Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Festivanoob View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19543[/ATTACH]

Funny we will almost be twins, just bought this B8-me swapped festy. and was looking on my local CL and almost bought the same rims you have there. I plan on turboing it in the future when I have to replace my clutch. The stock festy clutch holds well until you put the pedal to the floor in peak torque area, then shes slips a little on you. Are you planning on and upgraded clutch ?
    That's a clean Festy!
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

ya, its nice when you live in the only place in canada where it doesn't get cold. Definitely isn't super clean but as far as dents on a festiva go it doesn't get much better then it. just taking care of a few minor rattles. but it drives like a new car. Lighter wheels is where I'm going next.

Comment

Managed to get the engine out today. Took me a little over 3 hours. Not too shabby for a first timer working by himself! I had a little help with the hoist though. Now its time for clean up and prep for the B8!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

Nice.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I was able to get the engine in, wired up and started with some much needed assistance from DrFestiva88. Big shout out to him for the help!

There are a few things I need to do left, like put in the axles, new fluid for transmission and modify the downpipe (which is almost done.)

For now, enjoy a picture of my brand new flywheel:
            http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/TW...g.html?filters[user]=144693219&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/TW...g.html?filters[user]=144693219&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

Comment

Glad to help!

Comment

Put the rest of the car together and took it for a drive yesterday. Seemed to go fairly well, but there are a few bugs I'm going to work on tonight. I have a coolant leak somewhere that I need to chase down and it seems that I may have a vacuum leak as well. I am also going to do a compression test if I have the time so I have a bit more information on the health of this engine.

Drives great, just needs a bit of tweaking! Can't wait to get it running perfect! I'll try and get some pictures up sometime this week.

Comment

I was able to track down the coolant leak and the vacuum leak. The coolant was leaking at the heater core pipe closest to the passenger side. The pipe is a little crimped, like someone had used pliers and crushed it. This was how it was when I bought the car, but when I put the hose back on after the B8 swap, I used the wrong type of clamp. I used the plier type instead of the screw down type. (If that makes sense). The plier tightened type clamp did not provide enough force to prevent leaks, so I swapped the clamp and now I have no more leaks. I also replaced the clamp on the bottom radiator hose for the same reason.

The vacuum leak was found between the resonator box and the VAF. I had to get a rubber clamp from the auto parts store and put it on. I only had a metal screw down type clamp on it before, so this way it is much more secure. I was able to drive it to work today, which was around 20 miles. Runs well, but I believe I need to adjust the timing a tad because it's not quite perfect yet. I wasn't able to get to the compression test last night.

I'm also going to attempt to space the front cross member mounts so the intake manifold does not touch the firewall. I'm getting quite a bit of vibration because of it.
                  Last edited by TWFodor; 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Few updates, some old, some new.

I was going to space the crossmember but one of the bolts sheared off and I have yet to address it. I didn't try to loosen the other one in case it decided to follow suit.

The B8 is running quite well, but I still have not performed a compression test. I'm a terrible procrastinator.

I did paint the valve cover a few days ago. I love how bright the color is!

Comment

I had some left over paint from when I painted the valve cover so decided to put it to use. I think it turned out pretty good!

This is what I started with:

After some wire wheeling:

Bolts and washers cleaned up:

Finished product:

Comment

Made some additional progress. Biggest update is that I got some front coil-overs and installed them this week. Such a difference so far, and that's with only the fronts. Once I get the money I am going to get the rears done. I think it needs an alignment pretty bad now. Steering is really easy with the Rio mounts and the power rack. Steers easier than my wife's 05 Focus, strangely. It is almost too easy. I'm going to have to get used to it. Tires are rubbing the fenders under moderate cornering so I think I need to raise it up a little bit, maybe a half inch.

Drilling out the camber hole:

How she sits now:

I also did some more rust prevention, this time on my sway bar. I am currently parting out my old 90 L Plus so I took the sway bar off and started working on it. I sanded it with 80 grit, used a wire wheel, then used some 180 grit, and wire wheeled it again. Finished it off by washing it and drying it to get the rest of the dust off.

Ready for primer:

Primed:

Finished:

Before and after:

I'm quite liking cleaning up the underneath of the car. I plan on hitting the rear beam at some point and using black paint. Might try to do the steering knuckles and the brake calipers as well. I still need to do the front driver's side tow hook, too.

Lots of plans. Not enough time.
                        Last edited by TWFodor; 06-12-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Well I ended up having to replace my brake booster. I have been wanting to do this ever since I bought the car but never had a reason to. The car still had the stock Festiva booster and M/C, so I went to the local yard and got a booster and M/C from an auto Aspire. There were three to choose from but I grabbed the pair that were in the best shape. The other two were super rusty.

By the way, putting in this new booster was a BEAR. My least favorite project to date. I enjoyed cleaning it up though, as usual.

Comment

NICE.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Looking good man!
                              I can't get motivated to work on mine in this 95+ heat.
                              All this week after today is supposed to be good though.

Comment

Looking great!
                                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X