Moses Build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddragon View Post
    Use zinc as a sacrificial anode - zinc based primers, zinc coated bolts, screws etc. will help prevent mild steel from rusting. Electrons will transfer from zinc to steel, replenishing the electrons lost to oxygen.

Along the same lines, the flow of electrons can be reversed.... so avoid using stainless steel products.
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to look for zinc based primers.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    On my 88, water dripped out of the entire seam like it wasn't sealed well. Maybe wax oil could be used and then the drain could be cleared out with a thin pick. The problem with oil is that it will rise to the top of standing water, leaving the metal unprotected. The oil will eventually wash out. The wax stays adhered to the panels and creates a better barrier against the water, unless it lifts and moisture gets trapped between the wax and the metal, then it's worse than no protection at all.
    I found it easier to just move to the desert.
    I see, well im not going to pour mine full of water to see, buti think its sealed ok
    I was using the term oil loosley. The wax stuff i have seen is reasonably thick and wont flow into the seam between 2 pieces of metal that are welded very well. The oil im using is this:

If the propoganda about it on the internet and back of the can is to be believed it repells water well, flows into small cracks easily and is very hard to rub off or get off. Stinks like you wouldnt believe too, thats always good right? I plan to also get some aerosol wax oil tomorrow to try out.
    Originally posted by TominMO View Post
    Yes, the obvious solution. ;-) We will all come to Phoenix next year.
    Haha, i would probably melt before i got there. I spent half an hour outside in -4f with an incredibly strong wind trying to thaw out 5 feet of frozen waterpipe earlier this week. I would take that over being anywhere above 95f..

So im cleaning the car trying to get ready to do sound deadner on saterday. Took the rear steel bumper off and it was right full of dirt, so pretty heavy. Grabbed it to move it with one hand and my thumb went right through it! Cut myself pretty good too. The bumper was replaced and i guess they took a super rusty one off another car to do it with. Good thing i bought a new one.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread was really cool to read. Very interesting stuff. I have a new point of view for the old festys. They are stouter than i imagined. Very cool indeed. Hope to see some more progress. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by reyestuninggarag View Post
        This thread was really cool to read. Very interesting stuff. I have a new point of view for the old festys. They are stouter than i imagined. Very cool indeed. Hope to see some more progress. Cheers!

Thanks! I have been putting in some long hours on it and hope to update this soon. I may start a new build thread though as its a different car. Not sure yet. They are tough cars!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          Thanks! I have been putting in some long hours on it and hope to update this soon. I may start a new build thread though as its a different car. Not sure yet. They are tough cars!

Nice! Well ill be watching for sure. Keep up the good work mate! [emoji106]

Comment

I started a different build thread for the new car. Its here: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59836

Comment

Well, i drove the car i replaced this with all summer, now its time to park that one for the winter to continue working on getting it ready for our trip and I decided to get this one back on the road for the winter.
              So i worked some late hours just to replace all the parts i robbed off it for the blue car so i could drive it to work. That was more work than i had figured on :/
              Had to replace thermostat and housing, all coolant hoses, battery cable ends, seats, some wiring, pcv hoses, taillights, headlights and signal lights with bad ones that worked sort of. I pulled the intake tubing off and poured the oil/snot out of it and tried to clean it a bit. When i removed my license plate last year i had to cut the bolts off the plate because they were rusted right to it so i couldnt use the plastic clips you screw into or get them out really so i just ran screws into the side of the plastic to hold the plate on.

After 3 miles a high and a low beam blew out so i drove it in the dark with one headlight on a snowy and icy road with bald summer tires and no interior 32 miles to the shop where i work. That was exciting.

I got new signal lights, headlights and grille clips from Ian and put them on. I applied clear 3m paint protection film to the headlights in hopes of reducing chips and cracks as well as perhaps keeping them waterproof if it still happens.
              installed my grille blocker, installed new lca's and bushings, made a new rustproofing video, plasticed and taped up the whole interior then put the interior panels back on. Insulated the back, taped up the cold air vents, put rainx on the windshield (not sure if it makes it easier to scrape ice off, heres hoping) and their antifog on the inside, fixed my wiring messes, installed winter tires, tried to install a radio which didnt work, tried to patch a slow leak in a tire which didnt work (bead leak) and tried to do a wheel alignment which didnt work.
              I went to my parts cars (3hr drive) to pull some spindles and a clutch spring.

Then nov 6 i drove it back home! Its loud and rattley but its my car its very, very different from the blue one! Wow. The sound deadner, resonator, suspension, alignment, a/c, power mirrors, gauges and so on make the blue car kind of luxury compared to this. I really miss the gauges, i dont even have the basic nessecities now.

I still have to insulate coolant hoses, plug the big hole in the floorboards, install relay harnesses to the headlights and find some auxillary high/low beams, get a radio and so on, but ill get to that soon.

This is basically just getting it back on the road as cheap as possible but adding auxilary lights and relay harnesses so i can see at night. I mean its already cost me over $400 but a lot of that can be taken off after right? :/

Wiring issues when you just rip stuff out never planning to use the car again...

New headlights and signal lights!

The film i used.

Link to more talk about the film on facebook. Some solutions there for preventing cracks.
              Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

This is why i use it. This is a better headlight of mine, they seem to do this fast for me. Guys on facebook were saying they have had headlights last decades but ive replaced at least 6 in 10yrs and not until they look like this.

Made it farther than this but had to walk a ways to get to my parts cars. Shoulda had the festiva...

Always seems im pulling parts in the snow...

Brought my old subwoofers home! These sounded so nice. But their heavy.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-07-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

(2/2, too many photos for the last post)

They were on the road togeather for one day! Camber vs no camber...

