Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 Kia Pride Wagon

Hi everybody!

I just registered to this nice website because I scratched the itch and bought another old rusty car... A '99 Kia Pride Wagon! Yes, it's not a Festiva and the more i read the more differences show but the information on here is still very useful, so thanks in advance!

I'm from germany, study mechanical engineering and may have a little addiction to older cars. I have a turbocharged Mazda Miata, a VW T4 camper and a few other retro/rusty/old cars. The Prides purpose is mainly winter duty while the miata is off the road but i have plans

So here it is:

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-22 at 09.08.09.jpg

This is what 265$ get you over here.

Before i can register it i have to pass inspection so a bit of welding and new tires are needed. Not really a problem, altough i kind of saw it disappearing in the crusher when I poked through the rear axle attachment on the chassis htd But it's not too far gone so it will be saved.

the further plans for the car, and a main reason why I bought it, is to mount a sweet set of 4x114,3 wheels i had laying around for a while:

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-21 at 20.51.15 (1).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-11-21 at 20.51.15 (2).jpg

They are SSR MK1, worth a few times more than the car but who cares They are incredibly rare over here in europe so I'm really excited
    Of course a healthy drop is needed and a bigger engine would be nice, too.

I'm off to the garage now, the welder calls me. I hope I have updates soon!

Max

*edit* Sorry for the small pictures hmmmmmm you can see them better and probably updated more often on my insta @the_majestic_m00se if you are into this. But I will try and update here with better pictures.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by m00se; 11-22-2016, 04:43 AM.

Welcome to the Community m00se! Thats a cool looking car, it is the first Festiva Wagon I have seen on here, keep us updated with its progress.

For larger images you can use Photobucket and just copy and paste the IMG link.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Festiva wagon both my automotive desires the want is real😍😍😍

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
      Festiver
      93 L find/5 speed
      BP/g15mr swapped
      Aspire brake swapped
      Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
      stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
      rustful
      maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
      advanced suspension
      kai/skeeter camber
      b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Originally posted by Festiver View Post
        Festiva wagon both my automotive desires the want is real

Haha yes That's why i searched for wagons only altough we have 3 and 5 door "short" versions as well. I love the little rails on the roof, just like a real wagon

I even have an update:

I just spent a few hours in the garage welding the first patch in the driver side rear wheel well next to the seat belt attachment. Thankfully it was only the part where the Seat cushion is mounted and not the belt itself. Feels safer like that... Next is the sill in front of the rear wheel and the floor under the clutch pedal.

I also tried diagnosing why the car runs like poop, I suspect the fuel system. The car starts perfect and runs good for a few seconds then starts dropping rpms down to 3-500, runs on 3 cylindres and dies. If i push the gas pedal the car revs fast and free but starts dropping rpm as soon as I hold the gas pedal constantly.
        I checked the ignition and changed the spark plugs, checked the fuel filter and fuel delivery. I also added 5 litres fresh gas because I suspected a empty tank or bad gas. The pump works but the stream of gas coming out of the hose looks a bit weak compared to my miata. Does this sound familiar to anyone here?
        Last edited by FestYboy; 11-23-2016, 05:42 PM. Reason: Language

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I wish we had gotten those wagons here. A lot of the info on this site should be applicable to your car.
          Check for air leaks. Any broken hoses or cracks in the inlet piping will cause a condition like you've described. Also, old fuel will make them run poorly. Has it been sitting for long?
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Welcome to the forum! I wish we had gotten those wagons here. A lot of the info on this site should be applicable to your car.
            Check for air leaks. Any broken hoses or cracks in the inlet piping will cause a condition like you've described. Also, old fuel will make them run poorly. Has it been sitting for long?

Thanks! I checked for air leaks and found some broken hoses, already changed those. But i know how an engine acts with air leaks, it doesn't feel like this in my case. I should have mentioned, I'm a qualified mechanic The old fuel theory sounded very plausible as the car really stood at least a few months before i bought it. Also the gauge was on E so I put some new fuel in. It didn't change anything but maybe it wasn't enough fresh fuel to thin out the old. I'll put some more in just to be sure.

Comment

If all that looks good, double check ignition timing and cam timing. They idle low if the ignition timing is retarded.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'll check this tomorrow. Thank you!

Comment

Ok so I checked a few things today:

The fuel pump works like it should, the gas is fresh. All injectors are ticking and their gaskets are tight.

I checked the cam timing and its spot on. I also found out the timing belt was changed before, somebody marked the cam gear with white colour. That's cool because I didn't get any information about a change from the preowner.

The ignition timing is where it gets a bit complicated... I got it up to running temperature by holding the throttle open a bit, otherwise it would have shut off. Then I bridged the diagnostic box and put the timing light on it. I found the marks but they are way advanced and the distributor is at the end of its slotted hole already so I can't adjust it to the 10°BTDC where it should be. One problem here though, I didn't find a way to adjust the idle speed like I know from my miata. So it idled at about 4-500rpm which makes the timing adjustment kind of useless. So where to adjust idle speed on a EFI B3?

I hate when build threads become personal help threads before there is any progress... but thanks, it really helps

Comment

Base idle screw is on the throttle body opposite the throttle cable. It sits in a covered recess.
                    With the dizzy set as described, advance the cam one tooth (clockwise as you look at the gear). That will give you another 8* advance. It's easy to be a tooth off and not see it.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Also, is the main accessory pulley a 2 piece harmonic damper style or just a solid pulley? Over here, the B3 never came with a Damper, but we didn't get the engine as long as you did. If your pulley looks like your Miata's pulley, it may have slipped. Those damper pulleys slip and the marks can't be trusted.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-23-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

+1 ^
                        If that checks out make sure your top cam gear locator pin is in and stright I've seen them get loose and slot them selfs or bend the pen and mess up the timing.
                        Last edited by william; 11-23-2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=Mjk4MDk=
                          Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=Mjk4MTE=

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                            +1 ^
                            If that checks out make sure your top cam gear locator pin is in and stright I've seen them get loose and slot them selfs or bend the pen and mess up the timing.
                            The pictures aren't working for me but I think i've seen them before while searching for answers. I checked the pin and it's good, no wear on pin or gear.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            Also, is the main accessory pulley a 2 piece harmonic damper style or just a solid pulley? Over here, the B3 never came with a Damper, but we didn't get the engine as long as you did. If your pulley looks like your Miata's pulley, it may have slipped. Those damper pulleys slip and the marks can't be trusted.
                            It's a solid pulley, not like the miata.

Any ideas on how to set idle speed on this engine? I found some information here but there seems to be a difference between Festiva B3 and the later. Do Aspire have a VAF?

Comment

Aspire runs a MAF (hot wire system). They do not have a base idle set screw. It's ECU controlled IAC stepper motor system. It may be sticking or the port clogged.

Have you been able to kick the cam over one tooth yet?
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X