'm assuming it must be thinner which should be good for handling as long as it does not flex to much under power. I figure it's not much more to ship two of the bars compared to just one so I'll probably order both of them when I put my order in. I'm just wondering if anyone as any more info on it.

Comment

The 1.1 may require different bushings.

Comment

Keep us posted!
                              No car too fast !

Comment

The 1.1 may require different bushings.
                                It does. I have bushings for both the 1.3 and 1.1 bar in part number list I'm going to order.

Comment

Working...
                                X