Should be warm. Good investment if you drive in the cold

Taped up vents, no cold hands!

Took forever to find this tiny leak on the bead :/

Gas went up $0.35/L since i drove it last!

I spent years trying to get this interior light to work. The one in my blue car doesnt work either. Park this car for a year and all of a sudden it works!

Very old photo but thats my grille blocker closer up.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-07-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Snowing up there already?........Brrrrrr. It looks COLD!
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                    Snowing up there already?........Brrrrrr. It looks COLD!
                    Yes, it is cold and annoying. We had plenty of warning (first snowfall was late september iirc) but i still wasnt ready for it to stay :/
                    I actually wouldnt mind so much if it didnt slow traffic down so bad and make my commute take way longer.

Comment

Out where I live there is not much snow and fortunately it usually melts the same day. I know what you mean about slowing down your commute. When I was driving a truck for a living I sometimes had to go to Colorado. I seen many a roll over on Hwy 550 or I 25. Usually a jacked up 4 wheel drive vehicle. Some of those drivers don't have a clue. Be safe my friend.
                      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Thanks, ill try.
                        This is the time of year we go from hating bmw's and lifted dodge pickups to hating jeeps. The first decent snowfall commute we were stuck behind a slow one for a long time, one slid through an intersection but stopped in the middle so all the crossing tradfic had to go around him, one was on its roof in the ditch beside the loaded semi he took with him, another was dead on the side of the road and there was a really bad tbone wreck i didnt get a good look at, but it may have been a jeep or an fj curiser. All in one night to get home :/

One disadvantage to having no seats: last night i was on my way home at about 10:30 and there were 2 guys walking with a gerry can it was cold, snowing and they had a couple miles to go so i pulled over to offer them a ride before i remembered i had no spare seats. They took the ride in the back over walking anyway but i may need to put the front seat back in. I carry a tow rope, booster cables, air compressor and patches, different size tire irons and a huge bag of tools all so i can help stranded people out. Not having a seat doesnt help things.
                        I think i have to put it back in. Im just remembering 6 years ago heading to work on a 6 lane freeway in -30c i saw a car on the side of the road with no exhaust coming out and a guy in it. It was pretty dangerous to stop and thats why no one else had but i pulled over and gave him a ride. His car had died and he only had a light jacket and no gloves, he was shaking so hard he could barely hold his cell phone, i doubt he could have dialed a number. He probably would have froze if he sat there another 10 minutes-he hadnt called 911. 8 or 9 miles later i picked up some natives that ran out of gas.
                        I think i just talked myself into putting the seat back in. Kinda too bad, i like not having it there.

Comment

St. Ryan :salute:

Comment

Had an interesting drive home! I put this on facebook but I was having alternator issues last week where the car was fine to drive one place to another, but if i shut it off and then reaterted while it was still warm the alternator wouldnt work. Happened 3 times and all 3 times as soon as the alt cooled off it worked again. So i went to get an alternator from julian today after work. Got back to the shop where i work, worked a while longer, did a couple things to the car but it was 9pm and i didnt feel like changing the alt. Started heading home. Was on the freeway thinking 'man, i havent checked my engine oil for a while, better do that before i run out'. My engine was running hotter than normal but i have the rad blocked. 2 miles later Passing a semi i had no power. Floored it and i wasnt passing him. Figured i had run out of oil so i pulled over. Busy freeway, its super cold out, quickly checked the oil and it was fine. Fired the car back up and no alternator.... figured id just drive ro the next town and as the alt cooled off in the wind it would come back on. Got to the town and the car was running weird so i pulled over. Popped the hood and the clamp on my bypass hose had cut the hose and most of my coolant was gone. Cut the hose shorter, clamped it back on. Ran to a store and got coolant. Filled er up, started it back up and no alternator.... it was 10pm so i figured id try and make it home instead of my wife getting the kids up and driving an hour for me. Snowing and blowing of course so i turned my taillights on so people could see me, but headlights off. Managed to follow people closely enough that it worked till a few miles from home the guy in front decided to do over 80mph. I tried for a little while but it was too snowy to do that. Light on the dash was super dim by the time i got home but i made it! 22 miles with no alternator at night in a snowstorm with a not great battery and i started it 6 times.
                            However when i got home and popped the hood the bypass hose was cut by the hoseclamp again and i had no more coolant.
                            So im not sure if the head gasket blew. But ill have to replace the alt to find out... :/
                            Fun fun.

Comment

Ask Santa to bring you a set of these from Four Green for Christmas...

It was 13C and sunny all day yesterday.
                              Open jacket.
                              I had fun at the junk yard yesterday.
                              I only saw one other person in the yard.
                              I got a lot of sun and a lot of fresh air.
                              It sure looks brutal where you are.
                              The golf courses are still open here.
                              The leaves are only half down.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 11-22-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                                Ask Santa to bring you a set of these from Four Green for Christmas...

It was 13C and sunny all day yesterday.
                                Open jacket.
                                I had fun at the junk yard yesterday.
                                I only saw one other person in the yard.
                                I got a lot of sun and a lot of fresh air.
                                It sure looks brutal where you are.
                                The golf courses are still open here.
                                The leaves are only half down.
                                My blue festiva has all new coolant hoses, this one has the best of my old junk... lol/not lol... when i very first joined this forum someone mailed me a brand new little bypass hose. That was my first introduction to how nice people are on this forum. I have no idea who it was now though.
                                I had 2 of them on my fourgreen list but ill probably make that 3 or 4 or 10.

Hope to get that ordered soon. As much as the cold and snow can be annoying christmass without a foot of snow and cold would just be weird....

Comment

Working...
                                X