X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan that looks SO clean! Fleet Blue?
    No car too fast !

Comment

Nice!!! I bought a brand new '93 LX in that color, it was my second Festy after trashing a red '88. Love the wedding day pics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
        Ryan that looks SO clean! Fleet Blue?
        It does im not sure, paint code is T07. Anyone know what that is?
        Originally posted by radi8u View Post
        Nice!!! I bought a brand new '93 LX in that color, it was my second Festy after trashing a red '88. Love the wedding day pics!!!
        Thanks! How long did you have the 93? I think this guy i bought it from got it from the original owners 6 months ago. Still all the original sale stuff in the glovebox.

Only started working on it at 5:30 pm today so i didnt get much done. Gonna get it insured so i can take it to the car wash. Then i will dry it out, oil everything underneath and clean the inside for sound deadner.
        So whoever painted everything inside black was a hack....

Look! No rust holes! Lol. Still a bit of rust but i will soak all rusty spots in oil.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          haha! now that's funny! (and sad at the same time).
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            I wish. This was quite unexpected as well as last minute. I do not have a passport yet and would not be able to get one on time. Best i could do is meet someone at the boarder. There is one thats kinda ok just south of the boarder but for too much money for what it is and would need to pass an inspection. It looks and sounds iffy on that.

Thanks for those tips on where to seal. You do mean the pinch weld right? Or the seam where the floor pan meets the inner sill?
            I worked in autobody for quite a while and its unbelievable how much they skimp on paint on inner panels. Ive seen many 5-6 year old vehicles rusting badly inside doors or around welds. All it would take is more paint (60% of the problem) or seam sealer like you mentioned or wax oil after assembly. It would be so simple. What type of sealent were you thinking of?
            We did a lot of paint recall work on nissans. It takes a lot for a paint recall to happen and its pretty sick the mistakes they make.
            When i get another festiva here hopefully soon i will wash it and dry it out well, install my sound deadner and then seam seal and spray everything i can with rust preventative oil.
            If your making a trip up to motanna anytime soon you could bring one with you and id buy it

I did mean the lower pinch weld seam. I wish I could save every rust free shell that gets crushed here and ship it to the people who need them. Instead, we crush cars and put a lot of energy into melting them down to build new cars. That's the green thing to do, right? (Sarcasm)
            Originally posted by william View Post
            I would get some 3m cavity wax and 360 wand. There's rubber plugs in the inner rear wheel well that will give access to the inner rocker and the reinfoment that the rear bean mounts to.
            This should be repeated annually for best results. .
            Manufacturers don't pur anything in there because if cars lasted longer we wouldn't buy new lol and it's a easy place to cut cost that doesn't show that there cheap in out.
            Great tip! I didn't know what to use, I just know that this is the most vulnerable spot on these little cars.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

It's like 15 a can on autobody tool mart. That wond kits about the same.
              I would also get some arisol gun cleaner to clean out the wond after use.
              Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
              I called around. It sucks that the places that sell to autobody shops wont sell to an individual. The 3m aerosol is $30 and a knockoff is $20/can. I think ill try some of the knockoff stuff. Only place that i found to sell me liquid and a sprayer wanted $100 for the sprayer and $60 for a gallon of wax oil. The body shop i used to work at got 5 gallon pails of the stuff but those places wont sell to me.

Comment

Really? That's crazy.
                Sim makes some too that works well.
                I can get tge sim just about anywhere we get it from dust-n-sons it's like a napa

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                  haha! now that's funny! (and sad at the same time).
                  I felt the same way. Now i dont know what to do with the carpet...

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  I did mean the lower pinch weld seam. I wish I could save every rust free shell that gets crushed here and ship it to the people who need them. Instead, we crush cars and put a lot of energy into melting them down to build new cars. That's the green thing to do, right? (Sarcasm)

Great tip! I didn't know what to use, I just know that this is the most vulnerable spot on these little cars.
                  Good, thanks. ill spray a lot of oil in there and then get some wax oil for on top.

That would be nice, a lot of people here would love a rust free car.

Yes. Those ads for ' come buy a brand new SUV that gets 1mpg better than your old one and save the environment' ads make me mad. I change radio stations a lot... you would think the people who go crazy on environmental stuff would realize what it takes to make something or where the materiels for their fancy batteries and power for their electric cars is made, but no... anyway

I used to work in a bodyshop and used that stuff on my and my friends personal cars, seemed to keep them from rusting. I think it works well and is worth it if the vehicle isnt already rusting. Problem is most here already are. And to do a nice job you have to take the car apart which is a lot of work if you arent already doing it for some other purpose. But then you get to see how poorly an expensive vehicle is put togeather and how little paint they put on the inside of panels. So thats cool. The most mind blowing for me was taking apart nissan GTR's. Just unreal. Its incredible what they hold togeather with household staples, tiny plastic clips and aluminum as thick as my fingernails...

Comment

Really? That's crazy.
                    Sim makes some too that works well.
                    I can get tge sim just about anywhere we get it from dust-n-sons it's like a napa

Yup. Napa wants $41 for one spray can of proform. The place i called that carries SEM doesnt have their waxoil unfortunatly. Maybe i should see what i can get online.

Comment

We've got this stuff at work. It works awesome to prevent rust. It is very thin when sprayed and then dries to a waxy finish, and it smells like melted crayons.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-13-2016, 03:28 PM.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Use zinc as a sacrificial anode - zinc based primers, zinc coated bolts, screws etc. will help prevent mild steel from rusting. Electrons will transfer from zinc to steel, replenishing the electrons lost to oxygen.

Along the same lines, the flow of electrons can be reversed.... so avoid using stainless steel products.

Comment

We've got this stuff at work. It works awesome to prevent rust. It is very thin when sprayed and then dries to a waxy finish, and it smells like melted crayons.
                          Yummy its interesting- on their website its $126 for 6 spray cans or $270 for a 5 gallon pail.. looks like shippers supply has it here for $30/can.

About that pinch weld- i had a look at that today since i sprayed most of the bottom of my car with oil. Thats actually a drain for the rocker. On mine anyway the rocker pinch weld is tight and seam sealed front to back except for a drain hole at the end of each. So what happens is you get dust and dirt in there and when that gets wet and turns to mud it plugs the drain hole and it cannot dry out in there. Then everything rusts. So best thing to would be to use a thin thin oil rather than this wax oil stuff which would probably plug it. And a couple times a year when you have an air nozzle handy blow some air up those 4 holes to clear them.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 12-14-2016, 01:29 AM.

Comment

On my 88, water dripped out of the entire seam like it wasn't sealed well. Maybe wax oil could be used and then the drain could be cleared out with a thin pick. The problem with oil is that it will rise to the top of standing water, leaving the metal unprotected. The oil will eventually wash out. The wax stays adhered to the panels and creates a better barrier against the water, unless it lifts and moisture gets trapped between the wax and the metal, then it's worse than no protection at all.
                            I found it easier to just move to the desert.

Comment

On my 88, water dripped out of the entire seam like it wasn't sealed well. Maybe wax oil could be used and then the drain could be cleared out with a thin pick. The problem with oil is that it will rise to the top of standing water, leaving the metal unprotected. The oil will eventually wash out. The wax stays adhered to the panels and creates a better barrier against the water, unless it lifts and moisture gets trapped between the wax and the metal, then it's worse than no protection at all.
                              I found it easier to just move to the desert.
                              Yes, the obvious solution. ;-) We will all come to Phoenix next year.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

This isnt factory welding is it.....? Rear steel bumper was from a wrecker. Other than these 2 terrible welds i dont see anything though. Strange. Normally if someone did that bad of a job at welding a repair theres other bad spots too.

Comment

Working...
                                X